Sharp X20E/XL2E 37-52 Inch Models Owners/Pre-Owners Thread *part 2*

Curly99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a continuation of this thread

Thanks to JOLLYGREENGIANT for the original thread.

for reference: First post

I've been looking at many Sharp models over the past year as I think their SD picture quality is better than most Brands but I've been put off by banding problems on the XD1E series. I was just about to purchase an LC42XD1EA until I spotted thier new X20E/XL2E models..

X20E Series (42 Inch Version):

Screen size (inches): 42
HD technology: 1080P Full HD + HD Ready
IDTV Freeview DVB tuner: Yes
Wall mountable: Yes
Teletext built in: Yes
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Screen resolution (pixels): 1920 x 1080
Response time (ms): 4
Brightness (cd/m2): 450
Contrast ratio: 2000:1

Diagonal visible screen size (cm): 107
Picture and Text: Yes
Audio technology: SRS TruSurroundXT
Audio output (watts): 15W + 15W
Speaker system: Integrated
Integral tuner / av box: Integrated PAL/SECAM
Input port 1: HDMI x 3
Input port 2: SCART x 2
Input port 3: Composite RCA /S-Video Mini Din
Input port 4: Component RCA
Input port 5: PC 15pin D
Input port 7: RS232C
Output port 1: Audio (RCA)
Output port 2: Digital Audio (Optical)
Panel life (hours): 60,000
Power consumption (Watt): 208
Standby power consumption (Watt): 0.5
Power source: AC 220V-240V, 50Hz
Viewing angle (degrees): 176
DVB: Yes
Freeview: Yes
Advanced Super view LCD: Yes
3D-Y/C: Yes
4-Wavelength Backlight: Yes
Surround Sound: Yes
Clear Voice System: Yes
Top-up TV card slot: Yes
Component Terminal: Yes
Analog RGB for PC: Yes
Other features: Auto volume control; integrated PAL/SECAM tuner; DCE (Dynamic Contrast Enhancement)
Accessories included: Table-top stand, remote control, cables, manual

Outside dimensions - width (in mm): 1004
Outside dimensions - height (in mm): 646
Outside dimensions - depth (in mm): 94.6
Outside dimensions - depth incl stand (in mm): 305
Outside dimensions - width incl stand (in mm): 1004
Outside dimensions - height incl stand (in mm): 708
Weight of panel and speakers (kg): 26

Sharp XL2E Series (42 Inch version):

Screen size (inches): 42
HD technology: 1080P Full HD + HD Ready
IDTV Freeview DVB tuner: Yes
Wall mountable: Yes
Teletext built in: Yes
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Screen resolution (pixels): 1920 x 1080
Response time (ms): 4
Brightness (cd/m2): 450
Contrast ratio: 2000:1

Diagonal visible screen size (cm): 107
Picture and Text: Yes
Audio technology: SRS TruSurroundXT
Audio output (watts): 15W + 15W
Speaker system: Integrated
Integral tuner / av box: Integrated PAL/SECAM
Input port 1: HDMI x 3
Input port 2: SCART x 2
Input port 3: Composite RCA /S-Video Mini Din
Input port 4: Component RCA
Input port 5: PC 15pin D
Input port 7: RS232C
Output port 1: Audio (RCA)
Output port 2: Digital Audio (Optical)
Panel life (hours): 60,000
Power consumption (Watt): 242
Standby power consumption (Watt): 0.5
Power source: AC 220V-240V, 50Hz
Viewing angle (degrees): 176
DVB: Yes
Freeview: Yes
Advanced Super view LCD: Yes
3D-Y/C: Yes
4-Wavelength Backlight: Yes
Surround Sound: Yes
Clear Voice System: Yes
Top-up TV card slot: Yes
Component Terminal: Yes
Analog RGB for PC: Yes
Other features: Auto volume control; integrated PAL/SECAM tuner; DCE (Dynamic Contrast Enhancement)
Accessories included: Universal remote control, cables, manual

Outside dimensions - width (in mm): 1004
Outside dimensions - height (in mm): 646
Outside dimensions - depth (in mm): 95.8
Outside dimensions - depth incl stand (in mm): 305.1
Outside dimensions - width incl stand (in mm): 1004
Outside dimensions - height incl stand (in mm): 708
Weight of panel and speakers (kg): 26.5

The only difference I can see between the two is the style.. unless I have missed something, no mnetion of 24hz processing but I understand that their Trud D (film Mode) works really well with 24 fps material.

Heres a link to their website:

http://www.sharp.co.uk/icat/lcdtv

Links to manuals available here:

LC-32X20E/S/37X20E/S Operation-Manual GB
LC-42X20E/S/46X20E/S/52X20E/S Operation-Manual GB
LC-42XL2E/S/46XL2E/S/52XL2E/S Operation-Manual GB

Post more info here...

Last post

Hi guys,

Just thought i'd add my 2 penneth,

I got the 52inch, a replacement from Costco for a faulty 47 philips (lost the model number) probably end of august last year,

I have to say, apart from processing edges a little 'raw' on occasion, it's a real stormer, I have a very faint banding issue, just the one, and you have to adjust the TV to be able to see it.

Colour reprod is slightly red bias, but i guess that's part in parcel to the crimson technology (RGB + crimson)

The UI is intuative and allows pretty good customisation of features, and unlike the philips, the screen settings you use a stored per chanel, not globaly! very handy.

The thing lacking from the box is a better audio splitter, for example, my PS3 outputs via HDMI, there's no through put for true 5.1 back to the amp, and the amp, only having one digtal (optical) input, has to make do with a pro-logic feed through scart, from the telly.

Last edited:
Saw the 42XL2E whilst on Tottenham Court Road this afternoon. It is an attractive set and seemed to handle HD well, although I couldn't get a Freeview demo. Do people reckon it's worth £850 with a 5 year warranty?

I've seen the 46" on fleabay for about £1040 delivered including the 5 yr sharp warranty. (from crampton and moore)

must admit, I saw the XL8E in RS, very impressed

btw, the XL2E is higher spec'd compared to the x20e as it includes 100hz

Might the panel quality have improved in the 18 months or so the 42XL2E has been in production? The only downsides I can see about the set are its age and the possibility of banding...

I picked up a 46XL2E for £450 in a RicherSounds clearance a few weeks ago after reserving it the day before. Certainly happy now Dixons cancelled my 42lg7000 and Samsung 50inch plasma orders I put through after much consideration in the boxing day/jan sales (due to not enough stock)

It was fun and games getting it back home and had to strip it out of the box to fit in the car. Its upgrading me from a 32inch CRT Toshiba I bought in 2001 so it doesn't have that much to beat.

First impressions, which was all SD, were how good the colours looked, the richness/brightness was nice although somewhat vivid (but this can be tweaked). Although there was a little ghosting, which seems to have sorted itself out as I havent noticed any recently. Fast moving pictures can disorientate though, although I think Dynamic mode may fix this, not sure.

SD does look slightly blocky up close but we watch at around 8feet and its unnoticable. SD DVDs look far far better but I have no idea why

I purchased a Sharp Aquos BD-HP20H Blu Ray player (only £100 without the HDMI and only 1.0). It nicely synchs with the TV once HDMI is plugged in. Reviews pointed out this is a poor upscaler, I need to test this more, I haven't got another upscaling DVD, just normal DVD.

Blu Rays have really given a wonderful picture, very clear and cery crisp AND NO JUDDER AT ALL, although not quite the revolution I was expecting. I think its essential to go for a good movie rental package as its so much cheaper than buying expensive blu ray movies. I'm on a 90day free trial from Tesco Film, I love Film (who run that site) also have the same deal, you can find that deal on www.hotukdeals.com

Read allot about the banding. I'm pleased I have none yet, but I'm wondering if this is likely to happen down the line, any long term users care to comment about that? Will my 5year RS warranty cover banding?

How have people found this TV compared to say a Panasonic/LG Plasma?

Hi guys,

i would like to ask those who owned a LC52X20E. How is it compared to the latest offering. I mainly want to pick one between this or the Panasonic PZ80. both around 50", both around 999pounds. :D i mean the sharp has been out for a little while, and i didnt managed to find any review for it either.

thanks in advance :smashin:

This is about the only review I have seen, hope it helps. Sharp Aquos LC-52X20E 52in LCD TV Review - TV Reviews - TrustedReviews

I have owned the Sharp LC46XL2E for 15 months now, which I view from about 14 feet away and I find it very good for normal SD TV viewing. For me moving up to 52" would be a step too far and would noticably start to degrade the picture too much, but then mine is used mainly for Freeview/Freesat viewing, if you watch mostly HD content then this would not be an issue. Maybe an X20E owner could give you some more informed help.

thanks, that is indeed the only one review i can find. thanks anyway :smashin:

Hi guys,

i would like to ask those who owned a LC52X20E. How is it compared to the latest offering. I mainly want to pick one between this or the Panasonic PZ80. both around 50", both around 999pounds. :D i mean the sharp has been out for a little while, and i didnt managed to find any review for it either.

thanks in advance :smashin:

I have a 46LX2E, the model up from the X20E, which doesnt have 24fps/100hz (both critical to BluRay) and would swap mine for a 46PZ80 in a heartbeat if I could. Plasma's just have the best picture and this is near the top model. The only reason I got mine was I got it on a clearance sale for 450, I still want a Panasonic plasma though

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 46LX2E, the model up from the X20E, which doesnt have 24fps/100hz (both critical to BluRay) and would swap mine for a 46PZ80 in a heartbeat if I could. Plasma's just have the best picture and this is near the top model. The only reason I got mine was I got it on a clearance sale for 450, I still want a Panasonic plasma though

the 46LX2E is not the model up from the X20 its actually the X20E predecessor and is an older model. so if anything its a model down.

XL2E is the 100Hz version of the X20E. They were both introduced the same time, with the XL2E being the higher end offering...

OK got a Virgin+ HD box and started getting ghosting and judder, I think its because SD is coming out at 720p 50hz :rolleyes:

Watched the soprannos in HD and noticed they wear foundation

Am I the only XL2E owner in Britain now?

Anyone got any recommended settings for PS3/Xbox 360 gaming for the Sharp Aquos 46lcx20e please?

Had the television about a week, happy with it so far but still fiddling with the settings for best picture.

There is but it seems too dark to me, it's weird but it seems I am having to adjust settings depending on what game I'm playing, not had to do that before.

I've played around allot with the brightness/contrast, turned up the backlight on my XL2E, but gaming isnt my main use.

IS OPC on? (or is it OCM?) That can make things too dark, you could turn that off or go into advanced and set the brightness at around mid for maximal darkness

Hi

I've had an LC-52X20E for c. 14 months now and have been very impressed... until a recent house move temporarily necessitated direct connection of my SkyHD box directly to the TV via HDMI.

The connection is very erratic and the TV regularly 'hangs' with the on-screen message box at the top-right saying 'New Information' for the chosen HDMI input. Attempts to change the input to another or even 'TV' achieves no result - I have to reset the TV to factory setting and re-initialise it.

A call to Sharp support suggests I need to update the firmware to address HDCP issues - they will supply me with a USB drive to do this but I need to supply the serial number of the set. Alas the set is mounted on a wall-mount and it will be problematic to dismantle it in the current house situation - so I can't get to the serial number...

Would anyone be able to point me to where I can download the latest firmware for the TV and advise the correct procedure for updating.

TIA

Mark

I'm now 16 months into owning my 52XL2E.

After more than a year of researching and waiting for a tv with the right functionality at the right price, this model appeared to fit the bill (3 HDMI - Good SD reproduction - 24fps film mode - 100hz - deep blacks - freeview - under £2000)

I have to report I was and still am, pleased as punch with my decision to purchase this model.

I have a PS3 plugged into it, Sky HD and Freeview from a standard arial that goes via the loft based booster / splitter. The freeview picture is stunning on all channels (that was a massive surprise to me out of the box, even the footie is superb on freeview). The PS3 gives me everything I could ever need through the tv without requiring the connectivity the latest tv's offer (Digital Media connections - ethernet etc). I use a £3 3-way optical splitter to receive sound into my Sony DAV DZ260 (£145 was a steal for this, multi-region too)

Also I used a very slimline mount with ths set so the front of the tv sits only 3 3/4" proud of the wall (Really nice with no wires on view, sorry I digress).

Today I took the plunge to update the firmware to the latest E0806231 - M000110 from the sharp.de website
(upgrading from E0710291 - M000105).

This was a big decision considering I have had not one issue with this set since installation. No banding, no hanging, no pixellating, nothing untoward whatsoever. Most would consider this a foolish decision however the idiot in me that just has to get the best out everything I have, could not resist and guess what, I was in for a surprise.

If you recall, this set achieved one of the best write ups around at the time save for 2 issues. Banding and red push. For those that have a set with no banding that leaves only the red push to resolve and blow me away but I think Sharp have resolved this and told no-one.....?

Now my sincerest apologies if I have missed this but out of the box I tried everything in the menu to reduce the slight visible red push and I swear the red / green adjustment in the tint wasn't there before and hey presto, it is now and no more red push. It only required a +2 adjustment to make it (to my eyes anyways) perfect.

Can someone else confirm this is new in the menu or am I just going senile? I don't recall this solution being offered in the forum at the time so now I'm curious.

Overall, I would still recommend this set today depending on what peripherals were being connected.

Way to go Sharp. A very satisfied customer here :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi Olias

I'm not an XL2E owner but can confirm that my LC32DH77E has a Tint control which I use (as you do) to reduce the 'Red Push'.

Don't know if your controls/ranges are the same but I reduce both Colour and Tint to -5 which IMHO gives a more natural looking picture.

My TV is only 1 month old and so far really pleased I chose this model and hope I still feel the same as you in 16 months time.

Hi bishopsfinger,

There was always a tint control, I just noticed the addition of a red / green symbol at either end of the slider.

Maybe Sharp just added little red and green pips either end of this for the more naieve of us so we know how to reduce the red push after all the criticism :lesson:

-5 as a setting would be too red, the red pip is too the left and the green on the right so moving the tint contol to higher '+' numbers reduces the red in favour of the green (if that makes sense).

I am sure the colour indicators were not there on earlier firmware versions, I just don't know if the functionality has been adjusted in any way?

Hi Olias

My Colour is set to -5 but my Tint is set to +5 (NOT -5 as I incorrectly said in my post).

There is a red 'pip' to the left (i.e -) and green 'pip' to the right (i.e +).

I guess the latest models get the benefit of the change to the Tint control, as I have not received any updates so far, as it does make it easier to understand what the Tint control changes.

I was also surprised/pleased the Tint control works with PAL.

Decided to try the firmware update (mentioned on a few previous posts as coming from the Sharp Germany site). It is on the UK site, but no marks to Sharp for making it obvious!

Its at:E-Support Site Sharp Electronics

Apologies if this has already been posted- I did search the forum and found no hits for the UK site

I own a 46" XL2E, and have been very pleased with the set for the last 18 months. It was purchased from reviews which gave it the thumbs up at that time. However I was very suprised that the 100hz option was surplus to requirements in most situations especialy watching the football. I would very often get a "Halo effect" around the ball, and now watching the tennis find the results much better with this turned off. This is more predominent since I changed to Sky HD. I find the picture quality far better with most of the enhancments switched off.
I have updated to the new software and notice no difference in the menu, I previously had the tint function with the green and red pips, so this is not a new option on this model. I have searched for what changes have been made with this update but can't find any information. I feel the freeview picture has been improved, but this may be me looking for somthing that is not there.

Has any one else experianced the problems with 100hz or found out what the update does do?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom