Sharp XV-Z91 Review by Kramer (me!).

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kramer, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is here.

Comments &/or questions, fire away.

:smoke:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Nice review .. short and to the point. :D

Did you notice any diminution of rainbows with the Z91 over the HT1000 .. IIRC you had one of those some time back .. given the 5x speed of the Z91 as against the 4x of the NEC?

I couldn't live with the NEC but I live in hope one day a DLP will be made I can live with .. settled on a Z2 for now.

3. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks Kramer.

Good job. The lower end of the DLP market seems to get very little coverage here. The Sub £2k market seems dominated by the LCDs.

Having now seen DLP and not had rainbow issues, I can honestly say I have seen the light (or should that be dark?!) and DLP is, in my opinion, streets ahead of LCD.

The lack of noise, vbs, smooter image and blacker blacks just can't be matched.

So no comparisons with the HS10? Or any other projectors at a similar price level you have seen?

Cheers
    Marc

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NEC HT1000 review here.

The Sharp has far less "rainbowing" than the NEC. I'm particularly susceptible & could quite happily watch the Z91 for hours without issue. The very occasional "flash" but not a problem.

uczmeg,

Didn't opt for a direct comparison as the HS10 & Z91 are about as far apart as two PJs could be.

I love the resolution of the HS10 but it looses out to DLP in terms of absolute black level & CR.

As you say, plenty of discussion here about cheap/entry level LCDs but competing DLPs shouldn't be discounted (apart from the X1 :D ).

Z9000 review in the next day or two.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice review..... maybe i shoulda got one of them! :D

I wonder would anyone be happy for me to test projectors..... the way im shredding my Z2 at the moment, i doubt it! :D

ad

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

7. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nice review Kramer.

Do you imagine the results from a progressive scan dvd player would compare in any way to your findings?

Allthough I will do my best to demo this slightly out of my current price range pj, I cant help thinking the dreaded rainbows will defeat me.

Have you done similar reviews on any budget LCD's? (Sanyo's etc) If so links would be very usefull. I need to buy somthing before Xmas.

Thanks again for your time and well presented review.

Cheers

Chipster

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Now THAT is very useful to know Kramer, thanks.

I read the 1000 review before I got one to try ... I just wasn't sure it was YOU who posted it when I asked my question earlier, so I hedged my bets. ;)

Would you think it's down to the 5x wheel speed alone or is there some other jiggery-pokery that may help? IOW, would you expect to see a similar improvement in all 5x projectors?

9. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    Having chatted a good deal to the guys at Nexnix I have just bought a Z91e, (with free Harman & Kardon DVD30), Harman & Kardon 2550 receiver, KEF Eggs and REL Quake Sub. This is for an install I am doing this weekend for the builder who built my cinema room. I have had the Z91e hooked up to the DVD30 for the past week so have been able to do direct comparisons with my HS10 which is fed via DVI from my HCPC. I would agree with everything Kramer says in his review. The colours and contrast on the Z91 were much more profound compared to my HS10, plus I saw no rainbows. I was much impressed by the Z91's quietness, which was a revelation compared to my HS10. I could barely make out any fan noise at all from the Z91 in even the quietest of scenes. The HS10 fed via HCPC was, however, clearly superior in resolution to the Z91 through the prog scan DVD30.

The Z91 is a great PJ and can be bought for a great price at the moment. It is also worth nothing that, according to Nexnix, it is also backed up by rock-solid reliability. Their rate of returns on Sharp PJs is minimal compared to Sonys, Panasonics or Sanyos. Would I swap it for my HS10? Well, it's close, but no! At the end of the day the higher resolution of the HS10 wins my vote. :smashin:

Cheers,

Jules

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Why?

Seriously, in what way does the higher res. make a difference? On what material?

Enquiring minds are interested. :)

11. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    May be I hadn't set the Z91 up properly, but the image was definitely blockier than my HS10. This is not something I am used to seeing on my HS10. Apart from the contrast in connections (HS10 via HCPC and Z91 via component from prog scan DVD) everything was otherwise equal. The PJs were set the same distance (12ft) from my 7ft wide screen. The screen is a permanent one I built with Matt Plus material supplied by Harkness Hall.

Jules

12. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I can certainly believe it'd be blockier than the HS10.

Was this at 4:3 or 16:9? I think the only thing against the Z91 as an entry-level DLP is that in 16:9 the resolution is barely adequate for R1 DVDs, and insufficient for R2s without losing detail.

13. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    This was in 16:9 or 'stretch' mode as the Z91 would have it, which, as you suggest, might account for the difference.

The unit is all packed up now ready for installing but I will take another look at it on Sunday when it is installed.

Jules

14. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,675
    I can endorse all of Kramers comments - I bought a Z91E from Nexnix a few months ago, and it is awesome for the money (although I don't have his experience of course!). Much better than equivalently priced LCD's I looked at (mainly Panny 300, also the Sanyo machine - can't remember the number - Z1?) provided rainbows are not a problem - haven't seen one, so I must be immune!.
    I use it in stretch 16.9 mode, and suppose there must be a loss of data with DVDs but with nothing to compare it with I can't really comment. Build quality is really excellent too, and it also looks nice. I find the fan noise a little intrusive, although at 29db the spec is better than most. There is only vertical lense shift - the digital keystone correction on horizontal is not too great, so all that stuff about positioning at the side of the room can be taken with a pinch of salt.
    It's also a doddle to set up - I bring it out and put away each time. 5 mins max including putting the screen up.
    With a free DVD30 (which I missed out on - damn, why the hell did you mention that Kramer, I feel sick!) this must be the bargain of the year. I was actually thinking of buying this DVD player, but won't now on principle!
    I found Nexnix a superb company to deal with (although I bought it mail order in the end - local supplier just too expensive at the time). If anyone didn't want the DVD I'm sure they would give a discount - mine was a bit cheaper than this after I declined on the 'free' screen offer they had on at the time.
    Anyone in the North West welcome to come have a look at it in action to see if they could live with a 4.3 panel and a 16.9 screen(for a small price - a DVD30!)

15. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Heh!

Found an error (sort of), 800 x 600 is SVGA. :D :smashin:

16. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fixed it, thanks :)

17. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i have been considering this against a s/h sim 200dm from projectorsrus (which i have not seen yet) and can honestly say i do not know why anybody bothers with lcd, all these z2 and ae100 threads on the forum with people saying how good these projectors are. Everytime i have ever seen one i thought they were poor. Too many members worrying about spec and wide screen option when LUCY (from nexnix) put it best saying
    "never mind the spec look at the picture"
    my two bobsworth cheers.

18. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Affordability, lack of rainbowing & more recently, resolution.

19. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Ahh D-ILA/LCOS/WXRD the king of resolution!

(because it relies on CMOS chips behind the LC layer and not transistors on it), which technically means you don't have any pixels as such on a D-ILA device.:)

(Say's ReTrO wishing for a JVC HX-1 for Chrimbo. :rotfl: )

20. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    like i said maybe i have not seen one hooked up to htpc (bad enough the projector making noise) and calibrated properly.
    try watching FEAR.COM or SEVEN on lcd.
    Im no expert so you can easily dazzle me with tech talk, just mho:smashin:

21. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LCDs should be used soley for animations IMO, Monsters Inc., Shrek, Finding Nemo etc.....

:D

22. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    have you seen sim dm200, what do you think against z91

23. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    but most people start this FP lark with a budget LCD PJ and quickly get bitten by the PJ bug and only then start learning what else is out there, DLP etc, and what improvements can be made with cash. Dont forget, when the sharp was an option for me it was on average £800.00 more than I had/could afford, and it was nearer £2.5 k than the bargain Nexnix are selling it at now.

IMO:lesson:

I know I wish I had a Tardis, but ho hum, thats life:laugh:

Cap:)

24. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Kramer did you consider the Optoma range? I saw a H50 about a year ago but dismissed it because of rainbows although I thought the picture quality was pretty good. The H56 is now available at not much more than the Z91 and has a higher resolution. The colour wheel is quicker than the H50 but not as quick as the Z91 so rainbows may still be a problem for me.

How good is your camera? To be honest I thought the pictures were a little disappointing but I haven't managed to take a picture of my screen that does it justice. I currently have a Sony G70 crt projector which produces a picture with great detail but two of the tubes are shot so the light levels are pretty low even by CRT standards.

I'm trying to decide whether to try and save £2k for new tubes or sell it and put the money towards a DLP. With new tubes the G70 would probably blow away nearly everything but it's a lot of money to spend on a rapidly disappearing technology. The G70 is also very noisy. I've built a huge hushbox for it which helps a lot but it still too intrusive during quiet sections of a movie.

25. chuenmanc

chuenmanc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello

I also recently bought this from Nexnix, and am pretty happy with it just pointing at a beige wall. One question - how do I enable the low power mode? I can't see this referenced in the manual or in the menu options.

Thanks

Chuen

26. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Is it available? I've been keeping an eye on this one over on AVS and until the last few days people were still saying it's unobtainable, over there at least. It's been promised for months it seems.

27. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Kramer - I've was looking at the Audiovision powerbuy offer. There way no mention of long delays but then again no mention of a firm delivery date. I thought the H56 wasn't a particularly new model hence the big discount on the original retail price so I'm surprised they are in short supply or am I missing something?

I think I need to find out how much my crt is worth before making a decision but I think it's time for more demos, hopefully better than the last one I went to at Sevenoaks in Leicester!

28. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There's a thread over on AVS with posts going back to September where people report being told "two weeks", this seems to have still been going on at the start of this month.

29. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think the delays are for the new H76 not the discounted H56.

30. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I saw a prototype HS76 a couple months ago at work, the Optoma guys are just round the corner. It looked nice and was quite quiet, but it produced a lot of heat and the picture was shocking at the time.

Hope it's better now.