1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp RS232 port

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by richjthorpe, Jan 17, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just taken a look at the GA3 manual and it says the TV can be controlled by a computer. Has anyone tried this at all ? What do you use the PC to control ?

Richie.

2. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yep, dead easy. Load up Hyperterminal or if you download it, Teraterm and input the codes listed in the manual. Once you are confident enough of this working, you will proboably want to create a macro so the functions are done automitaclly, then if you get really flash you can use HTML code or VB to create an application that does this for you.
    The typical use of this is with AMX / Crestron control systems like what Ozzy has.

3. sofa-spud

sofa-spud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I use this function, it was a major reason I bought this model(GA3) as it is now linked in to the HA system I use. To be honest I dont use the full ability as the set is connected to the HTPC so I have no need to switch inputs nor change TV channel etc on the screen itself. Because of the 232 conn to the HTPC(which is networked) I dont *need* any IR remotes neither and can use the ipaqs/touchscreens/whatever through the HA web interface instead.

I only need it to switch the set on & off, and set volume when watching digiTV. eg when watching TV news etc the av amps are shut off and the screen volume is set to ~30 using the analogue connection from the sound card o/p. If I want to watch a film/dvd then the screen volume is set to 0 (rather than mute which leaves an icon on screen) and the av proc & amps are used for sound.

The one limitation is when the set is switched on, it will not react to commands while it is in the process of starting up (approx 30 secs?). But you can switch it on using 232 despite what the manual may suggest.

HTH

John