1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sharp pricing

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by meva, Oct 25, 2002.

1. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've seen a few posts in the past months on various ( other ) forums with prices for the Sharp XV-9000E in mainland Europe for between £5k and £6k. Why are these things so much more expensive in the U.K !!! For example www.big-screen.de sell the sharp complete with an electric screen and cabling for approx £6500. The new Sharp XV-90E looks like a nice pj but I wonder how much dearer it will be in the U.K than everywhere else ???

2. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    meva I know what you mean ,but i don`t know the reason !!,when i first viewed the sharp 9000, i just knew i had to have one........but couldn`t warrant paying 10k for one,so i managed to import one from japan for less than 5k !!!!! love it to bits.........but as with everything else , i would love to improve it.....but how:)

3. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paulsa,

Improve the Sharp 9000?
    Can't be done mate it's very nearly perfect as it is:rolleyes:
    Few things I've ever bought blow me away everytime I switch it on for this long.

Technophobe

4. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup technophobe gotta agree:D ,but still it`s worth trying to find out if there is anything to improve what is already so damn good(especially at the prices we paid for it);)

5. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, if your Z9000 is connected to a DVD player, you can improve it by connecting it to a HTPC. With an ATI Radeon 7500 + Sonic Player + a very good subD15 cable, I can assure you that you are going to see a improvement. But HTPC is not everyone's cup of tea ;).
    Mine is as convenient as a normal DVD player. I added a remote control. Even my wife can use it !! :D

6. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Corleone88

Yes the sharp is connected to a PAL Progressive Scan DVD player so the PJ only has to scale the signal and not deinterlace it.
    The PJ has a good scaler anyway so do you still think I would see any improvment?

Technophobe

7. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely. I have seen plenty of DVD players, and my HTPC gives a much better picture. But I didn't see the next generation like the Pioneer 757...
    That's a shame you don't live near Cambridge ;)
    A demo would have been nice.
    I don't own a Z9000 (just a Plus Piano), but I have seen the Z9000 and I plugged it to my HTPC. I immediately saw the difference between YUV and VGA (between S-video and VGA, the differences are huge): better definition, colors and contrast. It was like the picture was slightly out of focus with YUV and with the HTPC became clear.
    But you don't realise it before trying the HTPC ;)
    Cheers

8. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay you've convinced me I'm gonna give it a try.
    I have an ATI All in Wonder Radion card in my PC already so will this give as good results as the ATI Radeon 7500 you have?
    I here laptops will soon be available that use the Radion Graphic chips, do you think these are likely to be as good?
    A laptop could sit on the shelf out of the way and shouldn't make as much noise as a PC.

If I can use my current ATI card, how do I configure it to do 1280x720 Widescreen?

Technophobe

9. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure about the best HTPC configuration for the Z9000. If I remember correctly, it's 1280x720 60Hz which works best. Use the VGA output of your ATI card (same quality as the Radeon7500). The graphic card in the laptops don't give the same picture quality. Avoid them. You also need a good software to play your DVDs. Use the ATI software included with your card (avoid PowerDVD and WinDVD).

10. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the info.
    I've ordered a 5M long vga cable so should be able to try in a few days. In the meantime how do I force the graphics card to output 1280x720 widescreen as only 4:3 modes are listed.

Technophobe

11. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I`m interested to see how this works out,especially with the sharp :)

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    There are several reasons why a HTPC could be better than a prog scan DVD player.

HTPC's work on the digital info on disc. Progressive scan DVD's(except aftermarket modded ones) have to use the analogue video info from mpeg decoder chip then convert back to digital to do de-interlacing, then back to analogue for output to projector.

In an HTPC the transcoding of YPrPb to RGBHV is done in the PC while with a progressive DVD player that job has to be done by the projector, which may or may not be as good.

Others as well but these are some simle ones. Paul, have you done the Rock dem yet

Gordon

13. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,Graham is bringing it over this Saturday, I`m about to make up the cables for it........you are of course more than welcome to pop over and see it for yourself....... if you have the time:) .....i gather from your posting that after market modded prog scan players ,differ from what you say ?if so how?.......and for better or worse

14. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Technophobe,

What do you mean by "only 4:3 modes are listed" ?
    To change the resolution, you go to Start->Settings->Display->Settings. Then you select 1280x720, true color and refresh rate of 60Hz. There is a french forum where you can find a lot of info about the best possible settings for the Z9000. I got the info from there and the tests I have done a few weeks ago with the Z9000. I tested the Z9000 also with 800x600 resolution and the picture was already stunning, better than with YUV.
    Cheers

15. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Technophobe,

If you bring your Sharp (if its not to much greif for you) when you come over you can try it on my HTPC and compare it with your PS DVD, Desktop Radeon cards need powerstrip to set a a cutom resolution for 1280*720.

How are you fixed for this Friday?

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Paul: I believe the Cinematrix after market mod scaler card for DVD players takes te digital component stream from MPEG chipset before it is turned to analogue, something that DVD licence holders are not permitted to do.

The result of this is more detail. Get Graham to show you component v sdi on his RockPlus and you'll see that difference. Having said that I didn't think that the Cinematrix was that fantastic at de-interlacing in comparison to sil503/4 or sage chipped units. So it's one trade off against another

Gordon

17. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Corleone88,

Just checked and there is no 1280x720 mode available only 1280x1024. Think I may need to use powerstrip as John says.

John,

Yep Friday good for me, I'll try and be with you by about 7pm if that's okay with you. Unfortunately my sharp is all tucked away in it's hush box so I'm not really keen on disturbing it.

see ya Friday.

Technophobe

18. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    technophobe sorry to stray in this posting, but i`ve been toying with the idea of a hush box....didn`t know you had one, did you make it or buy it ?,has it made much difference,and what about the heat build up........many questions :rolleyes: ,it will be interesting to hear about your experience with the HTPC,and i`ll let you know how the `Rock` experience goes:)

19. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paulsa,

Yep I made it myself but it's really not that difficult, and the PJ is now very nearly silent in operation.

My HC is in an upstairs room with the loft space above.
    The box is mounted on the ceiling with two bathroom type vents mounted in the ceiling inside the box. One for the fresh (Filtered) air supply and one for the extraction. I've used two inline centrifugal shower fans in the middle of each the pipe runs in the loft, so that they are well out of ear shot and also isolated by the fiberglass insulation. The intake air is taken from inside a built –in cupboard via a filter box. The hot exhaust air is simply dumped in the loft.
    I've measured the air flow in/out of the box and calculated the air is being changed every few seconds, so there is little chance of any heat build up.
    I think the advantages are many fold:

The Pj is very nearly silent, and is isolated from the room air away from any smokers.
    It's fed with cool filtered air which should help prevent dust build up in the long term.
    The heat is kept out the room, which should help to keep it a little cooler.
    Added security of having the PJ in the box.
    Also since it's been in the hush box the PJ's cooling fan never seems to switch to it's high speed mode which it did sometimes do before, suggesting it's probably running cooler in the box.

Technophobe