1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp P50 Series Ignored?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by kmhtkmhtkmht, Aug 14, 2005.

1. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am surprised I'm not finding more chat on this range of set's from Sharp - being Pal Optimised the TV is great for those that just watch Sky and the Occasional DVDs, with ALL this hype about HDTV - I feel this set isn't getting the attention it deserves, sure HDTV will look great and all that but for the UK when it eventually comes out in the form of the Sky HD box, I am sure only a few channels will be HD, so why all the fuss?!

Any reviews or comments on the P50 range?

2. bassman92

bassman92

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the 32 in version in my local Currys yesterday and although it was fed of the usual antenna system it had the best analogue picture of all the sets on display, very crisp with good detail so that bodes well for use on a good signal. It certainly looks the part too!. I couldn't tell what the sound was like as the shop was too noisy and the remote is a very strange shape but i'm sure you would get used to it.

I must agree with you on the HD hype thats about. All I watch is the normal 5 channels with a bit of freeview and the occasional DVD and was drawn into the "should I get HD now" quandry, but the more I think about it the answer is not yet. Analogue switch off is a long time off in tv terms, and the early adopters will pay heavily for the service as I cant see auntie beeb etc doing anything soon and I just wont pay for Sky. :lesson:

Anyone interested in a "normal" type of tv then give this series a look. It's certainly on my list now!

3. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I guess it comes down to how long your likely to hold onto a set before selling. Also not being HD may effect resale value in the future once it starts to be advertised. I see it like going for a 4:3 set when widescreen was flooding the market but actual broadcast material was still rare. I remember people coming into Currys and asking me whether is was worth going for a widescreen unit and to tell you the truth after honestly advising them at that time widescreen was often chosen. The situation is a little different in that actual image quality was not affected but rather the size of the image (take 4:3 borders on 16:9 into consideration). Even now that vast majority of programming shown on Sky available channels is 4:3 but importantly almost all new productions are now widescreen.

I would personally still opt for a true HD screen but then again I havn't seen the P50 in the flesh so I could well change my mind in the future. In the US 4:3 HDTV still sell well so I guess there is always a market.

4. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted a thread yesterday asking if any one had seen on of these sets, or the 37". As I'm going to have to replace the buzzing 37wl56p Tosh I have.

Well I spent most of yesterday here and there and can report that I've seen several, I'm not going to report specific shops because of what was said but the following is interesting.

The 32"P series was set up next to a 32" Tosh in the one shop (I did notice that the Tosh's screen pixel array was different to my 37" (which appears more standard), the Tosh had a slight advantage as it did look sharper (obviously more enhanced def) but only just. The Sharp P - has better contrast and colour, it is a crisper picture and the movement of the picture is far better- after some time I can say that it was the better picture and the one that stood out (yes, the 'T' shape remote is a little strange), a Samsung also looked good but I couldn't get the colour right. I asked about the set and was told that the PAL issue was confusing customers at a time when the HD message is starting to get through.

The next shop had a JVC, Samsung and a Sharp LCDs, this time I tried them with a Samsung DVD player, the interesting thing is the Sharp looked much much better than the others, and better when fed via HDMI (which as a Tosh owner is a disapointment), the signal was upscaled to 720p and the set down scaled it, now the interesting thing is the picture seemed to improve?!!

5. jobseeker

jobseeker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I'll say here what I've said in each of the threads posted so far on this matter. I have a 37" P50 on order. So far, I seem to be the only person who's buying one on here. I have high hopes for it as I'm one of the few people on here who just wants to watch tele (no computers, no games). I do watch DVD (mainly music) but the vast majority of my viewing is off-air. A good PAL picture is perfectly adequate for me - the trouible with most LCD sets is that you don't get that! I can see the sense of Hi-Def if I ever get a 50"+ screen and when it's free!

6. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I too saw this t.v. yesterday and I have to say I was pretty impressed and agree with others that have auditioned this new offering from Sharp. It is still advertised as HD ready, and from what I have read only the most discerning die hard HD enthusiast would be able to detect any difference between the P50 displaying HD and any other type of LCD and Plasma. Quite an intriguing proposition.

7. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't play video games and I've no wish to pay for Sky+HD, I'll wait until its free, which will be years away. So the thought of one of these sets is appealing after the problems I've got with the Tosh.

The picture is really good on the 32" P50, where have you seen a 37" as I'd like to check it out before I order? If the performance of the 32" is anything to go by it should be great.

The other point is the build quality, it is far better than most, and it is made at their factory in Japan.

Jobseeker, when is your set likely to arrive? If its your first LCD, give it some time to 'run in', they look better after 10 hours, then once you have it I'll be surprised if you turn it off all day!

8. jobseeker

jobseeker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Havent seen the 37 in the flesh, which is one of the main reasons I've ordered on-line, i.e. I can send it back under distance-selling regs. It was supposed to come into stock by the end of the week just finished. Obviously it hasn't done so yet. I'm hopeful for sometime during August. It may be that I'll be sitting a little close for the screen size, but if that's so when i get it then I'll swap it to a 32 and use the money saved to go towards a 26 as well.

9. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    DVD's come in 720 x 576 pixels (PAL DVDs) or 720 x 480 pixels (NTSC DVDs)

Does any one know how well this will map to the Sharps 960 x 540?

10. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    PAL DVDs are not 576, that's broadcast resolution once the teletext, PDC/VPS, etc has been removed.
    DVD is 540 lines, so it'll map nicey on the P50. NTSC DVDs will be mapped accordingly or upscaled to fill the 540 pixels available, not sure which.

11. timdawe

timdawe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PAL DVD resolution is 720 x 576 (generally, though there are some other valid resolutions defined in the specification). Broadcast PAL is 625 lines, of which 576 carry picture information, the rest are Teletext etc.

I believe that the 576 -> 540 mapping is done by cutting off the outside of the picture, which would not normally be seen on a CRT anyway due to overscan.

12. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I author DVDs and can confirm that PAL is 720x576, NTSC is 720x480.

13. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So for PAL we think the Sharp will cut 18 lines/pixels from top and 18 from the bottom, sounds better than downscaling to me.

For NTSC we don't no, maybe upscale or a 30 Line black bar at top and bottom.

Does anyone have any links/sources on what methods are being employed?

14. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Ooops, thanks guys for the correction. I was convinced 540 was DVD's limit. Another day another lesson. :)

15. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thinking about it, most DVD's seem to have black bars at the top and bottom anyway.

Anyone know how many black lines each Aspect Ratio put at the top and bottom?

16. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry, i have to speak in baby language cuz i`m only just learning all this stuff off you guys, BUT basically what i`m understanding is that the P50 is not true HD but downscaling the image to the tvs resolution? ?? BUT never the less, will choosing this TV be any benefit when HD begins to make a bigger brake through and even currently with DVDs or is it pretty useless, ....reason being i`m looking at the P50 and panny lxd50 and dunno which to go for!

17. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll call Sharp tomorrow and ask them about how this set deals with the pictures and the issue of NTSC, I'll let you know in the evening.

18. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    For Aspect Ratio info check-out http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=296

Basicly out of the methods PAL Anamorphic, PAL Non-Anamorphic, NTSC Anamorphic, NTSC Non-Anamorphic in the ratio's 16:9, 1.85, 2.35

Only PAL Anamorphic 16:9 (576 Lines) and PAL Anamorphic 1.85: (553 Lines) flims will mean loss of active picture.

Is this right?

19. jobseeker

jobseeker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    A poster in one of the previous threads on this subject said that Sharps tech people told him the DVD image was scaled

20. mr-monday

mr-monday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Well that has got me thinking! I know a lot of plasmas look really good when fed a high def signal, even though downscaling is taking place.

Add another screen to my shortlist! Anyone got a link to a manual?

21. mr-monday

mr-monday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I found a German manual for this last night. The panel does accept an NTSC/PAL 60 signal, but do you guys reckon it would look bad, bearing in mind it would have to be scaled?

22. f1005705

f1005705
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done it. I've purchased a 32" from Currys (matched the internet price). Got it in the back of my car on my way home.

Hope it is as good as I expect.

23. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    d00d!!! nice one!

PLEASE let us know ASAP your opinions, i went into currys today and for £950 it seems a bargain!!

Like i say, let us know your opinions, i went to currys "Manchester" today, but they didnt have one set up!!

The only thing that worries me, is the P50 a true HD setup, or when it properly comes out are we just gonna have to upgrade again!?

24. mr-monday

mr-monday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    So how is it?

Do you have an upscaling DVD player to test with it?

25. MancNJB

MancNJB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has anyone seen a 26" yet? Saw a 32" on saturday in JL and thought the PQ was better than latest JVC, panny and Philips.

26. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    It's not true HD in the respect that it doesn't have the minimum vertical resolution of 720 lines and that it would downscale any HD signal it receives but then again so will most "HD Ready" plasmas that are currently available.

27. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    That's the general idea being that these sets are optimised for standard PAL broadcasts, I would be disappointed if they weren't. However you have to ask yourself whether you intend to jump on the HD waggon over the next year or so in which case the new HD models from JVC, Philips, Sony etc would suit you better.

28. MancNJB

MancNJB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When is the HD wagon coming along, I know sky have been talking about it for a while but is there any definite date and how about the other broadcasters?

29. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Possibly late this year or early 2006 seeing as Sky have already shown details of the new box.

30. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    RE: Sky HD

Don't forget you will be paying a premium for it, at least £10 a month is more than likely intially. BBC to possibly show some Hi Def stuff around 2010ish I think. The main benefit of Sky HD will be football intially so if you are not a footy fan then you probably shouldn't worry about HD too much.

Having said that the HD on the Sharp is likely to be very good anyway, just not as good as some more genuine HD tv's. If you really wanted this TV I wouldn't be put off by the fact it is not a fully fledged HD TV.