1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp V Philips 30 Inch Lcd. Please Help!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by PH0ENIX64, Dec 15, 2003.

1. PH0ENIX64

PH0ENIX64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi.

I'm a newbie to this forum lark, so please help.

I'm currently in the market for a 30" LCD panel for my living room. I would like larger, but dont have the budget.

I think that I have narrowed it down to 2 models, either the Sharp lc30hv4 (£2300ish Online. Inc stand) or the Philips 30pf9975/05 (£2000ish Online. Inc wall bracket and stand)

Do any of you have any advice for a layman? I have seen both sets in the flesh and I like them both. It is replacing a Sony kv32wft1 that I bought 5 or 6 years ago, but recently lost.

I have a PTAE200 for my main film viewing, so this is more a convenience set than anything else.

I will be using it with a standard analogue aeriel and an old Nokia On-Digital box. I have to say, that I saw the Philips on an analogue signal and the picture was horrible, but the salesman said that it was his signal booster. When he put 'Monsters inc.' on, it was very impressive.

If there is anyone who has seen the 2 running side by side, then I would really like your opinion as to which you prefer and why. I can find both these sets to look at, but not in the same place!

I have recently bought a Jamo DVR50 system and I am really Happy with it. I bought it on the recomendation of the salesman in a local store, looking at other comments here, he knows his stuff. But, they dont sell Sharp, so I feel he may be biast to the Philips (which is cheaper).

I have also been considering a hitachi 32" plasma (32pd3000) that I can get for £2349 (Online) but I think that this may be a bit heavy for the partition wall that I want to hang it on.

Any thought's would be really apreciated.

Thanks.

Phoenix64

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sharp is a superb panel but does suffer from overscan which is not a major problem for most but can be annoying (there is no cure unfortunatley) other than it is a superb LCD

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Also, as pointed out by another forum member, the 30" Sharp is actually a 15:9 display and not a 16:9. What difference that makes in the real world I can't say as I've only viewed the 37" version which was very good indeed.

Cheers, Lee

4. LCD Man

LCD Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 37inch is proper 16:9 I wouldn't touch the Sharp after my last problem. They didnt even know it was 15:9!!

Cheers

5. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having seen both side by side, i'd still have to plump for the sharp!! Philips rave about their pixel plus technology which is good for a CRT but the effect it has on the LCD almost makes the picture look too sharp (if that makes sense!) And the philips is more bulky as it has an intergrated tuner!!

Or then again you can wait for Sharp's new AD series which include's a digital built in freeview tuner and their 1 BIT sound technology to deliver better sound!

6. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [q]When he put 'Monsters inc.' on, it was very impressive.[/q]

ANY lcd or plasma screen will look good with an all cg movie!

Stick on a normal film with people and flesh tones in like SW or any dvd of reference material and you will quickly see a 'cheap' lcd/plasma from a more capable pio/pana/fujitsu etc more pricey one.

Koing