SHARP TU-160H Any good?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by mairclan, Sep 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. mairclan

mairclan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any experience of this at all. Most of the technical jargon means nothing to me, this swill be my first recordable freeview and I don't want to make a mistake of huge proportions.

I have a budget of about £200 if that's any help?

Many thanks:smashin:

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I bought one for an 80 year old about 6 months ago. She loves it and has never had any problems with it. I have seen them at around £120, well within your budget. The unit appears under a variety of brand names. Some have a different recording time. It's easy and foolproof to use. No problems with noise or overheating which is often quoted in the Forums. This one is actually working from a loft aerial in a poor reception area, but a good outside aerial is always advisable.

3. mairclan

mairclan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is interesting, do you know what other brand names it comes as?

Also, what is the actual name of the feature that lets you record a whole series if you get what I mean?

4. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    The Hitachi is the same unit with a different label. Some of the 'supermarket' brands also indicate a strong resemblance to the Sharp. The givaway is the layout of the front panel and the sockets on the rear. They have an external link across from one freeview tuner to the next. I think I am right in saying that they are manufactured in Turkey, no harm in that. They don't have the provision for programming a series to be recorded. You will have to pay a bit more for that.

I'm not sure why these type of boxes are being still being produced. Most TVs now have Freeview built in so the second freeview tuner would be better used if the boxes could record 2 different channels at once. Ie believe Forum contributers have modified them to make them do this. This would be similar to Sky + and Virgin+ boxes. I've got a Humax that simply receives and records one channel at a time. It is no longer manufactured.

5. mairclan

mairclan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. crammedin

crammedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Humax are testing series link firmware as part of the next release. I think this is something that will be popular. Both PVRs listed look like the easier ones to use on the market. I got my father in law to get a version of the shape PVR you linked to which is fairly easy to manage and use, but he was forced to change it after problems with the EPG. He ended up getting the same one as me the Humax and the biggest upgrade plus for them was the dual recording ability.

7. mairclan

mairclan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went for the Humax in the end. The Sharp one went up every time I looked on Amazon, (from 148 to now 195) the other models mentioned only had a 80G hard drive so were cheaper, but the Humax I ended up getting was a really good price through Lasky's. (never knew they were still in existence myself!)

8. IanHC

IanHC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After reading through the SHARP TU-160HA manual, page 18 section 5.1 says that it does in fact record 2 channels at the same time, while allowing you to watch 2.

After October 2007, production switches to a factory in Slovakia, the same factory that produces Sony Bravia and Samsung HD recorders.

Shame there is no dvd backup or divx support. But at a price of £89 on Ebuyer, what can anyone expect.

9. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Interesting that this model has been updated to allow it record 2 channels at once. The original versions couldn't do this. You could record one and watch another at the same time. I wonder if there is a download to update the software.