1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sharp vs philips

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by nvi, Feb 13, 2005.

1. nvi

nvi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.. Trying to make up my mind between a Sharp LC32GA4E (or 3E) and a Philips 32PF9976.. I know Sharps are pretty scarce (but looks are so nice!! so considering the 5E now), but going by features only -- I heard, the Philips 9976 has inferior connectivity to Sharps.. I am a novice to all this, but read a bunch on how you cant connect as many things to a the 9976 at the same time as to the Sharps.. Is that true? Can someone explain what differentiates Sharps from Philips.. Thanks!!

2. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    the philips has no component input (adapter for component to DVI is included)
    as far as I know the philips only accepts progressive material over DVI. so if you want to hook up a console without progressive via component you will have a problem... black screen...

maybe you can afford a 37GA4E because I think they are not that hard to get like the 32GA4E. I have one and it's a dream... (had a 32GA4E and returned it because the price was not good and it had hotpixels, then I had two 32GD1E and again hotpixels and the price was so high... now I have a 37GA4E and I'm more than happy!)

3. nvi

nvi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, that's really helpful!
    It seems like the price increase going from 32 to 37 inch is quite dramatic, though.. I think when the LC32GA4s and 3s were around, they were going for something in the 1300-1600 range, whereas I havent seen the 37' for any less than 2650.. is that 1000+ a fair premium to pay -- you mentioned you had experience with both?

Thanks again!

4. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can find anywhere that sells a 32GA3 or 32GA4 you will be a very lucky man. I would avoid the GA5 as it doens't have an HDMI connection so Hi-Def TV via Sky will not be available to you.