Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sharp XV-Z90E just arrived...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Corleone88, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally I received my Sharp XV-Z90E yesterday.
    Here is a quick review (I will give more details later):
    Before this projector, I owned a Plus Piano (sold the same day I received the Sharp :) ). I also saw plenty of different projectors (LCD and CRT).
    First the Z90 is bigger than the Piano but slightly quieter. It looks very nice (my wife appreciated and compared it to a space ship) and very easy to install. You can orientate the angle and move the picture up or down without any distortion (lens shift dial). Without changing any settings, I plugged my HTPC (VGA ouput) and the picture looks really bad. It was much too bright and I was used to the contrasted picture of the Piano. That was a big disappointement. After adjusting the picture options in the main menu (the colour temp. is set at 8500K by default :rolleyes: ), it looked better, but it was far from good enough. To get an excellent picture, I needed to adjust the brightness of Red, Blue and Green in the Advanced Menu and set it around -20. What some strange default settings !! Well I had to spend my entire afternoon to set up the pj. At the end, it was worth it. Great blacks (slightly better than the Piano and much better than LCDs), the colours are stunning (very long to adjust correctly), no screendoor, very smooth picture (especially with my ISCO II lens), very fluid.
    The zoom and the focus ring are really accurate and good. The finition of the product is excellent. I didn't see any rainbows (thanks to the 5x speed colourwheel), no motion artifacts and a long throw lens.
    I also used a Pioneer 747 (for a couple of hours) with component output (progressive scan), the picture was very good, but lacked in details (especially in dark scenes). Nothing better than HTPC with the right softwares !!
    About the settings for the HTPC, this was also a pain. The synchronisation between the pj and the PC needs to be set manually.
    In conclusion, this is an amazing pj but (very) long to setup correctly. Maybe I am a bit fussy, and people may like the picture with the default settings. This time we are very (very close) to CRT pj. I still have to adjust the level of red (a bit too high for my liking) and it should be near perfection !!
    Cheers

2. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After watching a few movies, I can now have a more accurate view of the pj. I have seen very few motion artifacts and one or two (small) rainbows.
    Compared to the Z9000 that I have seen with my HTPC, the Z9000 has a more defined picture, but the blacks are deeper and the colours fantastic on the Z90.
    Compared to the Plus Piano, the Z90 wins in every department, but the difference is slight except the colours where the difference is huge. As the synchronisation between my PC and the Z90 is still not perfect, the Piano has a more stable picture on DVI. Unfortunately DVI is not available on the Z90.
    In conclusion:

+: very deep black, amazing colours (after long adjustement), no screendoor, very quiet (29 dB), nice design, very sharp picture (VGA), no light outside the frame of the picture (never seen that before)
    -: very long to adjust correctly, pretty big pj, (very) few motion artifacts, some rare rainbows (I am very sensitive)

The Z90 needs to be compared to the latest generation of LCDs (AE300, Z1,...). But I would be very surprise if they can do better than that. This is the best pj have seen so far except compared to some perfectly adjusted CRTs for the fluidity of the picture.
    Cheers

3. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    good news you finally got this
    did you see the review at projectorcentral
    what do you make of their comments on pixelation and resolution
    I think im going to go for this proj.
    hifiissimo a french site had this for £1800
    can i ask where you got it and price?

4. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi fama,

I bought the pj at the place you mentionned below (and for the same price, only add 50 euros for the shipping cost to UK). Ask for Ludovic, he is really nice (he will remember me if you mention a french guy living in Cambridge). I didn't want to mention it before because they asked me not to (on a forum). The price is supposed to be 3500 euros ;). But 700 euros less, is a real bargain for a brand new product just released (= £1800).
    About this pixelisation problem, I cannot say it is not true, but my Isco lens gives a smoother aspect to the picture. I would say that you need a distance of 2x screen size, but even x1.5 is fine. x2 is just more confortable to watch.
    Just one thing, don't be too disappointed when you plug in the pj for the first time, just be patient and if you want, you can contact me for the settings. Then you can avoid to waste one afternoon ;)
    Cheers

5. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just read the review from projectorcentral and they mentionned a price of $4000 !! This is the first time that I see the price of a pj less expensive in Europe than in US. And what a price difference !!

6. MarkEmmett

MarkEmmett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice to see that you finally got your pj I have just been to see the z90 myself at severnoaks in severnoaks Kent and it was first class and a lot quiter than the sim HT200 that I have seen before so I am going to buy the z90 myself . could you please let me know the distance I would have to mount the pj to fill a 60 inch x 48 inch (4.3 screen) this would be a good help so that I can get all the cables in place. I was going to buy the z9000 at first but on seeing how good the z90 was I dont think that you can get that much better.

Thanks Mark

7. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good choice Mark. Even if you get a better resolution with the Z9000, it is also bigger, louder and much more expensive than the Z90. I will check for you about the distance tonight.
    How much is the pj in UK?
    Cheers

8. MarkEmmett

MarkEmmett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has a U.K retail prie of £2.500 and all that they where giving of was 10% they do have 2 instock for any of you that cant wait as I belive they are going to be in short supply I myself am going to get one from France.

Thanks Mark

9. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,

For a picture of 60 inches, I would say that you need around 4 meters from the screen. On the Hiffissimo website, they mention "between 3.5 and 4.7 meters" (with or without zoom). It is not too far from my guess. My room is too small at the moment to give you an accurate measure. I have a maximum distance of 3.2m.
    Cheers

10. MarkEmmett

MarkEmmett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that .

Mark

11. MarkEmmett

MarkEmmett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How are you getting on with your new toy as you have had a bit more time to set it up

Thanks Mark

12. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Here are my current settings:
    - contrast = 0
    - brightness = +2
    - temp colour = 6500K
    - gamma = black
    - brigthness red = -22
    - brightness green = -20
    - brightness blue = -20

The picture is absolutely FAN-TAS-TIC. I am still struggling a little bit with the red colour which is a bit too strong for me, but I am getting there. Honestly, this is the first DLP that I saw with such vivid colours and deep blacks. When I think of the picture you get if you keep the default settings :rolleyes:
    About the HTPC connection, I managed to get a picture with VGA as good as with DVI, but the adjustements for the synchronization are very long.
    Cheers

13. MarkEmmett

MarkEmmett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there have you seem the sim2 and how do you think the picture compares I have seen both the sim and the sharp and think there is no difference.

Mark

14. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark,

No I haven't seen the Sim. My references are the LS110, Piano, Yamaha (ref???), Optima H55 and the Z9000. Be careful when it is a demo, because usually you have the default settings. And with the Z90, the picture looks bad without any adjustements.
    Cheers

15. jetraid

jetraid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ther's also good prices in Germany: have a look at http://www.cinemaundsound.de/
    They sell the Z90 at 3699 Euros with a 240 cm screen and a ISCOII.
    Very good deal !

16. timothywood

timothywood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read through this thread with interest as I have just bought one of these projectors. Agree comments - very red picture. THe settings you give seem to refer to two menu's - some in the main section and others in the Advanced section. I am not an expert and would therefore prefer to COPY someone else's settings rather than spending hours playing !!! Could you advise which settings you use in BOTH menus so I can replicate. I appreciate that some of this is down to personal taste, but I am not exacting to know the difference.......yet.

Secondly, whilst I have the projector right at the back of the room and the zoom in the min position, the image does not fill the screen on the width - is there anything that can be done about this?

Thirdly - you refer to a ISCO II lens, what is this ? What does it do?

Lastly, currently have Marantz DV4100 OSE with only S-video output, would it be worth chaning to a component player ? I don't really want to spend more than £300 ?

17. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My new settings so far:

menu:
    contrast = -21
    lum = +3
    red = -20
    blue = +5
    temp = 6500
    gamma = white

advanced menu (press enter, undo, enter, menu):
    red, blue, green contrasts = -15
    red lum = -7
    blue and green lum = -8

factory menu (press menu (twice or more), top arrow (twice), bottom arrow (twice), right arrow, left arrow, enter):
    go to options, change gamma to 3. This must be changed each time you turn on the pj. It is a bug, the value is not stored. Then the second time, you have to set it, change the gamma to 4 and then back to 3. And it will be activated. I know it is a pain, but it is worth it.

The ISCO lens is an anamorphic lens which is used to stretch a 4:3 picture into a 16:9 format. The PAL resolution is then kept fully into the 800x600 matrix. The picture is sharper. The other advantages are: better contrast, better colours, picture very "cinema-like",...
    You also have a bigger picture with the same distance screen-pj.
    So the picture will fit into your screen.
    The only problem is the price: £800
    The component connection is much much better than the svideo.
    But prefer a progressive scan player like the Philips 963SA (worth around £300), you won't regret it.
    Cheers

18. timothywood

timothywood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help, will try your settings tonight. Re Lens, I only watch ws DVD's anyway, I assume therefore lens will be of little use ? Re Philips DVD player, I also only have R2 DVD's I assume this player is NSTC Prog Scan only - or am I getting mixed up ?

19. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

On the contrary, the ISCO lens is used for DVDs. The 800x600 resolution of the Z90 cannot have the full resolution of the PAL or NTSC DVDs (480 and 576 lines) if the ratio is 16x9. But it is fine if the DVD is 4:3. Then if you display the anamorphic picture in a 4:3 ratio (the picture is stretched vertically, people look very tall :D ), the PAL and NTSC resolution is kept. The ISCO lens stretches horizontally the 4:3 picture containing the anamorphic picture, and you have a perfect display (16x9) and very sharp picture (576 or 480 lines).
    About the 963SA, I am quite sure that it is PAL progressive.
    Cheers

20. timothywood

timothywood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to be a pain, I am not grasping this ! All the DVD's I have are in widescreen (16:9 or 21:9) and therefore have large Black bars at top and bottom of picture. Are you saying the lens has no impact on these pictures? Also how does the lens attach ?
    Thanks for your understanding of my low intelligence ! I am not familiar yet with techno jargon.

21. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry. As a french person, my english is probably not very clear as well ;)
    With PAL, you have 576 lines, then 1024x576 for 16:9 and 768x576 for 4:3.
    With NTSC, you have 480 lines, then 854x480 for 16:9 and 640x480 for 4:3.

The Z90 has a 800x600 resolution. So the only way to keep the full resolution of the PAL and NTSC, is to be in 4:3 ratio.
    On you DVD player, you can select 4:3, but keep the anamorphic format. That's why the picture is stretched vertically. To get the right picture, the ISCO lens stretches horizontally.
    If the ratio of your picture is 1.66 or 1.77 or 1.85, you won't see any black bars (or just very small ones). If the ratio is 2.35, you will see normal black bars.
    The lens screwed to a support sold with the lens.
    I hope that it is clearer now.
    Cheers

22. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks to reading "guitarman" on avsforums
    and your advice I have eventually got the sharp xvz90
    in the end i purchased from germany and it turned out to be cheaper than france
    I think its terrific im not in a position to compare as ive only briefly seen projs.at a show
    its hooked up with svideo proj on to a bedroom wall
    but looking to get prog.scan and component player

23. MarkEmmett

MarkEmmett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there fama I have been looking at this pj in France myself and found it to be a good price so I would like to know what it would cost in Germany.Also have you got a link for the company that you used.

Thanks Mark

24. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i bought from hificomponents.de
    for 2438 euros (+rip off bank fee of £20 for money transfer)
    altho they answered emails promptly they coulnt
    give an exact delivery date or tracking number
    but as i had other concerns at the time iwas patient
    they did" double box "it for me as requested
    i would buy other stuff from them again

25. MarkEmmett

MarkEmmett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Fama

Mark

26. mechrekt

mechrekt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    I'm new to this forum and also in videoprojectors. :blush:
    Please, can you tell me what screendoor is?

27. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    If you get close to your TV you can see the dots that make up the picture, screendoor is the same effect when a large image is projected on a screen and you sit to close to the screen. About 2x the width of the projected image is the perceived wisdom on ideal sitting distance.