Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sharp Panel Funnies

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by edgeman, Sep 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. edgeman

edgeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the Sharp LC37P50E LCD Panel - I'm pleased with it in general but have a few quirks.

1. Seem to have some some "funnies" with my Sky + remote - Sky box is connected via IXUS RGB SCart cable into EXT 1 of the Panel from the TV Scart output of the Sky + box. Sometimes when I switch the panel on the SKY remote doesn't function in that the Remote LED blinks but the remote sensor on the SKY machine doesn't blink, If I then select another input the SKY + remote sensor does pick up the signals from the remote?? If I then select the EXT 1 input again and press the SKY Remote the SKY + sensor then picks it up and things start to work? (And yes the remote is selected with the SKY button not via the TV button)

2. Got the Pioneer DV575A connected VIA component into the Panel - when I switch the DVD player to do Progressive rather than Interlace the Sharp Panel detects this i.e displays 580p (well should be 576p but whatever) however the top couple of inches of the screen flicker very badly, its the same with a Region 1 NTSC progressive! If I switched the DVD player to Interlace it detects 580i and everything works ok. (I have tried switching the panels inputs to Progressive via the menu button but still no difference)

Any ideas on any of the above?

Thanks

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Not had any remote problems myself but I do notice that you need to be in line with the remote sensors on the TV and Sky+ box, more so than my old TV. Maybe the IR signal is being interfered by the TV.

I'd be interested in what happens with you're DVD problem as I was thinking of getting the Pio 575 myself. I'm assuming you've got Progressive selected on the DVD player (PRGSVE highlighted on the DVDs display), the input set component on the TV and I/P setting on the TV also set to Progressive. You colud try and set the DVD player tou output interlace via component, leaving progressive set on the TV thus allowing the Sharp to handle the deinterlacing.

Also do you notice that if you press TV on you're Sky remote and select a terrestrial channel the sound is quite faint to start off until you select another channel.

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I posted this in another thread but I was wondering if you could also check this. I've also got the LC37P50E and have noticed a faint humming/buzzing noise which is most noticable around the top left-hand air vents. It's OK during the day but more obvious at night. Can you check yours has this maybe just normal operating noise and I'm probably just being paranoid.

4. jabberwocky-

jabberwocky-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How does the picture look using 'interlace' is it any good?

I am also thinking of getting the 575 with this set, but bit concerned if progressive doesnt work....

5. edgeman

edgeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To answer both questions.

1. Can't say I`ve noticed any buzz... will double check when I get home.

2. Picture via Interlace is v.Good... however still want Progressive to work...

6. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    If you pass an interlaced picture via the DVD player to the TV which is set to progressive then I believe you still get a progressive picture, it's just the screen thats providing the deinterlacing rather than the DVD player. I maybe wrong but I think that's how it works.

7. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    How did you get on?

8. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Edgeman, I had problems with my Sony LCD TV and a Pioneer Progressive Scan player. The difference was, that Interlaced mode wouldn't display at all. I found that the problem was that the DVD player had it's video mode set to "AUTO" rather than PAL or NTSC. If you turn the player on while holding Chapter Next >> on the front of it, it will cycle through the modes. Maybe setting it to one or the other will give you working Progressive Scan. (Don't worry, only the main menus are forced to PAL or NTSC - PAL discs will show as PAL Progressive, NTSC as NTSC Progressive).

9. jabberwocky-

jabberwocky-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I too am experiencing this exact problem!

Has anyone got an idea if its our setup thats causing this, or a fault with the Sharp p50 TV?

It is like the sets EXT1/2 scarts are interfering with the SKY remote...is this possible? very weird and annoying....ruined my Friday :(

10. nodabble

nodabble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sharp LC-32P50E arrived yesterday :clap:

I am extremely impressed with the picture quality. I was worried that it would not be as good as my previous CRT (a Tosh 36ZP18) or that the pixels might be visible from a normal viewing distance - but neither is the case. The picture is crisp, clear and bright - both on Sky+ and component DVD.

Speaking of which, I tried connecting a progressive component DVD player to the TV to see if the juddering problem was present - and it was. :rolleyes: With my DVD player set to interlace component the problem disappeared. I tried *really* hard to spot any visible difference in PQ between progressive and interlace output from my DVD player connected to the TV (which is in progressive mode) and I just can't! Both look equally detailed and rock-solid, so I'm happy to leave my DVD player in interlace mode for now. However, I shall still be getting in touch with Sharp to fix it!

I've not experienced any 'clashing' remote control problems yet, but it's still early days. And I haven't noticed any operating buzz either. When I put my ear next to the muted TV the only thing I can hear is the fan from my Sky+ box 2 shelves below! :D

My only slight gripe (and this is really minor) is that the 'panorama' picture mode (which stretches a 4:3 image to fill the screen) could be better. Compared to my Tosh CRT people look squashed. I wish I could stretch the image vertically by a couple of inches but I haven't found a way of doing this yet - even in the service menu.

Finally I'll leave you with my thoughts on some of the picture enhancement settings...
    OPC - I have this switched on as I find it works surprisingly well.
    Black - I have this switched on as it does seem to deepen the blacks.
    3D-Y/C - No idea what this is for so I left it alone.
    Film Mode - Ditto. Anyone know what this does???
    I/P Setting - Always on Progressive for a rock-solid image.
    DNR - Can't tell any difference between the settings so I left it off.
    Quick Shoot - I've turned this on as it seems so sharpen the scrolling text on channels such as Price Drop TV, Bloomberg and CNBC. This TV certainly does a far better job of maintaining the integrity of scrolling text than my 100Hz Tosh CRT.

11. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I've had mine now for over 2 weeks and not seen this at all, although it can be slow to react the moment after I turn the screen on but after that it's fine.

12. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I don't think it's much of a problme but JL have offered to replace it anyway rather than send an Engineer out to check it.

I don't think it looks that bad but you can zoom it in a bit by using the Cinema 14:9 setting but you will lose detail top and bottom.

You may find that OPC will set the backlight too low early evening and at night so I only have mine switched on during daylight hours. I keep Black turned off because I think it introduces more noise to the picture. 3D-Y/C is for reducing dot-crawl on an analogue input. I can't remember exactly what film mode does, something about auto detecting a signal encoded on certain movies and changing some setting accordingly, I leave it switched on. The rest of my settings are like yours as it seems to give the best picture. I've listed my entire settings incl. contrast, brightness etc on another of these threads somewhere.

13. jabberwocky-

jabberwocky-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  14. RobbySpurs

RobbySpurs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,867
    Edgeman, did uou ever get this sorted? Looks like I have the exact same problem.... ;)