1. Join Now

    AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp noise in speakers with A90

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by RadonFino, May 4, 2005.

  1. RadonFino

    RadonFino
    Guest

    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

    I just bought a used A90 integrated amp (new in Jan 2005). Two-three times per day I can hear a sharp short noise (kind of "electrical") in the speakers. If music is playing, the noise is followed by a few seconds of silence. Sounds like the output stage is coupled out (which probably have saved my speakers)...

    Have anyone noticed something similar??

    This is what I've tried: swap between grounded/ungrounded mains, with/without mains filter, tested two different sets of speakers.

    Since the amp is still under warranty, I will simply return it of course, but if anyone have any ideas that would be appreciated.

    RadonFino
     
  2. ANDY_DUTTON

    ANDY_DUTTON
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2002
    Messages:
    498
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    Cambridge
    Ratings:
    +87
    This kind of sound can often be caused by the central heating system, freezer or fridge cutting in and out. Central heating is usually the worst as they don't seem to put any filtering on them at all.

    Please try to see if the sound occurs at the same time as any of these things turning on or off as if this is the problem returning the unit won't fix it.

    Regards,
    Andrew
     
  3. RadonFino

    RadonFino
    Guest

    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I got that suggestion from the person I bought the unit from as well. But if that's the case is there anything I can do? Can the amp take it?

    RadonFino
     
  4. ANDY_DUTTON

    ANDY_DUTTON
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2002
    Messages:
    498
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    Cambridge
    Ratings:
    +87
    You could try a filter plug on the amp (you can get the anti surge distribution blocks), but usually you need to fit it to the product that is causing the problem (i.e the heating).

    Regards,
    Andrew
     
  5. David-Bel

    David-Bel
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2004
    Messages:
    67
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi RadonFino,

    Have a look at that post, I'm sure you'll be interrested : http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206166
    I personnaly took Andrew's advice and it appeared that the anti-surge filter was the solution. And this at reasonable cost.

    Cheers,
    David
     
  6. RadonFino

    RadonFino
    Guest

    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi David,

    It is connected to a surge protection filter already (Voltex), but I didnt connect all my gear through it, so maybe that's the solution. Was gonna save some money and bought a filter with only two outlets, in which I've plugged my CD player and A90.

    I noted something, though, that might be related to this: Last week I unplugged the signal cables from my DVD player (for other reasons), and since then: no spikes! So maybe the antenna signal (cable TV) is actually what's causing the problem. I've been suspicious to that signal for some time as it has given me electrick shocks several times. First time was when I was connecting it to a TV PCI card in my computer. Second time I actually got shocked from the SCART plug when connecting the TV to the DVD player... The people at the TV PCI card store told me it was not un-normal to get shocked by an antenna signal. Do you know anything about that?

    Dagfinn
     
  7. Shaggybert

    Shaggybert
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2005
    Messages:
    191
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    East Sussex
    Ratings:
    +14
    I used to be able to get an electric shock from my aerial coaxial cable, until I had it replaced.

    When the engineer brought it down from the roof, it was clear to see that it was in terrible condition. Several sections of it had almost completely deteriated.

    Since the new one went up, i have messed arround with the cable several times, but never received a shock from it.

    This is an expensive solution though, so it would probably be a good idea to investigate the condition of your cable before getting out the yellow pages.
     
  8. David-Bel

    David-Bel
    Standard Member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2004
    Messages:
    67
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dagfinn,

    I'm no expert at all. But I can tell you that I put all my gears on the surge filter, AS WELL AS the TV cable!!!
    And from the three brands I know in that field (at a quite decent price) you'll easily find a Belkin ('Surgemaster' or 'Pure A/V Isolator') or MGE ('Pulsar') that has a tv coax input feature. I don't think APC's 'SurgeArrest' offers that sort of feature.

    Now, considering that you experienced electric shocks from your tv cables (!), your problem could be more serious than that. But again, I am absolutely no expert.

    Cheers,
    David
     

Share This Page

Loading...