1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC45GD1E

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jfxp, Mar 17, 2005.

1. jfxp

jfxp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any thoughts on the Sharp LC45GD1E? Native res of 1920 x 1080! Soundz great! What would it be like with sky+ or dvd playback?

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    The only time I've seen one of these was in John Lewis, which hardly represents ideal demo conditions(!) but both then and also when looking at the 32" and 37" versions in Harrods (where screens are usually rather better set up) I was really surprised at just how bad the picture was: all blocking, and dithering. If that's what it looks like in normal use, I wouldn't want to watch it from less than 20 feet away.

I'm told that it looks a lot better with a good progressive DVD source, and I can imagine that it might well look much better again if used with a decent external scaler. It would also look very good for 1080i high-definition material.

IMO the screen is also badly overpriced. Look at the price difference between a GA3E or GA4E and a GD1E in the 32" and 37" sizes: that gives you an idea of how much extra you're paying for a fancier finish on the case and a Freeview tuner. If Sharp were to release a GA version of the screen, that might be rather good value.

3. DaveC

DaveC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I'll take one! Actually this is (as far as I know) the only TRUE HD screen on the market in the UK at the moment. If you really want to be future-proofed for BluRay's 1080p (and maybe HDDVD) discs, then this is the only screen to buy.
    Also expect "next-gen" consoles to have games that support 1080 line gaming (maybe only 1080i though), but if you put a 1080 line source into a TV be it 1080i or 1080p, this is the only display that will show it without scaling.
    I expect (well, hope) that the big manufacturers will all switch to 1080 line displays on their next generation of products, after all if sky HD is 1080 interlaced lines, why would anyone choose to scale it down to 720?

Just a shame it's so damn expensive!!

4. jfxp

jfxp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so is the only difference with the GA3E or GA4E and a GD1E screens the fact that the gd1e comes with freeview tuner and fancy finish?

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Depends what you mean by "True HD screen". There are plenty of things intended for use as computer monitors that go up to 1920x1080 and beyond - but they don't, of course, support HDCP on the digital input, which would be a bit of a problem if you wanted to drive them direct from an encrypted HDTV source, and they're also mostly rather smaller than the sort of thing one usually thinks of as an HDTV.

Examples:

Dell 2405FPW (1920x1200, 24" screen, £860 or rather less on Ebay)

Apple "Cinema" display, 30" screen, 2560x1600, £2100.

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    That and the fact that you can't actually buy GA3 and GA4 models any more because they've been discontinued. :mad: (The GD1 models have a couple of extra inputs on an external "media box" but there's no practical advantage to that).

The GA5 series has what Sharp regard as superior image processing software (and the same panel) but stupidly lacks a digital input, which makes it much less useful for HD.

7. jfxp

jfxp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So would my money be better on a sharp gd1e in 37" or 45" or would i be better going for one of the philips panels with there pixel plus 2 technology?

8. DaveC

DaveC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Sorry, I should have qualified what I meant by "True HD screen" a bit better. But you get the gist. I can't think of any LCD screens sold as monitors that go upto 42". I don't really fancy hanging a white rimmed PC monitor on my wall either!

I don't really understand why there aren't more 1080 line TVs on the market, we know it's possible because of the existance of hi-res PC monitors. Maybe the scaling hardware required to make a PAL/NTSC TV signal look good on a 1080 line set is prohibatively expensive at the moment? 1080 line for the masses is on its way though....HD DVD is supposed to launch at the end of the year, with Sony following sometime next year with the BluRay Playstation3.

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    I've not seen the Philips in action, but the general consensus around here seems to be that it looks better than the Sharp for SD sources, and worse for HD sources. I suspect that the Sharp plus a good external scaler would give you the best of both worlds, but it would also be decidedly pricey.

According to this article if you attempt to use pixel plus 2 on a 720p high-definition signal it first downscales the picture to 576p, then converts the digital signal to analogue, then applies pixel plus, then converts it back to digital, then scales it back up to the screen resolution. So it's hardly surprising that it looks like cr*p by the time its finished doing all that lot.

On the plus side, once we see "pixel plus 2 HD" that might actually look quite good.

10. jfxp

jfxp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new pixel plus 2 HD screens sound great, but july seems a long time away, i was in the market for a screen now, but it seems that there aint a screen available just now that gives the best of all worlds (ie conectivity, good pic quality with sd and hd etc) Unless anyone can recommend an alternate screen available now or soon? Or if not it looks like a wait till july!

11. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    You could try one of the new 50" plasmas from Fujitsu (the 40 series), they're supposed to be seriously good. :)

If you can actually find a 32" or 37" Sharp GA3 or GA4 screen, that might also be a good choice, especially if you can pair it with an external scaler.

(Note that all of these are 1366x768, not 1920x1080, but then very few things are 1920x1080).

Somewhere along the line we might also see 1920x1080 DLP rear projection TVs. They're due out in america in a month or two, but it may be years before we see them here. :(

12. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Saw the Sharp 45GD1 in Sevenoaks Leeds showing HD1 and Astra HD demo in 1080i50. Nice!! ;)

Steve

13. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    I would imagine so, but make sure you demo it on an SD signal before buying. :)

14. jfxp

jfxp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take it sky+ etc is classed as standard def? Some sky progs are good quality ie sky news, other aint so good. Unfortunately my other half likes watching certain soaps that are on bbc and itv etc. I take it the quality of these wouldnt be great on the 45" sharp?

I would be connecting my pioneer dv-575a via component, so i would hope it should be good quality?

15. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Look, it's no good asking me whether or not you will find the image quality acceptable. I have no idea what you regard as acceptable. :) Organise yourself a demonstration somewhere and base your purchasing decision on that. You'd be daft to spend £5000 on a television without checking to see if you think it looks good! :cool:

Oh, and yes, Sky+ is standard definition.

16. paulduckworth

paulduckworth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the main reasons that I have a GD1 is the fact it has an external media box - as I have it wall mounted the cabling is much much simpler.

IMO it is an excellent screen (sound quality is excellent) and it is also fairly well future proofed. The only problem is that it is more expensive than other screens, but I'm glad I bought it as (fingers crossed) I won't be dissapointed when Sky HD comes out.

17. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just spied one of these Sharp 45" today. I went into a respected store here in Melbourne (Carlton Audio) to check out a series 40 Fujitsu. I thought I'd compare it to the Pio 50" I am/was planning to buy.

I didn't like the Fujitsu.

However, now I feel like I'm being sucked into the 'Dark Side of the Force": LCD. What a sweet screen. I do a bit of amateur photography and I take skin tones and lack of defects seriously. This screen was awsome.

I spent the rest of the day looking for a store with both a Pio505 and Sharp LC-45G1 to do a side by side comparison (not much work done today!). Here in Aus we have continuous broadcast HiDef demo channels which all of the stores demo the screens with, besides the usual Monsters Inc. One demo loops every 15min or so on Channel 7 and has a good variety of skiing action scenes, water, pretty women in water, flybys of mountians, buildings etc. Anyway I was able to hone in on some defects that the Pio 505 displayed, particularly slight mosquito noise and skin variations. Then I was able to watch the exact same broadcast on the Sharp. No mosquito errors although a slightly higher 'cartooning' of contrasty scenes which gave it a 3D effect. I liked the softness of the LCD against the harshness of the Plasma. Note that I think the Pio505 is the least harsh plasma on the market and also has the best skin tones.

Two things left to consider before I make a decision on which screen to buy: What's it like with the football which starts next week and how the hell could I justify that outrageous pricetag?

18. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Nearly everyone seems to think that the Sharp Aquos screens do a good job with high definition, it's their performance with an SD signal that is open to question.

You're the only person on this forum so far who hasn't raved about the 50" Fujitsu 40-series plasma. :)

19. patrik_f

patrik_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Pete!
    Do you know what contrast ratio the 45" Sharp can produce?
    Personally I would not sink major money into an LCD at this stage, but wait until reproduction of black is blacker than it is today! (I have a Tosh 32WL48 for now.)
    Cool with HD in Australia! Why is UK always so behind?
    Regards

20. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, I thought the Sharp Blacks were pretty good. Now I'm not sure how relevant this demo at Carlton Audio was, but the sales rep switched off the sharp and the plasma screen next to it. He said, "see there, that's why the LCD has blacker blacks" and yes, the Sharp was completely black when off, whereas the Plasma (don't know which one, a Marantz I think) was the usual TV screen dark grey. His point being obviously, that the LCD (in this case) has as darker starting point.

I'll have to check a bit closer while the screens are on.

P.

21. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, its 800:1 contrast ratio.

22. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the HD vs SD front, my favourite broadcast channel, ABC (similar to your BBC) upscales all SD to HD for the digital broadcasts. This channel looked great even though the original material was SD. Our 3 commercial channels (you did read that right, we have only 3 other channels and only 1 other Govt channel) broadcast a bit of night tele in HD but not much else. Sports is widescreen but generally not HD. These look OK in digital on the LCD.

DVD didn't look that great on the LCD, but I was in a chain store then rather than at Calton Audio which is a top end hi-fi store, so when I asked clerk-de-jour if the DVD was progressive scan, he looked at me blankly. I suspect not.

In summary, I purposely looked at digital SD broadcast and I was very happy with what I saw thus far. My idea was to assess on the lowest common denominator and assume that everything will improve from there.

On the 50" Fujitsu, I saw no real obvious improvement over the Pio505 and I would like a media box so I can minimise passing cables through plaster to the wall mounted unit. The Pio505 fits the bill well as does the Sharp 45 in this regard.

Cheers
    P.

Stella's finished, time for bed.

23. patrik_f

patrik_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

When OFF? :eek:

With LCD, when ON you will not get the same black as when it is turned off! That is because the LCD tries to block light passing from a constant strength light source behind the LCD panel. This blocking is less than perfect.

I guess you just saw reflected ambient light in the room, which will look very different on different types of screens. All this will change though when you have a darker viewing environment. Also, a glass fronted screen may look darker, but can reflect point light sources in a mirror fashion, so may in practice be less usable in a real world scenario!

Finally, in a fairly bright environment you won't be able to assess how black black looks. So if you plan to use a "theater like" environment for viewing you probably should test in the same type of ligh!

24. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I thought this was some clever (or not) technical bamboozal. However I went back today and I must say I'm still impressed with the screen. I saw it with a Denon DVD at both 525p and 720p (as up-scaled by the Denon I believe). Also watched SD and HD digital again which were OK and great respectively. As you suggest, I need to see it in optimal viewing conditions. I'll bring in Digital Video Essentials next time to Carlton Audio. At least I'll be able to see how it scales the greys.

They had a DVA player connected initially. Apparently DVA is the Chinese DVD standard. This player was supplied by Sharp to show off the screen. It certainly looked like it output hi res. A very very impressive demo DVD. Pretty Japanese women too.....

25. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What price do you guys in the UK see the 45" for? Here (Aus) they list at about $13000 which is 5400pounds (I just noticed they don't have the pound symbol on keyboards anymore, the empire is crumbling :rolleyes: ) I'll set the wife onto them and she be able to talk them down to at least to $12000 or so. She's one tough negotiator ;)

Peter

26. jafxp

jafxp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It goes for about £4999 here (can be found slighty cheaper from various online retailers) Was thinking of this screen myself, lot of money though. Especially when new range of philips lcd's and new panasonic hd plasmas are just round the corner.

27. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.

Spent 40 min running DVE disk twice through on the Sharp LC-45G1. Store was open Good Friday and basically only one other customer in so I got terrific attention from the owner. I'm still 100% impressed with the screen. Awesome colours, incredible resolution, no artifacts. Only anomally I picked up on was very last page of last test sequence of DVE (the Girl with the colour chart) seemed grainy. All previous tests didn't. I'll check it out on CRT tonight if my P.O.S#@$ tv will verify that its the disk.

I'm getting close to buying one......

28. Wags

Wags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dr Pete,

I know Carlton AV pretty well. Are you dealing with Rab? He is a good bloke. I bought my Arcam equipment from him.

I am very tempted by the 45" Sharp. When I was there, it was hopoked up to a multi-media centre. Did you see the scene shot in the Blue Mosque? I thought that was incredible.

How did you go with the test on your old TV?

The one thing was wondering about was how close you could sit to it. There used to be a rule that closest distance (ft) was equal to the height of the screen (in). On this screen this would put you further away than I have in my front room. Any thoughts?

Initially I would be driving the screen with a HD digital TV box and prog scan from an Arcam DV27. I'm looking for the Bluray / HD-DVD issue to be settled and for hardware & software to be released.

Regards,

29. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Actually £4999 is a reasonable online price. They're £6500 on the high street.

30. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Mark

Yeah Carlton Audio is very good. I've been dealing with everyone there as I been in a few times, but lately with the owner who seems to be a great guy (even though he's a Pom ;) ). I bought my Marantz 8200, a Kurlo 450W Sub (Aussie) and a full set of Monitor Audio Silver Series speakers (UK) from them. Awesome. Which is why I'm on a UK forum. These Brits know their sh#@ ;)

On my old TV, yes, DVE looked a tad grainy on the last scene so I appreciate that with the added detail the 45" shows up that grain. This is from 3' away mind!

I'm looking at being 10-11 feet from the screen. I was tempted by the 50" pioneer but it probably would have been a bit big even though I want the cinema feel for DVDs. I think the 45" Sharp would be just perfect. I reckon anything over 8' should be fine for that screen provided the source is good.

Cheers

P