1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LCD and JL experience

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by richjthorpe, Dec 6, 2004.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Morning all,

There might be an opportunity for me to get a 32GA3 pricematched (Just waiting for confirmation) and so I decided to go into JL to take a look at the 37" version as they are about the same. Must say I was impressed with the refresh rate, football was being shown on the panels and there wasn't any motion blur or jerkiness or the ball completely missing. Only thing was the PQ was awful.

From reading here, I understand that default settings are crap and so I asked them to connect a DVD player via RGB SCART. They connected the Panny E55 HDD recorder to the GA37. The picture was appalling !

I asked for the remote to play with the settings and they had put it down in the warehouse. 10 minutes later, the assistant returns empty handed and fractically hunts for the remote angrily muttering "Where have they been put" trying to accuse others of moving the remote. Finally he found a Sharp remote (He was told all Sharp remotes work....1st one didn't, second one did, don't know whether this was the correct one for the tv) and I tried switching the input signal. I could only switch between Composite and S-Video. After asking him to change the SCART input, I finally could switch to RGB......nothing. Black screen. The DVD player I thought. Asked for the remote for that.....another 5 minutes of waiting. After grabbing hold of this remote I couldn't find if there was a way of changing the output signal from the DVD player. After the sales guy giving up I asked to change the DVD player the next one along......a Jamo (I know they are well known in speaker world, but to me Jamo producing DVD players is like Porsche producing a 4x4. Stick to what you know).

Anyway, I digress. The PQ was better but there was still noise present and I hadn't got the time to play with the settings to get it perfect. I might have to go back down with the settings on this board to try and get something right. Just before I left, noticed that they linked the DVD player up with a homebrand Jonelle SCART cable, might have had something to do with it.

My wife wasn't impressed with 1. The TV, although I made back some ground by saying the settings was rubbish, the DVD player was unkown to me in quality and the cables were standard. 2. The staff at JL. My wife's a firm believer that JL offer a good customer service and that the knowledge they carry is a giant step over Dixons and Currys. She was appalled by the farce of me trying to get the DVD to work with the TV and the way the assistant kept accusing other of moving the remotes. She actually asked one of the assistants if they got any product training at all, the guy replied saying he was from the computer section and didn't know about the panels (This wasn't the assistant who was helping us I'd like to say).

All in all, it was like nutting my head against a brick wall. I had to suggest every different way to connect the DVD and TV with no input from the assistants and they merely handed the remote over to me to change the settings for the inputs. They also thought that RGB signals go down component cables (About 0.1% can I know) and not SCART. I ended up telling the two assistants the difference between Composite, RGB, S-Video and DVI/HDMI. I did wonder if they'd ever heard of Progressive Scan, but I was getting hungry and didn't have the time.

I thought JL was supposed to be one of the better companies around to buy electrical stuff from and one of the best for customer service. I'm going to have to make another trip to test the TV out again because of their incompetence.

Hopefully, at the end of this, I shall be receiving a 32GA3 (If they pricematch correctly !). Please tell me the PQ is as good as a mid range CRT (If not better). I've seen 2 reveiws on the Sharps, the 32GD1E was 'Plagued by noise' and the 37GA3E was superb according to HCC.

Appologies, rant over. Still thinking of opening my own Home Cinema store !

Richie.

2. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're anywhere near me you're welcome to come have a look at my GA4E...

Phil

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Phil,

Many thanks for the offer, very kind of you. Just seen where you are and it's a little too far though, I'm in Twickenham, Middlesex.

Thanks again,

Richie.

4. roopsbrar

roopsbrar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Richie,

I'm in Twickenham, and have a Sharp LC37HV4E - not hooked to any decent DVD at present, but you're welcome to bring your own and have a play!

Rgds

5. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    i think john lewis have very good return policy its just the staff are not that well trained,i know they have got no 32ga3 in stock just the 37.i got the 26inch just to see what it was like 28day money back guarantee unlucky for me it had a red pixel in the middle and there was another problem but give them the credit they refunded me straight away,by the way awsome screens once they are calibrated

6. roopsbrar

roopsbrar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andya - how did you get/who did you use to get your screen calibrated?

7. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    i did it myself with avia and dvd essentials dvd it took me about 6 hours to get it how i liked it,and the difference for me was remarkable

8. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Andya,
    What settings did you end up with? :thumbsup:

9. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    can i just say in the type of world we live in its hard to keep remotes out as they tend to get nicked also going into a store on what i can imagine is a pretty busy one with temp staff in isnt the best idea
    i dont like it when people tar the whole company with one brush as its just stupid please go into dixons and see that they have all there tvs connected to a aerial and will not connect a dvd player or nay type as its cost them too much money and they cant be bothered
    oh and then price match with them even though the service isnt half as good and then complain that it takes too long!
    please go into a john lewis ask for permanent staff during a quiet time and do the same im sorry but on busy days there isnt time to sod around finding a remote that could or coulnt be around as it could have been stolen and also keep changing dvd players for each and every customer who want to watch everything going and is still not happy with the service!
    any way rant over

10. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry, but I completely disagree.

Yes, in the sense of remote controls, keep them away from peoples theiving hands but at least keep them in a drawer/cupboard close to the tv's and not in the warehouse ! Failing that, maybe some kind of security cable like all of the major mobile phone retailers have.

Unfortunately, I also work and the only time I can get to places like JL are on days where 80% of the customers will also go there. I agree that getting the village gimp to help demo a tv isn't the greatest but JL isn't like McDonalds where you can tell the difference between 'Johnny No Stars' and a Lifetime worker by looking at the huge badge on their shirt. Since JL staff dress elegently in trousers, shirt and a blazer it inspires confidence in the customer. The bloke I ended up getting didn't know as much as I did about the tv I wanted, granted I'm not expecting him to be an expert in every TV in the equipment room but it is his job to know more than the average Joe Public. And if even then the person still cannot answer my questions then he refer me to a senior member of the team who can help instead of just flustering around.

So are JLs
    Actually I went into Currys to test out the Hitachi LCD with a DVD player. Admittedly they didn't know the difference between RGB and Component but they were obliging in cracking open brand new cables to set it up. That said I stail hold JL above Dixons/Currys.

How I figure it is that the extra one would pay for a TV in JL over the internet is a combination of warranty and personal customer service. Since Sharp were giving 3 years warranty and the customer service was crap, I have no problem with price matching. Also, JL told me that they deffinately could get the Sharp 32GA3E whereas everywhere else said they were out of stock.

I did go into JL again to check out the panel and the manager (Gavin) was very knowlegable. This was on a Monday night where I had got away from work early so it wasn't busy. Although knowlegable, Gavin was too busy setting up the new Kef DVD system so even when I do get the manager, he is busy. Not taking that away from Gavin, he is the only saving grace of the JL I have had experience with.

Anyone can plug in a SCART cable from a DVD player to a TV so it's not that hard for an assistant to set up a TV. Spending 5 minutes familiarising yourself with the TV and it's remote doesn't take long and with companies sharing their menus and remotes throughout a line it wouldn't take that long. When I went into the equipment room on a Saturday afternoon I found 3 assistants watching football on tv. None of them could actually be bothered to ask if I needed any help. Call that Customer Service ?

11. rami

rami
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ok newbie here rich but which is the better connection component or rgb, am i right im thinking rgb is a scart lead and component is 3 seperate leads and i pressume the rgb scart is the better connection

we all start somewhere lol!!!

12. nicp01

nicp01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    you dont say what sort of deal you got on the sharp from jl, is it cheaper to go in..its gonna be 40 miles for me...
    regards
    peter

13. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    RGB is most often carried by SCART (although it doesn't have to be) and Component is most often carried by 3 x RCA cables.

There's no difference at all in the quality of the signal. They are different, but equally good.

Except...........Progressive Scan signals (if applicable to you/your TV/your DVD) are typically only carried via Component - not via RGB/SCART. And progressive signals can, in some cases, offer an improvement over normal (interlaced). For that reason alone, component may be viewed as better than RGB.

14. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hey Rami, welcome to the forum !

Generally the signal pecking order goes like this with 1 being best.

1 - Digital via DVI or HDMI
    2 - Component: 3 phono cables.
    3 - RGB and S-Video. Some people argue that RGB is better than SCART and vice versa.
    4 - Composite: SCART/1 Phono cable.

Component connections from DVD to TV unlocks Progressive Scan if the DVD player and TV supports Prog Scan. TVs show pictures in 2 hits, first hit shows lines 1,3,5,7 etc and hit 2 displays 2,4,6,8 etc. This is interlaced. Prog Scan sends all the data at the same time and the TV shows 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 etc meaning there isn't a flicker on the TV. Also Component gives a smoother picture than RGB SCART and S-Video.

Be wary ! Just because you plug in a SCART cable doesn't mean you are sending RGB signals. A fully wired SCART (Using all 21 pins) is able to send Composite, S-Video and RGB and the user has to set up the equipment or use the correct SCART port to use RGB say. Also the TV has to be set to receive RGB on the AV channel, again you may need to change SCART ports to access RGB.

Take a look here for more information on this and lots more !

http://www.av-sales.com/html/questions_and_answers.html

HTH,

Richie.

15. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I haven't got the Sharp......yet. Still waiting for it to be delivered. Unfortunately they have discontinued the model I am getting so you wont get the same deal......That's if Sharp deliver like they say they will !!

Richie.

16. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Andya,
    Any chance you can post your settings?

Cheers
    JimG

17. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In our store the remotes are in a draw and they probably were in that store also but the fact that the guy was a from the computer dept and didnt no and b probably did look in the draws only to find the one he was looking for missing
    with the amount of alarms going off in a store and the amount of movement we have to make moving tvs so customers can compare would mean alarming the remotes is not worth the hassle

fair enough not being able to get into the store at quieter times but when you go in at very busy times you shouldnt expect that sort of movement of products as you think it doesnt take long to "just plug in a scart lead" but when you do that to 3 dvd players and 3 different cables on 2 tvs it starts taking time

90% of our tvs are connected to either sky or a dvd source of some type the others due to the vast majority on display may be on a aerial but not like the 90% on aerial in currys

Price match thing i dont really care about as i would do the same and do do the same i was just making a point

as to the assistants watching tv i cant say much for that but if you had approached them they should have helped cant argue with that but as for the rest i think you are being a bit harsh but maybe that just me seeing it from my point of view

we have typically in my branch hundreds of customers a day all wanting different things
    some want a dvd connected some want hi def material connected others sky others a normal aerial to compare if we did this every time we simply would never serve the customers who want to buy things
    we also get hundreds of customers who want us to do everything or them only to say at the very end that they will be buying it from the internet as they can save £50 on the item and just wanted to see it running here!
    we also have to contend with customers who want to complain to trading standards as we advertise a samsung tv as being 20" visable screen which it is but due to its input its cropping the picture and he could only see 15" worht of screen and said its false advertising???? you try contending with this each day!
    sorry if this seems harsh its just we have to put up with people shouting at us for everything from they cant recieve digital in there area to the fact they have to be put into a queue due to the huge demand on us in the busy period i get fed up when people moan about stupid things and cant be bothered to stand here when we have to put up with such s**t from everyone
    rant over

18. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    oh and not top mention the fact that every other customer comes in saying that they have heard from someone in dixons or currys or comet that plasmas only last 3-5 years and are rubbish so dont buy one and then having to tell them the truth and then them thinking were lying to try and sell them a plasma when we are totally unbias as we dont get commission and are just telling them the truth

19. rami

rami
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info LV - i have just purchased a panasonic e85 dvd recorder which ( when ive figured out how to) im gonna rig up to my 32" sony crt tv, this recorder supports progressive so presumably component will be the best way to do this (hoping to link recorder to sky plus to)

Also considering the sharp lc22sv2e for the bedroom but struggling to find much info on this, i know its in a couple of shops at about a thousand pounds but richer sounds have it for 599 have you any opinions on this screen

many thanks Rami

20. rami

rami
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the welcome Richie much appreciated i know some of the questions us newbies ask must get asked a thousand times, great forum and trying to learn as much as i can, but i got a feeling im gonna end up asking a whole load of questions!!!

cheers again m8 Rami

21. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    Does the TV support

a) component
    b) progressive ?

Most don't. In which case, use RGB.