1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC45GD1E for €5000

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by hughesy, Sep 2, 2005.

1. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A friend of mine is looking to get a large screen LCD. Her local Flor Griffin store in Cork has told her that she can have the dislay model for €5000.

Do you think this is worth the money or would you recommend the Philips 42" or the Samsung 40 instead? (which are both stell about €2000)

Cheers :cool:

2. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    C'mon....... Someone must have an opinion on this!!!!

3. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Please!!!

4. thelawnet

thelawnet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    seems like a good price relative to what else is out there. Seems like a waste of money to me though. 3,000 for 3 inches hmm.

just buy a plasma now and replace it with an lcd when they are cheaper :)

5. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Neither of the other 2 panels are native 1920x1080 ones - so the Sharp is better from that point of view. Thyere'll be no scaling need to be done if it receives a 1080i signal.
    More "true" HD panels (as some like to refer to them as) are coming next year in 37" + sizes. If she's making a one-off purchase for the next 5 years or more, then I'd suggest she holds tight (as hard as that may be) and she'll reap the rewards next year with reduced pricing.
    If she's not the patient type when she gets an idea in her head, then the extra spent on the Sharp would be definitely well spent, unless she really wants something bigger still, in which case, buy the Samsung and look forward to the 65" Sharp to come down in price in 2-3 years after it releases next year (all being well) sometime.

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    The LC45GD1E apparently looks very good when fed a high-definition signal. However, it looks extremely mediocre when fed an interlaced, standard-definition picture. To my mind, even at 5000 euros, it is overpriced, as you'd need an external scaler/deinterlacer to make it watchable with a normal TV signal. Even if you can afford an external scaler, there are a number of niggles: you can't feed it a 1920x1080 native signal unless you bypass the media box, and even then only at 60Hz, not 50.

7. ariomanus

ariomanus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @NicolasB:

Are you sure that the LC45GD1E can only accept 1080p60 if you bypass the media box? Someone from Sharp at the German fair IFA said to me last weekend that it can accept 1080p50 and 1080p60 with this workaround. But he could have been wrong. Whats the source of your information?

8. ariomanus

ariomanus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @hughesy:

The Philips 42PF9830 (42", also 1920 by 1080) is expected to be shipped within the next month. The price of this model will be between 4400 and 5000 EUR. The Philips has a much better picture with SD signals because of Philips Pixel Plus 2 technology. The downside is, it will probably not accept 1080p and it's 3" smaller. Someone from Philips at the IFA fair in Berlin said: Maybe there is a software upgrade foir 1080p later, but he didn't know when this will be released and I don't know whether you can rely on this sw upgrade. More infos on the Philips see the threat "Latest Spec Philips 9830" in this forum