Sharp TUR160-H pic stutter

dbrad

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi ive got the above pvr, and when your watching a prog the pic freezes for a split sec then carries on as normal, it does this on most stations.
But i also have a philips plasma that is connected to the coaxial out on the pvr, my plasma has built in digital tuner and the pic is perfect!!
why is it that my pvr stutters when you are watching a prog, it is connected to the plasma by RGB scart, but my plasma plays perfect even though its connected to the same box???

im baffled!!!!!

hi ive got the above pvr, and when your watching a prog the pic freezes for a split sec then carries on as normal, it does this on most stations.
But i also have a philips plasma that is connected to the coaxial out on the pvr, my plasma has built in digital tuner and the pic is perfect!!
why is it that my pvr stutters when you are watching a prog, it is connected to the plasma by RGB scart, but my plasma plays perfect even though its connected to the same box???

im baffled!!!!!
This is common with all the Vestel PVRs although it is more common on the units with the T816 and later hardware versions. If yours is the single record TU-R160H then it has the T810 hardware which was less glitchy. However, if it is the dual record TU-R160HA then you can expect momentary picture freezes.

Colin

so not even a software update would stop the problem, even though i got the latest update!!
if this is a common fault on the pvr surely sharp should do something about it?????

Hi dbrad,
As the previous poster has pointed out,your pvr is one of the many Vestel clones (Onn,Durabrand,Wharfedale,Digihome,Hitachi,Dual,Tevion,Technosonic,Teknika,etc.) and they each come with a particular software version.Sadly,Vestel appear to have long since given up on OTA updates,so you are stuck with the version on your Sharp, unless Vestel have a change of policy.
I currently own a Digihome (s/w v2.7) plus Hitachi (v3.7) and these units have been absolutely brilliant performers.However,I recently bought a Wharfedale with HDMI connection.This came with software version 4.8 which is a total disaster so I had to take it back.It had so many bugs in it they practically jumped out and bit me!!
I'm not sure how long you've owned your Sharp,but the only ray of hope I can give you is that,according to the resident Vestel expert on these forums ("creddish"),these machines do tend to improve performance after about a week or so usage.
Paul.

thanks luci
ive had mine since before xmas :( so it looks like im stuck with itthe only saving grace is if i reboot it sometimes alleviates the problem!!

Hi dbrad,
As the previous poster has pointed out,your pvr is one of the many Vestel clones (Onn,Durabrand,Wharfedale,Digihome,Hitachi,Dual,Tevion,Technosonic,Teknika,etc.) and they each come with a particular software version.Sadly,Vestel appear to have long since given up on OTA updates,so you are stuck with the version on your Sharp, unless Vestel have a change of policy.
I currently own a Digihome (s/w v2.7) plus Hitachi (v3.7) and these units have been absolutely brilliant performers.However,I recently bought a Wharfedale with HDMI connection.This came with software version 4.8 which is a total disaster so I had to take it back.It had so many bugs in it they practically jumped out and bit me!!
I'm not sure how long you've owned your Sharp,but the only ray of hope I can give you is that,according to the resident Vestel expert on these forums ("creddish"),these machines do tend to improve performance after about a week or so usage.
Paul.
Just a minor correction Paul. The Tevion and Technosonic PVRs are (or rather were) made by a company called Technotrend. They do, like the Vestel's and Daewoo PVRs use the same Cabot Communications "middleware" so there are similarities in the user interface.

Thanks for the complement :) .

Colin

im baffled!!!!!
It has been reported that if you use the Guide "Search" facility, particularly the "genre" mode this can cause Live TV to stutter. The recommended solution is to set the unit to standby and then back on again after using Search.

Colin

Hi

Last year I bought my mother the TU-R160H and today she reported it stuttered on channel 5 whenever it was recording and on the recording itself. The picture is OK when just watching Channel 5.

On checking, other channels were OK except the "5" related channels ie Channel 5, Five US and Fiver.

I tried a reinstall and noticed none of the “5” channels appeared on the channel list during the channel search but they were there when opening up the guide. The receiver is tuned into Crystal Palace if that should make any difference.

Anyone any ideas why it should be only these channels causing the problem?

It's still within the guarantee so wonder if it should go back judging by the problems noted above.

Hi

Last year I bought my mother the TU-R160H and today she reported it stuttered on channel 5 whenever it was recording and on the recording itself. The picture is OK when just watching Channel 5.

On checking, other channels were OK except the "5" related channels ie Channel 5, Five US and Fiver.

I tried a reinstall and noticed none of the “5” channels appeared on the channel list during the channel search but they were there when opening up the guide. The receiver is tuned into Crystal Palace if that should make any difference.

Anyone any ideas why it should be only these channels causing the problem?

It's still within the guarantee so wonder if it should go back judging by the problems noted above.
How long has this been going on? Did it happen today or is that just when your mother reported it? If it has been just for a short while and nothing else in the set-up has changed then it does appear as JayCee suggests that there is a poor signal on MUX A. You can check the signal strength and quality in the "Manual Channel Scan" section of the "Installation" Menu. If it's a temporary thing maybe there are engineering works affecting that transmitter or if the UHF channel number is near either end of the UHF frequency range (21 to 68) then there could be problems with the aerial.

Colin

Apparently, the problem has only been happening for the last week or so.

Re the signal strength I did check that and it was showing "Good" the same as all the other channels I checked.

I also tried a software update but nothing seemed to be vailable - whilst I did not note which version it was I'm pretty sure it was dated 2006.

Allowing that it could be a problem with the aeriel or signal generally can anyone shed any light on why the Channels are fine to just watch but stutter continuously when put into Record mode?

if everyone has to switch to digital will we see an increase in signal strengths in the future or is it ' what you got now is what you gonna get in future??'
because channel 5 and the odd other channels are very poor in signal strengths

Signal stengths will increase , region by region, when the switchover to digital happens; currently the levels are lower than their final intended output because otherwise they would interfere with the analogue transmissions.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

Apparently, the problem has only been happening for the last week or so.

Re the signal strength I did check that and it was showing "Good" the same as all the other channels I checked.

I also tried a software update but nothing seemed to be vailable - whilst I did not note which version it was I'm pretty sure it was dated 2006.

Allowing that it could be a problem with the aeriel or signal generally can anyone shed any light on why the Channels are fine to just watch but stutter continuously when put into Record mode?
On the Sharp if you saw the word "good" on the "Manual Channel Scan" screen that would be the description of the "Signal Quality" not the signal strength, although they are related in some way. The "Signal Strength" is indicated by the bar at the bottom of the screen. The bar is not calibrated but if the white part fills the bar by more than 75% then that is a satisfactory. If you get a white bar anything less than half way that would indicate a poor signal. These PVRs do require a good signal to work reliably. Others have reported that recording tends to increase drop-outs on the watch channel as well as affecting the recording.

The software updates if any are only transmitted for a few days and maybe repeated once or twice some days/weeks later. However, Vestel (the maker of the Sharp and several other brands) have not transmitted any updates for any of their PVRs made in the last year. So none are expected in the future.

Colin

Colin

I assumed the "Good" related to the bar! Anyway, the bar was showing about 75% and was the same as the other channels.

I've found a few suggestions on line and will try them out. Mainly to do with swapping the aerial leads around.

I shall report back once I have done it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom