1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp XV-Z10000: need advise ASAP ! Please

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Xtrips, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Xtrips

Xtrips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have a good opportunity to buy a new Sharp XV-Z10000 at a fairly good price. I was considering buying one of this class anyway when I got the deal offer.

Please spare me the fact that this is the end of life of this model, and that it is being replaced by the 12000. I know.

So apart from that, what do you think of it?

Thanks.

2. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Messiah must be away?! ;)

I haven't seen this projector in operation, however everyone who has seen Messiah's Z10k comes away drooling.

Okay it's not going to be a Z12k, but by all accounts it is a jaw dropping picture and my reading on AVS doesn't put much above it, and what they do cost even more.

So depending on how good the deal is I would say go for it.

Cheers
    Marc

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    One word

AWESOME

Have a look at one of my theads here

If you want an objective opinion drop Kramer a PM as he saw it last week. And ask him to be brutally honest - I have broad shoulders :)

4. mgoldsmith

mgoldsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought one of these babies just the other day (it's 5K LESS in OZ at the moment with the whole "replacement" model coming soon).

i'm currenting using a temp screen (matte white da-lite pull-up) and am throwing a 98" 16x9 image from 4.9 metres away.

out of the box the colours aren't right with a push of green and red, but with so many colour adjustments that can be made, i knew the image would be stellar when set up properly.

sharpness is uniformly excellent and image depth also very good.

daytime watching is pretty good, with a respectible image on the screen. (i have all my curtains closed.. the only window i have is right behind my projector and i do tend to block out the light totally).

in total darkness the image is outstanding with rich colours and good blacks and detail.

i'm using a Pioneer DV737 via component (the DVI equipped Denon A11 had only just hit OZ shores)

The internal scaler/deinterlacing/etc seems pretty good, but i have found a real oddity with the region 2 Star Trek Insurrection which shows a trailing/ghost jagged image on quick pans.... have to keep fiddling.

some good discs to check out colour balance, etc is Lord of the Rings #1 - 2 disc set. the opening sequence with Frodo on the woods and him meeting Gangalf shows greens well and is good for setting flesh tones... pre-calibrated his face looked like he'd been throwing up (with a slightly sick green look).

Fifth Element (the sequence in the cavern with "Aziz Light") is good to see the deinterlacing at work)

Monster's Inc.... for detail and psychadelic colours. (Mike should be primarily green, but has yellow specks all over his body).

BTW on a "sexist" note. when setting the colour levels, it's best to get a lady friend to help out in this department as they have a considerably finer ability to render colours (especially red, seeing as us poor males have some degree of colour blindness :).
    i had my friend Cass do the colour adjustments for me (under the GAMMA menu) and the end result was startling amazing... i put on the THX optimode contrast page (with the 8 white squares), and there's little to no green/pink in their respective boxes.

that THX white box page is good to see how much influence red and green has over the white balance.. so you may want to go back and forth to that page while making adjustments.

if you want any more info, please let me know and i'll pass on whatever i can... i also have a few more pictures that i took yesterday which i'm happy to email you.

these ones where all taken around lunch time yesterday via a digital camera WITHOUT the flash on.

the images are all looking a tad darker to me than what they should look (sullys fur is actually a little more blue than what you can see there...but that black emphasises it)... these pictures (for the PAL versions) at least show you the level of detail and sharpness (sans any jpeg compression :)

Matt.G

Attached Files:

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi Matt

Nice review. Would be good to know your colour and gamma seettings if you don't mind. I also find that my digital canera shows the images quite a bit darker than they actually are. You may need to increase the exposure time sllightly.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

6. mgoldsmith

mgoldsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No Probs...here they are (for the time being as i only have about 70hours on the lamp :)

I'm using a Pioneer DV737 via component and used Video Essentials and THX Optimode to set colour, etc. All the pioneer settings are set to the mid range (which i assume are what they consider "Zero")

the sequence used to calibrate the gamma settings was Lord of the Rings : FOTR Theatrical version (PAL) the scene where gandalf and frodo ride into town and after they go over the bridge. there'a nice blue sky and long grass. this scene was chosed as it has a nice range of colours (including white)..in fact the whole sequence before this is good to check a majority of colours.

PICTURE

Contrast = 0
    Brightness = 8
    Colour = -2
    tint = 0
    CLR Temp = 6500
    White Emphasis = OFF
    Gamma Pos = C1
    Color Selected = Standard

HIGH CONTRAST MODE is ON and i'm fiddling with POWER SAVE MODE which doesn't seem to affect the image much when the room is totally dark .

GAMMA (C1)

R Gamma = -4
    G Gamma = -6
    B Gamma = +4
    R Gain = -2
    G Gain = -3
    B Gain = +4
    R Offset = -2
    G Offset = -8
    B Offset = +8

I haven't felt the need to fiddle with any of the CMS values so left it in Standard mode.

I didn't get the Sharpvision manager software (was M.I.A :( so am waiting for it to test out all other colour adjustments via the PC.

i also adjusted the FINE SYNC of H-POS and CLOCK (-32 and -80 for 576i PAL mode) because there's quite a bit of OVERSCAN with this projector image.... and these adjustments added quite a bit of SIDE information into the picture... unfortunately i can't seem to add in any more of the missing height information so there's a slight squeeze to the picture...but until i can access the service menu to make the necessary changes there, i can live with it.

if anyone knows the steps to get into the Z10000's service mode i'd appreciate the button presses :)

Hope that helps.

Matt.G

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Matt

Press ... input, up arrow, dwn arrow, enter, enter, menu ... to enter service mode.

I think you may have to do it on the pj itself not the remote.

8. mgoldsmith

mgoldsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that! i'll try it out shortly

btw one thing i've noticed on a few DVDs now is a jagged motion trail on fast "whip-pan" images. mostly it's with people quickly turning their heads.

two of the DVDs i've seen this on are Star Trek : Insurrection, and A Night at the Roxybury.

i've seen this sort of thing with Noise Reduction and the ghost trails it can leave, but this seems more like a digital image remapping that is a step or two behind... it also makes no difference as to whether i use 2D, 3D or Film modes.

the other thing i've noticed is a sync issue where there's a delay with the image on screen and audio... notibly dialogue being heard first and then the lips move (it's even worse than my old Pioneer DV717 :) seems to affects some movies more than others. (unfortunately my amp doesn't have a delay option otherwise it'd be a moot point in my case).

and finally :) do you know what the latest firmware is for the 10000? i was wondering if it addresses any of these problems.

Thanks

Matt.G

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    'fraid I don't know about the firmware. However, what I do know is there is a large thread on AVS talking about the new 12k and several are saying that the motion blur occasionally seen on the 10k is almost all but gone. It mentions ST: Insurrection specifically so guess this must be a well known one for this.

Enjoy your 10k. Mine is awesome (apart from the fan noise because it is directly above my head). Considering an S3 due to fan noise. My 10k may be in the classifieds in the New Year.

Happy Christmas :D

10. mgoldsmith

mgoldsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was wondering if it was showing up on DVDs that are incorrectly flaged for film, video,etc.

i'll be getting the Denon DVD-A11 shortly (for DVI), so if it's scaler, etc, does a better job over the Sharp's, then i'll just stick to it instead......still it's a shame this problem occurs, because it, and the occasional rainbow are the only 2 real problems i have with this projector. (my air conditioner covers up most of the projector's fan noise :))

one thing i have noticed is that a very well encoded DVD (like PAL version of Gladiator), gives an absolute stellar performance from this unit.... any DVD that has been noise reduced doesn't fair as well...but i guess it's in part due to the sheer size of the screen which makes the most insignificant thing stand out.

Be sure to enjoy some movies over the holiday break... i know i will be putting mine thru it's paces :)

BTW i successfully entered the service mode, but couldn't find a setting to alter the OVERSCAN... i did find the greyscale page and was please to see a nice continual shade increase of greys. (with just the "smallest" hint of green in a couple of the fields)

thanks

Matt.G

11. Xtrips

Xtrips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I got my 10000 and hooked it up to my gear.
    The picture is just OK for the moment as I didn't calibrate it yet and I don't have a suitable screen.
    But yesterday I was at some friend of mine that got the 12000 two weeks ago. This guy is writing technical reviews for projectors in italian and british reviews, so you get the picture ;)
    He has an ISF calibration kit lent to him by the magazine editor he writes for.
    Anyway, his 12000 is after ISF calibration, connected to a 200US$ dvd from china BUT with a DVI output, and he projected on a Da-Lite fixed screen.
    I almost cried when I saw the picture. It was lifelike!
    The true balance of colors and brightness was "frightening".
    But that was not it.
    I thought he was joking when he said: "You now watched about 60% of the possibilities of the projector. Let's see what's in its guts!"
    He then switched to a D-VHS player connected with component cables and said: "You will understand the difference between a 480p and a 720p definition picture."
    This time I got knocked out of my chair.
    The definition was so detailed, so precise, the deepness of the picture was so high I could die.
    He finally gave me the "coup de grace" by showing me some movies that were originally shot with hi-def cameras at 1020p definition.

I left thinking about the Lexicon dvd player I just bought, that doesn't have a DVI output.
    I will try to improve by buying a new screen at least.

I just thought you oughta know....

12. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the Z12k sounds like the "one to have" at present :eek:

Hi-def, as said before, makes DVD look like "a poor relation".

:smoke: