1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp XV-Z9000

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sijones, Feb 8, 2002.

1. sijones

sijones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I am considering buying a Sharp XV-Z9000 DLP projector and have some questions:

1. I own a Sony VW-10HT and wondered if anyone had any opinion on how the Sharp compares to it. i.e. Will it be much better than the Sony?

2. How quiet is the fan? Is it noisier or quieter than the VW-10HT?

3. What is the maximum screen size that I should consider for this projector if I am sitting about 11 feet away from the screen? I don't want to notice too many imperfections.

4. Does this projector suffer from the rainbow effect?

5. Is either the SIM2 HT300 or the Barco Cineversum a much better option?

Many thanks,

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Steve:

You need to go view one for yourself. I found that for watching film based DVD's the Sharp was a different league to the Sony.

The fan is very quiet. At least as quiet as the Sony

The screen size you'll have to work out for yourself when you view it. Sit 11ft from screen and get someone to move projector and see how big you can go before it (a) becomes too hard to concentrate on picture without having to move your head...or (b) you start to see the picture structure.

I noticed rainbow VERY occasionally and not to a point where I thought it anything like a problem.

The Barco is not a working unit yet. It sounds very promising though but I think it'll be summer before we see ones in shops. The HT300 has potential for greatness too. I look forward to seeing one soon.

Gordon

3. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I had the Sharp here this week and the Projector is very nice.

Its quite big compared to the Sony and the Sim2, very quiet as Gordon said.

The Sim2 HT300 showed less rainbow effects to me, not that they are really noticable on these latest DLP's.

One thing that I couldn't do is get a decent PC 1280 x 720 with the sharp. I could on the Sim2, it appears to work seing a HDTV input but gives 4:3 on a computer so HTPC might be difficult without lots of custom resolutions.

Both Pj's are very good and I can recommend both. Its all down to installation and prices. BTW Sharp is about £ 1200 more retail than Sim2 but with 1 year not 2 year on the warranty.:eek:

4. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharky what price is the sim 2 HT300 ?, i thought it was coming in more expensive than the sharp 9000e,and not cheaper, i do agree with Gordon it is in a different league than the sony 10/11HT,i hardly noticed any rainbow effect from the sharp ,but i`m sure Gordon will have viewed it more than me.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Paul:

Sharp UK have said the 9000 should be sold for £10,000 ....SIM2 have set price of HT300 at £8995

The reality is probably that you can get £500-£800 off the Sim and £2000-£2500 off the Sharp. From UK dealers.

Gordon

6. sijones

sijones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I was given a price of £4,995 (inc VAT) for the Sharp.

I am now considering waiting for the new Barco Cine Versum 80 as this will accept a DVI signal. DVI must be the best way to go for any DLP projector. However, this is not available on the Sharp and Sim2.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    where did you get that price for the sharp ?

8. sijones

sijones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I'm sorry Keith but I do not want to divulge the name of the supplier. The last time a store was mentioned on this forum as doing a good price for the Sharp, someone complained to Sharp UK and the now the store no longer sells them.

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    then privately message me

10. dvdbrowser.com

dvdbrowser.com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

I too would be interested in the supplier with that price - please e-mail me.

Many thanks.

Steve.

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Actually Steve it was me that complained to the supposed sole UK distributor that the shop in question was selling the thing for several hundred pounds less than I could buy one from them.....

They complained to Sharp. As far as I know the shop still sell the thing. MrD had a dem of the thing there....or are you talking about some other dealer and some other complainant.

My complaint was not to stop them selling cheap but to try and get the thing cheaper for my own clients....of course that didn't/hasn't happened.

Gordon

12. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Well they cannot let the Brits get anything as cheap as the rest of the world get them, the car and other manufacturers would be complaining that its not in the spirit of rip off Britain and people may start to get ideas above their station.

All credit to you for admitting it was you Gordon but did you not do the same thing with Stewart Grayhawks a while back :p

Moral of the story here is to advertise the price then use the private mail systems to tell people who it is.

13. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    We were told £ 10,500 for the Sharp and yes £ 8995 for the Sim2.

I wish we could sell the Sharp for £ 4995 as stated by Mr Jones.

In reality we pay over £ 2000 more than this to buy them from Sharp UK.

RIP of Great britain struck again?

14. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do understand Gordons point,as i am a retailer myself,but we have to accept that big companies,have screwed about with prices in Britain for years,anbd the only way it will change is if enough consumers seek out other ways to buy products,but then let the poor British retailers know how much business they are losing.......... eventually the Companies will realise what a `small` world we live in now ..................
    BTW Sijones i have private messaged you;)

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    It was me with Greyhawks and I admitted it then. There are no hard feeelings with AVS about that. I buy stuff from them just like you. It was just another case of a manufacturer deciding that the UK was a non-country.

There are products manufactured in this country which, when purchased abroad are an equivelent price in that countries currency. They are few that seem to manage to be imported in tothis country and be priced sensibly though.

I did just what you would do. I complained to the source of the product to me. I explained that, although it was a decent product I would not be placing any orders for the unit as it was grossly overpriced. The supplier went back to the manufacturer and had a barny. They basically told the supplier to get lost. The supplier has now done exactly what I did. So they are not likely to be selling the product either. I suspect that Sharp UK will be getting the message. If the downside is that you can only buy from grey importers or shops who buy 100 at a time and sell for less than 5% margin then I'm sorry.

The internet is great. It allows folk to communicate. The truth will out and hopefully we won't be RIPed off forever!

Gordon

16. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The Sharp was top of my list a few months ago when it first arrived. I got a shock when I contacted a few dealers and they quoted £9k especially as it was much cheaper overseas.

I went for a Barco 808s instead from Roland which I am more than happy with so Sharp lost a sale for being greedy. I would not have minded even paying £7k for it but no way was I going to pay £9k. I wonder how many other sales they have lost.

Hopefully you are right Gordon and the manufacturers will eventually start seeing sense then we will all benefit.

Darren

17. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yup Darren couldn`t agree more !!,if we keep on buying at these stupidly inflated prices then it`s our own fault if they won`t bring them down,keep telling them how many sales they are missing, if i can`t get one near enough priced to the overseas price, i`ll just shoehorn in a 2nd hand crt...i earn my money too hard, to chuck it at the feet of greedy corporate companies.......sorry to rant on but they kinda upset me:mad: .....maybe, because i deal with them, day in ,day out.

18. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting thread this!
    The posting of my sharp 9000 for £5,200 inc a few weeks back seems to have ruffled a few feathers!
    Lets hope something good comes of it all, it’s now pretty obvious to all that read this forum that this PJ should be sold around the £5k mark, it’s a real shame that people are being excluded from the enjoyment of this truly great PJ simply because of someone else’s greed.
    I really do hope someone has the gut’s to flood the market with cheep imports and blow this rigged market wide open!

Technophobe

19. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    This is probably just a very simple supply and demand issue. If Sharp are given an allocation of say a thousand units and the think that they can sell them all for around 10K, how can you blame then for trying to maximise profits. Also if they sell all the projectors that they are allowed to, grey imports would have no effect on their business.

20. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    interesting point Jeff,but i would not be a very happy customer when i found out my 10k projector,could have been had for 5k,2nd hand value destroyed, and what would my future views on that company be like:mad:

21. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    To be honest if I wanted a sharp I'd get an import either from europe or japan. I'd be using it with an HTPC so PAL issues don't worry me. Even with duty and vat it comes in at under the 5K mark. For that sort of saving I'd be prepared to take the risk of the potential inconvenience involved in returning a dead or faulty machine abroad for repair or replacement.

22. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr D the cost in Japan works out in GBP to be £3200 !!!!!!!!,i would have to pay import and vat,but we are still talking UNDER £4000 ,has to be a hassle though......which is,I`m having trouble locating the european `E` model in Japan,they all have no problem supplying and exporting the Canadian/Jap/American spec `U` model,and i can`t get to the bottom of the differences in the two PJ`s:confused:

23. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    An Interesting thread indeed:rolleyes:

I hope somebody from sharp is following this thread, then maybe we can all get a better deal.

The problem at the moment is sharp are telling us that its not possible for these mail order people to supply the Z9000.
    Has anyone actually been able to buy a PJ for anywhere for the £ 5000 ish price tag?
    I did some inverstigating and phoning myself and the best I could get was £ 8000 and a 2 week wait money up front :confused: no way hozay.

I wish the likes of Gordon , myself and other dealers on the forums could supply you guys at a sensible price and still be able to make money as well. Unfortunatly this is not the case at the moment.:(

24. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree with you Paul,I live in Glasgow and i can assure you i would LOVE to give my money to Gordon( i think ...well I hope he knows that) I know of 2 people who have paid 5k`ish for the sharp in the UK(one paid £5500,another paid £5199 )and someone is claiming a price of £4995,if gordon was in the same ballpark he would get my money,but because of stupid policies by Sharp he is thousands more,and i can bet it is driving him mad....but what can you guys do ??.....well refuse to deal with sharp would be one way ,but only if you can get everyone else to do the same......(every now and again in my business we have to do exactly this,sometimes it hurts short term but sorts the problem out long term) )if i could stick a crt in i would ,but i don`t have the bleedin space,not keen on the sim2`s,the sony`s,but i do like the sharps picture........but hell who wants to pay £9000 for a unit that is available for £5k`ish,all because of stupid UK policy with sharp........tell `em where to go:rolleyes:

25. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Sharky,

I can assure you I have definative proof that one of the forum members bought a unit for under £5500. He is not lying.

It may well be that it is now not possible to buy one after phoning round. It was a few weeks ago and it's still possible, as Paul says, to import for THOUSANDS, less.

Paul: I know, don't worry. Anyway, you need a CRT......

Gordon

26. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    The Japanese unit is from what I've heard identical to the US model. The menus are either english out of the box or switchable again going by what I've read on the avs forum. An english manual is downloadable in pdf also.

The european model can apparently deal with PAL material more effectively ( 625/50 I assume it refers to rather than just PAL colour specifically) and does a better job of deinterlacing anmd displaying PAL material. ie not a concern if you use an offboard deinterlace and scale solution. ( this may only be a firmware issue anyway rather than hardware)

Not too sure about the power requirement but it will either be switchable or using a transformer will sort it.

Hmm must look into that price again :
    Am I right in assuming you pay duty at 5% then VAT on top ie about 23% on top ?

27. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    A description like "Computer display projector" might get it qualified as a 0 duty computer accessory. Otherwise if they classify it as AV gear you could be looking at an extra 14% if I remember correctly.

The japanese mode does differ slightly, it has a D4 (I think thats what they called it) instead of one of the sets of component connectors.

28. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Just did a bit of research.
    According to customs the duty for a video projector gives an amount of 14% (on the total amount it costs you to get the thing over here including insuranceand shipping if any). They said its the same even if its a computer projector. ( sounded as if he hears that one every day)

then slap 17.5% at on the whole amount:

price in japan from ( pretty well known) exporter is 3501.55 in sterling with 14% on top its 3991.77 with the vat on top of that its 4690.32.

So you've added near enough 1200quid onto it. which is a bit more than the 4000quid figure paulsa mentioned unless you can get it cheaper than above.

Its still a big saving though ???!!!

29. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    For the US its even more expensive, by the time you add it all up its about £6800. Its a petty the projector isn't a bit smaller, you could go over to Japan on a W/E break and hide in in your suitcase. I couldn't do it, I'd have a heart attack going through customs. :D

30. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon ,If you can get me a CRT that fits,you got the sale:D