Sharp Xv-z9000

G

GoggleBoy

Hi,

I am thinking of getting the Sharp as my first Projector :) from Pricejapan as the price is awesome.
I was wondering is anybody on this board has any experience of it both good and bad.
I will mainly use it to watch DVDs and play Xbox :D and perhaps some sky + every now and then.
Also the distance from where I will have to place the projector on the ceiling to where the screen will be is just 3- 3.5 metres. Will this be an issue? + it will be placed directly above my head , so will noise from the sharp be a factor.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Rgds,
Goggs.

Everything I've ever read about this projector has heaped praise upon it. Do a Google search using the product code to find some reviews.:cool:

Am assuming that you've checked the spec's for the pj to make sure that the image size will be what you need at the distance you quote from the pj to the screen(?).

GoggleBoy

I can only describe the sharp 9000 as ... Bloody Awesome!!!
I've had mine for a year or so now and yet to find a PJ that even gets close to the amasing level of detail and complete absence of panel structure, not to mention the superb contrast range and bright punchy picture.
The scaler is good too, but can be made even better by using a progressive scan player such as the PAL Progressive Philips DVD-962 or the newer 963 (£300 ish).
As a source of reference I’ve compared the Sharp against a good number of PJ’s including the SIM2 HT300 which I found to have a rather dim picture needing a totally light proofed room for best performance and very noisy. And also the Sony VPL-11HT which simply lacked the contrast range.
If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask. BTW Where are you based?

Technophobe

Hi I also have a sharp Z9000 , I got mine from Japan too( not priceJapan but at the same price),the only difference between the European and Japanese 9000`s is that the manuals and remote control buttons are in japanese, and on the rear you get a thing called a D4 conection and 1 set of RGB connections(Euro models have 2 sets of RGB`s and no D4 connection), but none of this is a problem, as the PJ`s on screen menus can be set to English and the whole manual can be down loaded,Gordon from the forum has demo`d mine and confirmed it has the exact same picture quality,and spec. as the Euro models,as for the picture quality ditto above.....it`s brilliant even at 9k but for the price it can be imported for...it `s an unrivalled steal :)

:)

Thanks for the great feedback guys awesome stuff.
Here are some more newbie questions :rolleyes:

I am thinking of setting up the pj in my front room until the work on my house is finished ( just bought a new pad and have had to gut the place). When thats done I will start work on a Loft conversion for a dedicated room.
The front room might suffer from some light getting in here and there, although not much will it be an issue?
Also the pj will be setup between 2 chairs and about 12-13 foot from the front of the screen. Will this be enough to "throw" a good size image? + will the fact that the pj is next to me be a noise issue.
Tech I will be upgrading my DVD , I was looking at the Pioneer 656A which seems to have had some good reviews of late. I will also upgrade my amp to one that does component switching like that awesome Sony 555 bad boy.
I will keep my B&W speaker setup ( 603 @ front , 601 @ rear and lcr600 main)
Paulsa how bad did you get stung for the vat/customs etc.
One more thing I have never viewed a DLP in action and I don't know how bad this rainbow effect is? whats it like on the sharp.
Sorry just one last question... what kinda of screen is best used with this pj?

Rgds,
Goggs.

Ps I am based in Harrow on the Hill , V close to london.

Originally posted by GoggleBoy
Plus anybody played there xbox on it?:clown:

Ahhhh, X-Box at 720p through a XV-Z9000 in a dedicated home cinema room. The stuff that dreams are made of...:D :cool:

Hope you're not married GoggleBoy, cause if so your missus is going to be doing some major complaining about how much time you spend on that "damn X-Box" ;)

Hi GoggleBoy,

Looking at the table in the manual 12Ft 1in will give a max screen width of 80in (6FT 8in), height 45in (3FT 9in). (and 13FT 2in will give a max screen width of 87in (7FT 3in), height 49in (4FT 1in) which should be ample I would have thought.
The Sharp is one of the quietest PJ’s around, but still makes some noise, something that I seem to be sensitive to. So to make it almost silent mine in a hush box. I don’t think you will find anything quieter so the best bet is to try it, and if you find it bothersome build it in to a hush box either on the ceiling or in a coffee table perhaps as others have done with CRT PJ’s.
If your looking to buy a DVD player I definitely wait for the PAL Progressive players to come along in the next month or two, or if your in a hurry go for the Philips 962/963 from Hivizone.com or sites in the Netherlands such as other have done (See the 963 threads)
As for rainbow don’t worry the Sharps high speed colour wheel (6X) eliminates the problem for 99% of viewers; unless you the type who can see fluorescent lights and TV’s flicker your not gonna see it. I suspect most of the posts you see claiming they see it are from lower end users who have their own agenda and I suspect have not even seen the PJ as there’s not too many around to see anyway.
Both Pausa and I agree that a pure white screen is best with minimal gain, as it’s quite bright anyway. I tried a grey screen but found it to lose the punch of the picture and it didn’t improve the blacks much either. We are both using 7Ft wide screens. Sorry I don’t own an XBOX.

Technophobe

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
N1 Junky :D

The idea of playing Halo\Moto Gp etc on a 7 ft screen *drool*
Yip my g\f is going to give my grief as she is expecting a diamond ring and not a pj :p
Tech m8 can suggest a few good screen makes + gain etc ( whatever that is) :confused:

Man she is soooo going to kill me lol.

I personally didn't think a pro screen made that much difference when I tried one. Certainly not worth the £400 - £1000 they charge for them. I suggest you start with a matt painted wall or MDF. I used two coats one with vertical strokes and one Horizontal to give a slight texture that disperses the light and helps prevent hot spots (direct reflection of the light source)
You can always add a screen at a later date when funds permit.

Technophobe

I should add that it's more important that the room decor is in darker non reflecting colours such as darker shades of matt red or blue for example. My HC room has a black ceiling and matt blue walls which looks better than it sounds honest.
It's important that the light being reflected from the screen is obsorbed and not allowed to be reflected back again on to the screen as this will wash out the picture and give poor black levels and a resultant los of depth / realism. You would be amaised the difference it makes.

Technophobe

This could be an issue then as the walls are oatmeal ( light tan colour) and the ceiling is a matt white. Theres no chance I could change this as my g/f would leave me for sure + I just finished painting it :)
Perhaps I should wait until I get the loft up and running , otherwise using the pj in the front room would be an anti climax. Then I can wait for a Pal Prog player etc.

:(

Originally posted by GoggleBoy
This could be an issue then as the walls are oatmeal ( light tan colour) and the ceiling is a matt white. Theres no chance I could change this as my g/f would leave me for sure + I just finished painting it :)
Perhaps I should wait until I get the loft up and running , otherwise using the pj in the front room would be an anti climax. Then I can wait for a Pal Prog player etc.

:(

Hmm. To be fair I've seen quite a few high-end installs in the mags and on HC sites where paler room decor has been used due to 'aesthetic considerations' (i.e. the missus ;) ). Although of course the ideal would be nice dark colour matt walls, achieving complete blackout in the room during projector watching sessions seems to be most important. Perhaps if you install good quality blackout blinds in your current room, the results would be more than good enough to keep you entertained until the loft is ready.

What do you think Technophobe? Paulsa? Offer the poor guy some of your expert advice on this, since otherwise it could be a good while before he can reap the rewards from giving his credit card a good battering :D

PS: if you got the capability, would be great to see some shots documenting the conversion of your loft to its ultimate HC glory. :)

Jeez,busy thread:) goggleboy as far as i can remember the VAT/Import duty came to £1290,so the total price of the sharp came in at under £5000:D
I used a 7` sheet of painted MDF too, i painted one side matt white and the other,the much talked about grey `Dulux icestorm 5`to match the dlp/lcd grey screens,to give me a chance to demo the PJ on both white and a grey screen and as tecnophobe said ,much preffered the white screen,we recently had a demo in Stereo Stereo Glasgow using my PJ and Gordon had managed to obtain a proper greyhawk screen,but everyone at the demo far preffered the sharp on a white screen, i have since changed to a 7` blackout blind which i got from John Lewis made from a white materiel called Joenelle, the difference was amazing, far far better than the white mdf board i was using and a steal at £105,i have a a pioneer 737 which is prog scan on NTSC stuff I`m going to wait until pal prog. scan becomes `the norm`( i had bought a pion.747 and was getting the pal prog scan chip from techtronics, but got a lot of hassle ,so sent it back)before i change it , as it`s still a bloody good machine;)
my cinema room was a really awkward place to fit out as i have a stable conversion and the room i wanted to use has a balconey overlooking the lounge,but determination won over and it is brilliant(the screen comes down where the balconey is and hides it,the room colours where dictated by the rest of the house as it`s open plan so they are creams and white and the picture is still brill. !!but i have seen it in a darkly painted room and it is far better ,but as i said,it`s still really good in a light coloured room too ,nobody who has viewed it, has ever noticed any rainbow effects, so i go along with technophobes views here also,sorry for the long posting,but i have gone along the same road as you and was very very unsure too(as i really wanted a crt PJ,but the ceiling was too low to mount it and my wife didn`t want a fixed coffee table),don`t be it`s BRILLIANT, i would do the same again.:D , if you want any more info just let me know

Yup good advise, go buy the PJ and your never look back I promise you. Worry about the screen and decor once your up and running.

Technophobe

ive been readin these forums for gkhl
good to see new proj available but frustratingly
sloooooooooow release in uk
is it sanyoz1 sharp z90 z9000 or what
i was lookin at z90 but when is it goin to be here?????
btw the sharp 9000 is available in europeeeeeee
for £4481 with 2 yr guarantee

its 6990 euros which is now 13.12.2002 £4505(was 4481) acc to xe
at www.son-video.com

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom