1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp News from CES

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Dubbing Mixer, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Found this while continuing the hunt for a LC-32GA4E

http://yahoo.pcworld.com/yahoo/article/0,aid,119176,00.asp

If it is old news around here, my apologies.

The upshot of it is, if you're looking for a 32 inch with HD capability and removable side speakers you're probably going to be out of luck unless the folks who believe the GA4E is to continue are correct.

2. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    damn shame the GA5E which is the same model range for europe dont have the dvi-i port

3. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No mention of HDMI compliance though.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if the GA6 materialises with both HDMI and removable speakers.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Gd1e???????

5. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Don't want seperate media box and the price is too high for the product. OK, I know it's the premium model but the technology is the same as the GA4

I'll admit I may be a little odd in this respect but these days, regardless of whether I can afford it, when I buy anything major, a car, lawnmower or a TV, I won't pay more than I think it is really worth. I.e. what it costs to develop, make, market plus a reasonable profit.

It probably comes from having my fingers bitten too often in the past from being too far up the early adopter curve. E.g. An early LED calculator I didn't really need cost a weeks wages, or my first (second hand) computer at a price I don't even want to think about and my first Macintosh for three months wages.

In the case of 32" LCD TVs, the technology isn't rocket science any more, the R&D costs have largely been amortized, panel production is far more reliable than it used to be and production exceeds demand. (except maybe in the case of the Sharp GA4) ;-)

My gut feeling is that the realistic retail price should be around the £1000 mark. less for names you've never heard of, more for premium models. Any lower and the manufacturing quality will start to suffer.

You may have heard Philips/LG whining that their profits are down because people are not prepared to pay what Philips thought they would or should, so they are going to have to lower prices.

From this I deduce I'm not alone in this thinking. In fact, I know I'm not. A friend with less interest in doing the research is going to buy the same set at the same time I do. To put it another way, We're consumers on strike. The plastic is only going to be flashed when I consider we're going to get good value for money. The GA4 was, so it sold out. The GD1e, splendid set that is, isn't good VFM hence it's still available and the price is slowly falling. The GA5 isn't good value either for reasons well rehearsed in this forum.

At present I'm inclined to sit on it until spring.