1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp xv-z12000

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bigsteve, Jan 9, 2004.

1. bigsteve

bigsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the process of choosing my next projector, and like most people, I am spoilt for choice! I have not had a chance to view any of the latest DLP projectors to see whether I am affected by any rainbows. However, after reading various articles / reports, it seems that everyone is impressed with the latest Sharp xv-z12000, especially its contrast ratio.

Due to the weak dollar, I am tempted to import one of these from the USA, although I am concerned about the worldwide power supply fitted to the projector. (It should be OK in the UK). Has anyone purchased one of these projectors from the USA or Japan (xv-z11000), and be willing to review their projector?

How would the picture quality compare to the latest Sony HS-20, as that even impressed me for the value.

Thanks.......

Steve.
    :rolleyes:

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HS20 shouldn't be even close to the Z12k.

Power supply should quite happily handle anything from 100v to 230v.

If you were so impressed with the HS20, why not go for it or something similiar? If it's your first PJ, I'd definitely recommend getting something a little more "inexpensive".

From a resale point of view, you'll loose far more on a Z12k than a HS20 etc.

From what I've read, the Z12k is one of the best digital projectors currently available.

:smoke:

3. bigsteve

bigsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kramer,

I must admit I was impressed with the hs-20, although not totally sold on it. (Compared to the hs-10 it is outstanding).

This shall be my second projector, after breaking my last one a year ago......ouch! After scrimping over Christmas, I have sufficient funds to purchase a new replacement. Unfortunately, the reviews of the xv-z12000 are starting to convince me to buy one without viewing it, and should last me for many years to come. If I bought the hs-20, or similar, I would be eager to upgrade! £££
    I presume the image quality is similar to the Marantz VPL-S3 and SIM300+? Are people still affected by the rainbows?

The uk price of an hs-20 is around £2.5k, although importing an xv-z12000 from USA works out at < £4k. Saying as the xv-z10000 is still selling for around £6k in the uk, I feel this is a bargain, and it comes with a 3 year warranty!

Decisions, decisions........any comments????

Steve.
    :confused:

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well the imported warranty is only going to be in the states surely......

ad

5. bigsteve

bigsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the warrantly is only valid in the USA, but it also gives 3 years peace of mind for major repairs. Both the UK, and Japan only provide a 1 year warranty as standard.

The shipping cost is actually cheaper than returning goods to Japan, but 'touch wood' nothing would go wrong! I have been informed that they would carry out a detailed check of the projector before the unit would be shipped to myself.

Steve.
    :confused:

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    get a nationwide credit card and buy with it, they give you warranty one year beyond the manufacturer, even if you buy it from abroad ;) I assume that they would arrange this extension in the UK as opposed to abroad! :D

ad

7. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So bigsteve, did you buy? If so, how did the purchase go and how has the PJ performed?

8. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Just spotted discounttv.co.uk is now doing the HS20 for £1998 delivered, with pixel check, if this helps your decision.

9. bigsteve

bigsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, after a lot of deliberating, and saving funds for a wedding, I have decided to go for the HS20. So long xvz12000........

You never know, if a few years time, I may upgrade to an xvz25000. :D

Has anyone any experience with using the Pioneer 868AVi dvd player with an HS20, and if so, is it recommended?
    Does the 668AV model provide an image as good as the 868?

Finally, is it possible to purchase a 7m HDMI cable?

Thanks,

Steve.