1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LCD Fan Noise

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Bails, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Bails

Bails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am seriously considering one of these televisions to replace an original LC-30HV2U. However, one of the reasons I want to get rid of the old one is the noise the cooling fan makes, which at low volumes at night is quite audible.

The new panels look great, but it's impossible to judge the fan noise (both in the panel and in the avc unit) in a noisy showroom. I would be very grateful for any impressions of the noise these TVs make in the home environment.

Thanks.

2. Hikikomori

Hikikomori
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got an LC32GD1 which appears to have 3 fans (2 at the top of the panel and 1 in the AVC). The panel fans are quiet, but not silent (I'm about 4' away from it), if there's no sound in the room you can hear the fans (listening at background sound levels totally drowns out the fans). I've got the AVC in a cabinet with heavy glass doors which pretty much kills the fan noise, the only time I hear the AVC fan is after I've turned it off (the fan continues to run for about a minute after it's turned off).
    During normal daytime viewing the fans can't really be heard (unless you mute everything or try hard to listen out for them at background level :rolleyes: ), for night time quiet viewing though the fans can be heard, saying that though it's very quiet where I live, and I could hear a pin drop on a deep pile carpet with my sensitive ears :laugh: It's more of a gentle, mellow soothing hum than an annoying whine though (if you even hear them at all).

Some people are more sensitive to fan noise than others, you really could do with a good demo...

It's a lot of money to spend on a TV and most of the higher end quality showrooms acknowledge this and will set-up a demo room for you. Places like Sevenoaks will make a special appointment for you in a private listening room complete with free tea (or coffee) and biscuits :smashin:
    If there's no quality showrooms like that in your area go to the usual high street trashy shops just before they're closing, I managed to get a more than adequate demo from Apollo a couple of minutes before closing. They were in the process of turning everything off and kicking everyone out and locking-up, I managed to get the boss to demo it one-on-one with nobody around and nothing else instore running. The guy was surprisingly helpful, but as is usually the case with high street store, he really didn't know what he was talking about...