1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SHARP, LOEWE & JVC - shared panels?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Northerner76, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I am correct in believing that the LCD panels in current TV's from Loewe (e.g. spheros 37, concept 32), JVC (e.g. 37DS6, 32DS6) and Sharp (e.g.37GD7,32GD7) are shared.
    I was under the impression that Sharp was the manufacturer and that JVC and Loewe buy the panels in - adding their own driver electronics, picture processing software and aesthetics to deliver a unique TV.

I ask because I am looking at the JVC 37DS6 and the Sharp 37GD7 and I like the sound of the Sharp unit having a later generation panel (tends to mean most of the issues have been ironed out) but I like the price of the JVC :eek:)

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I don't know about JVC, but this is certainly the case with Loewe - Loewe as part owned by Sharp and design and build some of their high end displays, conversely, I believe that Sharp make some of the Loewe budget models.

You mention the Spheros 37. This is, IMHO a fantastic machine and still superior to the other models you mention. I bought a Xelos SL (different from the Xelos A series) and whilst the Spheros and Xelos SL share the same media box and electronics (audio side is slightly different), the notcable difference in picture quality between the two units is simply down to the superior optics in the Spheros - ie anti reflective glass screen. Whilst this may be viewed a an aesthetic feature, it also goes to show that no matter what new electronic gizmo is invented or improved on, build and design quality can also have a significant effect on picture quality. I use the analogy between a decent pair of Oakley sunglasses and a cheap pair from Boots. Maybe I am just showing my age.

3. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, ianh, you're right...don't worry bout the age thing (yet).

4. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Ian - I agree I spent about 40 minutes with spheros 37 in Selfridges and was mightily impressed - build quality is superlative, picture looked sublime - no comparison with the other models near by... only thing that put me off is the price... its nearly £2000 more than the JVC and Sharp mentioned - if that price difference was more like £1000 then I might be tempted - but then again I guess Loewe would have to cut some corners to achieve that and then it wouldn't be the same classy product :nono:

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Be careful when comparing prices if the Spheros against others - I fell victim to that and ended up with the Xelos SL instead - The SL is a mighty fine machine, but the Spheros is better. But I could not justify the huge price difference.

However, what I did not realise is that when advertised, the Spheros is normally shown fully loaded. For example, whe black basalt case added about £1000 to the price.

When I purchased, the difference between Xelos and Spheros looked to be £2000. In reality, the difference between Xelos and Spheros, spec for spec was £600 and I would have forgone my DR+/D-TV option for that. But I didn't fully understand the Loewe pricing at that time.

So when looking at the Spheros, make sure it doesn't include the black case and DR+ options. I believe that there is or will soon be a Spheros R. This looks to do for the Spheros what the Xelos A series did for the Xelos SL - single box, limited expandability.

6. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    interesting point Ian - I will look into that - cheers

P.S. can anyone shed any light on whether the JVC shares a SHARP panel... GaryB mentioned it in passing if I remember correctly... but iu wasn't sure if it would be the same panel as the DG7

7. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    JVC and Panasonic share the same screens under the Matsush*ta group of companies, which is a direct rival to Sharp.

8. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    The LT-37DS6 & LT-37DM6 use a Sharp panel but I don't know if it's the same one used in the 37GD7. Most other JVC sets use Samsung panels.

9. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Cheers Gary.

10. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Is this heresay or do you actually know this for a fact, being competitors I would have thought this would be the last thing Sharp would do.

11. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As GaryB works for JVC I think he might know the facts !!.

12. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I was just asking!

13. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    IanH, any thoughts on how the new toshiba compares picture-wise to the spheros - also does the spheros have the image + gizma that is been marketed for the new individual?

14. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Don't believe so - the Individual is a new model in its own right, rather than some half-way house between the Spheros and Xelos. It wasn't derived from either model of those models, IIRC.

Also, JVC's panel is new, same as in Sharp's GA6/GD7 range. Their own electronics of course.

15. fauken

fauken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI Northerner76,

THINK ABOUT THE NEW SPHEROS R 37. HERE IN DENMARK ITS CHEAPER THAN THE OLD SPHEROS 37 AND YOU GET THE BEST AND NEWEST QUALITY ALL INCLUDED. THE INDIVIDUAL SERIES DONT COME IN 37 ONLY UP TO 32.

THE LIST-PRICE IN GERMANY IS EUR 3.999'

JENS

16. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    NO NEED TO SHOUT!! :lease:

17. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Jens, if you can get both in Denmark - any first thoughts on the comparison in picture quality. Does the image + make a difference (I think I am right in assuming these are on the new spheros)? And which LCD 37" do you think is currently the best for pic quality?

I also prefer seperate tuner box to plug other units in, pity the new R series does not include these.

18. fauken

fauken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to the newest catalog from Germany "Gesamtprogramm 1/2006" and pricelist there will be no normal Spheros models in the future only R models. So not possible with separate tunerbox anymore as I see it.

Besides Image+ more new technolygies in the new R-series: Sound+, Assist+, Digital+

Jens