1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp XV-Z90 XV-Z91 experience/ceiling

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by asle, Jun 27, 2003.

1. asle

asle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello out there,
    I'm from Belgium, and I want to replace my current Sony big screen TV with a projector.

I've seen a couple of demo's and after 1 week crawling the internet, I was shown 2 machines yesterday: the Sharp XV-Z90 and the Sim2 HT200. they both looked fine, the sim2 seemed to have a slightly "warmer" picture, but the price is not what I want to spend (2500€ for a new Z90, or 4000€ for a demo Sim2).

So I went some price shopping and I found the Sharp in Netherlands at 2260€, which for me would be worth driving 2-3 hours.

1. Anybody know a place with better deals?

2. the sharp has a stand swivel, but I want to mount it to the ceiling, can I do this using the swivel (are there holes in the swivel for the screws?), or is it absolutely necessary to get the ceiling mounting bracket?

3. any Z90 owner wants to share their experiences with me (good AND bad things about the projector)

4. what's with the lamp life, is this as mentioned or do you have to be lucky if you get the maximum hours out of it?

Tnx all!

2. KeithO

KeithO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I've have just (yesterday!) taken delivery of my z91E (exactly the same as the z90E except for a shorter throw lens and about an extra 500 Euros!). I love it...great picture, good detail, brightness is more than good enough despite the fairly low lumens specifications.

I don't think you can lount it on the ceiling with the swivel stand...it doesn't look sturdy enough for that. There is a ceiling mount available..check here for a bit more info..

http://www.sharp.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=676

Try downloading the manual, I am sure it mentions a mount and the part number.

2260 Euros is about average for the z90e in Europe, I have found, with the z91e running about 2700 Euros. I bought mine from www.big-screen.de , excellent service. Ordered on Saturday night (internet) and projector arrived on Thursday. It's vorkasse though (advance payment) so I don't know if you could do that from Belgium..maybe you could.

Lamp life is (according to the manual) 2500 hours but I'd view that very optimistically.

3. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    1999 euros from hificomponents.de
    was more when i purchased
    in fact recently was down at 1849 but back up

4. KeithO

KeithO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I've spoken to hificomponents recently (they are based in Munich not far from me) and they don't stock the z91, just the z90 (that's all they offer on their website, currently priced at 1999 as you say)

The z91 is in short supply in Germany (Europe generally?) and almost all dealers are putting a 500-700 Euro premium on the z91 over the z90, assuming they have them in stock at all.

hificomponents are good though, I've bought from them before, and would have done so again had they offered the z91.

5. asle

asle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tnx guyz!

but those who have the z90/91, what do you think about it? good and bad please.

I also plan to use it as replacement for my 80cm sony tv, anybody here who actually uses the projector as their normal tv, I mean for normal cable tv (news, soaps,...) as well as dvd, satellite tv,...?

Cheers!

6. yatesd2404

yatesd2404

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Asle,

I bought the Z91E a while back and so far haven't been dissapointed at all.

I had read all the reviews going for projectors in my price bracket (around 2500 Euros) and was looking at the Pana 300 and the Z1 generally.

I went to a great company near Frankfurt that had a great setup of different projectors going that were willing to allo wm to take my own equipment in and basically play.

I went for the 91 in the end because for me it seemed to provide deeper blacks and more natural skin colours and colour depth.

The only downside for me was the fact that it was 4:3 and not 16:9 but as I do intend to watch football and other 4:3 sources this was not such an issue.

My conclusions after some 4 weeks.

1) 4:3 screen (2m*1.5m from about 4m) with 16:9 source is just about right size anyway. When I watch 4:3 I sometimes reduce the size of the image as find it is too big and find I move my head slightly to watch whole image.

2) Darkness in room, I was concerned about this, and have obviously found that the darker the better but even when I watch during the day it has never been that bad.

3) Lamps obviously I havent used them up yet. But from my readings always seems like about 75% is a realistic figure before the degradtion in quality kicks you into getting new lamps - so I am budgeting on about 1700/1800 hours if I am lucky.

4) Usage - I can't do a ceiling mount so generally have to set it up each time I want to use it. I have been impressed with the flexability of being able to move the image up and down and the focussing. This has been very easy. I was using it on a coffee table to start with and had to use keystone correction to get the image straight. I found that this was because PJ was too low compared to the screen. When I raised it by using a phone book or two I no longer needed keystone.

Not sure what more I can tell you to be honest. This is my first PJ so maybe I am not the best source for comparisons, but I have been very happy with it so far.

One last comment in my urgency to get everything setup I managed to lose the lens cap when installing. As I move it around this was not good. I wrote to Sharp and within a week a new one arrived free.

Now whilst these are not expensive, this to me was a good sign of customer service and also makes me happier about my purchase.

If there is anything else you want to know, ask and I will see if I can help.

Hope this halps,

Dave.

7. yatesd2404

yatesd2404

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wondered about this as well, as Sky broadcasts really do suffer on the big screen.

No one got any thoughts??

I have searched back through the forums and seems like everyone raves about the improvements to be had by going with the Iscan.

Dave.