1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC45G1XSYS or Fujitsu P50XHA40

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by alpina, May 16, 2005.

1. alpina

alpina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Please help me choose :)

Got the LC26G3X in the bedroom and the Fujitsu P42XHA30 in the living room - both look absolutely awesome with sharp looking sharper which i would expect given its smaller size anyway. Time to replace the Fujitsu and now choosing between the sharp and new Fujitsu.

I have ordered a new receiver which has hdmi output which is a big plus for the fujitsu as i dont believe the sharp has hdmi inputs. whats the cable length on the sharp from tv to media box and if less than 5mts do sharp sell a longer one?

I know this is an lcd group but any assistance would be appreciated :)

Thanks again,

Julie

2. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Julie
    Both of these screens are very good. I think you'd be happy with either. I was very tempted by the Fujitsu 50". I've seen a post that the new Sharps are out in Sept.

Now here's my humble opinion; I'm pretty happy with the Sharp 45"LCD. There were a few deciding factors for me that may not be relevant to you.
    1) I wanted the highest def screen out there. The 45" has 2 million pixels. That's about twice the Fujitsu.
    2) I wanted a separate controller unit as I've wall mounted the screen and the cabling is much easier. Fujitsu doesn't have this.
    3) I could justify LCD as a computer screen for tax purposes as I'm a consulting software engineer and scientist. I wouldn't use the plasma much as a computer screen as I'd be worried about burn in. Big plus here on the tax front! Thus for me, LCD was way cheaper.
    4) I was worried about burn in, buzzing and heat output by the screen. I don't think Fujistsu is at all bad in this respect but LCDs are better.
    5) I like the concept of LCD. It never wears out. Plasma do.
    6) The picture on the LCD is stunning with good inputs. Saw Stars Wars Episode II last night in High Def (1080i) broadcast digitial TV. Quite impressive. DVD look great even with my cheapie pioneer 676.
    7) I was worried that 50" would be just too big fo my living room viewed from 11' (3.1m). 45" was just right.
    8) Even theough the Sharp screen is fairly large, it doesn't dominate the room as some Plasmas might. Check out how big the surrounding plastic (frame) is on each screen. The Sharp is nice and narrow, while some, such as the Pioneer, are very wide. This makes the entire unit huge while not gaining any extra view area.

Now the down side:
    1) Aussie Sharp 45" don't have HDMI, only DVI and then only 1 of them. Also have only 1 component input. Lots of useless Scart though. Scart is not used much in Aus. Why didn't they give up the US model? I think the UK unit is the same as that here.
    2) Its taken a lot of fiddling around with colour, contrast etc to get the picture quality pretty good. Its terrible out of the box! I'm pretty sure the Fujitsu would be better, at least initially. After that, I can't tell you.
    3) The LCD backlight, at certain levels, interferes with IR receivers. My amp won't respond at certain levels of LCD backlight as its IR input is confused by the IR output of the screen. This took me quite a while to work out. It only happens at night.
    4) I'm a little dissappointed with the Black level but mostly notice it when the screen is dark in a dark room. I think Plasma would be better at this. Contrast and brightness are really good though. For day viewing the LCD is great. Ours is in bright room. For night I have screen mode with the backlight way down to improve the Black levels. However, see 3) above!
    5) The remote is pretty average. No direct selection of inputs as you must go though a menu system. While its User Friendly I can't use my progammable remote as you always need variations of up-down and across buttons to select what you want. This annoys me at the moment but I'm trying to find a solution.

Peter

3. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I'd say Australia got the European model because it's a PAL territory and the media box needs to be able to cope with 50Hz signals.

From Sharp's point of view it probably wasn't worth the expense of manufacturing a third model for a relatively small market.

I've got agree that more than one digital input would be nice. How are you meant to plug in the upscaling DVD player, HD set top box, HD-DVD player, Xbox360, PS3 and Nintendo revolution into one DVI socket ?

Nightmare !

4. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The controller cable and the power cable are only 3m long. Not very long for going through a wall. It was only JUST long enough for my installation. It was very tight. You can buy a 10m controller cable form Sharp but its not cheap apparently. As for HDMI, I was keen on the idea too but DVI is just as good for video quality. They are 100% compatible for video hence the simple plug adapters you can buy. HDMI also transports the audio which I don't need as I'm sending sound to my surround system via optical. Besides, I don't have any HDMI gear.

As for having only 1 DVI, I initially was a bit peeved, but I've resigned myself to the fact that within the life of the unit most of my (future) components will either be DVI or HDMI. Thus I'd need a switch no matter which screen I bought. For a few hundred bucks you can get a Gefen 4 to 1 switch with remote which is what I'll buy when necessary. In the near future I may buy an IR to RS232 controller as mentioned in my other post. I've tested switching the screen inputs and modes with my PC and it works well. Thus that unit I've found in the US should fix my input selection problem. As a bonus the RS232 commands also can set other screen modes that are also only available via menus with the remote. My idea is that I want to be able to select DVD on my programmable remote and that one button sets up the screen Input (Input3 on component), the screen mode (Wide vs 16:9 etc) and the picture settings (Movie, Standard etc) as well as the Amp all in one swoop. At the moment, each one of those screen settings is on some %$&^#&@ menu which I find is the most annoying thing about the whole screen!

Other than that, its a very impressive bit of kit.

Peter

5. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Dr. Pete, what's the picture quality like with bog standard off the air PAL ?

I'm seriously looking at this display but currently reckon that an extra grand and a half may have to be found for a scaler to go with it.

Also, have you tried getting 1080p into the display by bypassing the media box like some of our Yankie cousins have done over at the AVS forums?

I'd be interested to know if it can take 1080p at 50Hz as well as 60Hz.

6. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well actually, its not as bad as I thought with bog standard off air TV. Not great mind, but OK. If you have broadcast digital TV there, then that's the way to go. We have broadcast HiDef here for some shows (6pm-10:30pm generally) and a lot of standard def for the rest. The digital set top box produces a better picture than the internal tuner. I can only put it down to the digital signal.

Having said that, both the missus and I remarked how good the MotoGP I video-taped looked considering Standard Def and taping. That's as analog as it gets.

I haven't tried 1080p as yet as I have nothing that will do it! All of my PCs here have mediocre graphics cards. However my workstation at my other office would do it.....I'd be happy to run the PS3 at 1080i when it comes out.

I'd reckon it would take 1080p only at 60hz at a guess.

Peter

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I thought LCD tvs were progressive by their nature. If the Sharp set has 1080 lines, why can't it display 1080p in either 50/60hz? :confused:

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    rob20 the panel its self may run at 75Hz or similar and the chips in the media box may not be able to convert a 1080p signal it may just be a firmware upgrade i would try emailing sharp for the definitive answer (try shapr USA and Head office in Japan as UK technical may not know