Sharp shows off 37" LCD with 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio!

Nielo TM

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Here you go

sharp-mega-contrast-1.jpg

sharp-mega-contrast-2.jpg

sharp-mega-contrast-3.jpg

sharp-mega-contrast-4.jpg

sharp-mega-contrast-5.jpg

sharp-mega-contrast-6.jpg

sharp-mega-contrast-7.jpg

I prefer the pics of the right, I seen them before (think CES) and the new ones should be on the left but they look horrid to me with white glare all around them.

The piccies on the left are of the old LCD not the new one!

Lol! :laugh:

Just looking at the pictures again, it seems that whilst the black levels on better, they seem to lack the detail the ones on the left have. Particularly stars etc, maybe it's the way the picture was taken (I certainly hope that's all it is!)

It's quite possible the camera they used cannot reproduce the range of contrast of the screen, so the stars get drowned out by the contrast between the bright foreground objects and the darker background. Its similar to what we see when we see pictures taken in space - the bright foreground objects i.e. Moon, or space shuttle affects the exposure which then means you don't see any stars in the background

Lol! :laugh:

Just looking at the pictures again, it seems that whilst the black levels on better, they seem to lack the detail the ones on the left have. Particularly stars etc, maybe it's the way the picture was taken (I certainly hope that's all it is!)

It's the camera taking the picture picture. It makes some parts of the "normal" LCD a toal white mess (which shows real detail on the Megacontrast one), and it can't pick up some parts of the darker screen (the stars) all at the same time, as the picture is one for both screens and it probably doesn't have high enough dynamic range...

Well, that's my take...

You can never trust camera pics for these kinds of things. The shutter settings can make black levels look great on a bad screen, and bad on a great screen.

Having said that, the reports I've read on these screens from CES (engadget et al) seem to be saying that they outperformed the SED screens shown last year.

Maybe it is possible to get decent blacks out of an LCD after all! Quite intrigued to know how the tech works...

I'm sure it is to do with the camera - I'd love to see one of these side by side with a normal LCD. When are these due to come out?

I think it'll only be for professional use. We on the other hand may have wait until OLED becomes available.

PS: I don't know any motion picture camera (film, analog and digital) that is truly capable of capture such a high contrast ratio. So I guess the video processor has to most of the work.

PPS: In order to exploit the maximum contrast ratio, you have to view a dark scene in a pitch black room for few minutes.

When black leves are phenomenally increased then it may eat up the whites causing poor shadow detail. I hope that the million figure contrast ratio won't hurt the shadow details.

My guess is it's a similar technology to the High Dynamic Range screens a company was demonstrating last year. These use an array of led's for the backlight which can be switched on and off, combined with LCD, pure blacks can be achieved by switching off groups of LED's in black areas or to switch them on and off at high speed to retain any black level details

Hmmm. Looks to me like the standard LCD (left piccy, I presume) is set too bright to make the 'grey effect' of LCD even worse. Look at the bright bits in the LCD - they are washed out and featureless, whereas the other one is showing detail. Im sure a few minutes spent setting the backlight and contrast levels of the LCD would leave it looking far better.
I know standard LCD's are a bit lacking in the black department, but that's just silly!

However, that does look like it is in total darkness. Even my plasma only looks a bit better than the LCD on the left in total darkness.

I saw it at CES. It looked like an LED backlight to me. Impressive none the less.

However if you watch it in a normal room the contrast ratio goes WAY down due to ambient light reflecting off the screen...

..good, but a lot of it was the typical LCD industry "willy waving" along with the "largest LCD" "fastest" etc etc.

They should ban these hotties presenting technology, it's so distracting! It makes you make purchases you never planned! :devil:

They should ban these hotties presenting technology, it's so distracting! It makes you make purchases you never planned! :devil:

Never fall for a woman that laughs like that whilst pointing out how small something is! :D

Any idea when these will be available and I wonder is loewe going to use the same panels?

maybe the contrast ratio of the device you're viewing it on isnt capable of displaying the images correctly... my screens definitely lower than 1,000,000:1 contrast :p

bonnie_barko - what screen are you using - I did not know that were actually some 1,000,000:1 screens out yet.

Its more like <1000:1 in real life but still pretty good for an LCD panel, dare I say "plasma like". I wonder who will be using one coupled to their bespoke electronics and processing skills;) ;) ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom