1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp XV-Z12000 or Sim2 HD250 ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nickjs, Nov 26, 2004.

1. nickjs

nickjs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just upgrading from Plasma to a pj, and the 2 pjs that I have been recommended are the XV-Z12000 and the HT300E.

Since I can't find anywhere to see them both together to compare and contrast what advice on each would anyone like to give me? I'm sure I'd be happy with either, but as it's my first pj I'm eager to ask for advice.

Thanks in advance.

Nick.

2. Media Link

Media Link

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Nick,

At the moment the HT300E is the most advanced projector currently available as it features the very latest offering from Texus Instruments the HD2+ DC3 chip set. The new chip offers black level as good as CRT with a contrast ratio of 3500:1, the 300 also has a fantastic lamp life of 8000Hrs!!

I would recommend auditioning the HT300E as I believe it is one of the best projectors around.

3. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    CRT contrast ratio is a LOT higher than that and 3500:1 is a long way from being "as good as" the cr of a crt.
    Paul

4. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PaulB I though he said that the black level was as good as a crt? and just pointed out what the cr was.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Media Link,

Hi and welcome to the forums.

It would be helpful if you indicated whether this is based on personal experience or whether you're in the trade.

As for

..... concur with Paul, this either mistaken or PR-blurb, which ever the case it's misleading.

nickjs,

Hi,

You are unlikely to be disappointed by the performance of either projector, as long as you realise that these do not perform in the same way as a plasma - decent light control is a must with a projector, imo, they are not suited to daytime viewing or as a replacement for a TV. The standard recommendation is to see both in action. Understandable that there probably isn't a dealership carrying both models for a "back-to-back", but these machines are at the top end of price scale and you should satisfy yourself that you'll be happy with their performance. The Sim is a newer model than the Sharp, so should be expected to out-perform it on paper. Again, there is no substitute in seeing with your own eyes.

Sean G.

Sean G.

6. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is black level anyhow? Is it how black black is? cos in that case if I put my Z3 on a dark gray screen then the black level on that with the lights off will be more or less black?

7. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I looked at the Sharp 12k and the Sim but in the end went with the Marantz VP12S3 which I am very happy with.

It is quieter than the Sharp and more filmic than the Sim...but also more expensive I think.

You really want to make the effort to go see them in action though mate as what suits one person may not suit another...I travelled a fair distance to see the Sharp and was pretty disappointed by it but at least it saved me buying something that was not right for me.

Cheers, Lee

8. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I have never seen the Sharp XV-Z12000, but I have seen the Sim2 HT300 E LINK. The Sim2 was connected to a HCPC and was showing a mixture of DVD and HDTV projected onto a 7-foot screen. The Sim2 is by the far the best DLP projector I have seen recently, the colours were rich, there was good depth and black level, and the picture was smooth.

The same day I also viewed the Sim2 HT500. In my opinion I preferred the Sim2 HT300 E LINK. I don't think that the HT500 was set up as well as it could have been.

Happy hunting,

Foghorn

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Kahless725,

Whatever about the dark grey screen, if you display a completely "black" screen and do a "shadow puppet" test (put your hand between the projector and the screen) you'll see the difference between what your projector shows and "black" (absence of light).

You can take the following as general comments, not directed as a comparison against any particular digital projector. When a CRT shows "black", that's exactly what it shows - an absence of light. Unless I'm very much mistaken, digital panel or DMD projectors haven't managed that feat (yet). The ability to show a complete absence of light is what gives CRT the ability to display shadow detail and detail in blacks, usch as folds in the material of a dark suit. Because a CRT's absolute black level is lower, it has the ability to show detail at lower light levels than digital projectors can achieve. There is no doubt that digital projectors are closing the gap, but at present for absolute black level CRT continues to be the one.

Fulabeer, who changed for a Barco (808, IIRC) to a MarantzS3, probably the pinnacle of digital projectors at the moment, short of 3 chip dlp, expressed the following view:

If Paul feels this quote is out of context or otherwise inaccurate in respect of my general comments above, I will, of course, be perfectly happy to bow to his experience.

I'm well aware of the respective merits LCD, DLP and CRT and do not intend my comments here to initiate a discussion on those lines.

Sean G.