Sharp LC37XD1E or Sony KDL-40W2000

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by jcoles7, Dec 24, 2006.

1. jcoles7

jcoles7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi all,

I had my mind set on the Sharp and have found it on the internet for £1200 ish with 3 year warranty. I then went to Costco to find the Sony at just over £1000 with a 3 year warranty and the sharp was £1300 with 3 year warranty. I like the idea of buying from a local shop as you can return easily if problems occur. Also Costcos return policy is second to none.

Please give me some advise on how to choose.

Also I notice the Sharp mentions tilt and swivel stand in its specs but it looks like a fixed stand to me.

Cheers Jason

2. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    Where are you ? the sharp is £999 at empire direct (the 42" version is £1099). If you are close to one of their collection places it'd save you a load of cash.
    I know where you are coming from with buying locally but I reckon the risk is worthing taking for £300 +
    My local currys has the 42" for £1900, so its a no brainer to order online and save £800.

3. neeraj

neeraj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go with 40W2000 although I hear there are backlight issues it will still be a better choice than Sharp as I saw juddering on Sharp which was quite obvious in the shop imho. All said both are excellent choice atm.

Cheers,
    N

4. Tahiti

Tahiti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Costco have a 40W2000 at Costco for just over £1000????? Seriously?

There are a few people on here who have paid double that recently. I'd snap it up at that price (paid quite a bit more for mine, and am awaiting it to be set up just now).

5. scotw

scotw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm having the same dilemma :rolleyes: Seems some Sonys have a backlight issue, but people who don't have the issue seem to love the set. Some of the Sharps have banding problems (but not the 37"?) so it seems to be a hit or miss.

Personally I think I'm going for the Sony, but either way Im buying from Costco, that way if there is any issues with the set, I'll just take it back and swap it until I get a good one. I was in Costco yesterday and they had the W2000 for £1500 which is a good price, you sure that your one had it for £1000 and it wasn't an S2000? If its available for £1000 I'll buy it now !

6. LBP.Nxe

LBP.Nxe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    But aren't those prices for a 1 year only warranty?

7. csx1

csx1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I spent nearly an hour looking in Comet yesterday
    Firstly I compared to 40W2000 and 40V2000.. they were next to each other playing same HD feed so ideal. Basically the PQ was the same.. Once u know which is the 1080 screen you can just make out the very fractionally better only visible when both sets side by side and very very minimal. As far as colurs go the 40W very very slightly better. The case to me on the 40V2000 is better styled, athough i dont like the silver stand.. Basically ive ruled out the 40W as the image benefits Vs cost is pretty much none.

I looked hard at the Toshibas cause they were in an ideal price bracket for me (37WLT68 and 37WLT66) I wanted the newer 68 because from pics on the web I thought it was better styled.. However in the flesh I just dont like the styling. The PQ on the 37WLT68 was excellent although a bit too sharp (i imagine you could soften this in the menus) Anyway ive riuled Tosh out on the styling (crazy I know but styling important to me)..

The best lookin TV there I believe was the Sharp XD1.. look lovely.. However I just cant bring myself to buying a sharp (waiting for flames). On top of that, they only had the 42 incher and I wanted to see the 37.

Anyway after my visit I managed to hone my list in a bit.
    Sony 40V2000 and keep in budget
    Rule out Tosh
    Rule out Sharp
    Investigate the Samsung N series

All options are still open :)
    But my trip showed me theres nothing between the two Sony's and the Toshibas styling wasnt to my liking.

I did notice the poor connectivity of the 40V2000 (1 hdmi) and that both Sonys (probably typical of all LCD's) judder when panning large data.
    Oh the philips looked a dream but poor viewing angle and expensive

On a general note and coming from a 32" 100HZ widescreen I think the LCD technology isnt quite there yet.. For this reason im not gonna pull out all the stops and spend a fortune... Keep it to £1200 max cause thats resonable for a TV set gets some warrenty and upgrade in 5yrs max

Oh and if you buy 40" I believe u need to have SkyHD unless your viewing it from across the road.. 32 and possible 37 ure OK on SD

Carlo

8. neeraj

neeraj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Carlo,

I would say dont rule out Tosh just for styling. In my view it has the lowest picture noise when viewed in shop. I was viewing a 47 inch WLT66 from 1 ft and could not see any noise !! In the long run when HD sources are a plenty this will certainly be a advantage.

Cheers,
    N

9. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    I went for the sony in the end. partly because of the 1080p support over vga for the 360 and the reviews were superb. I have no backlight issues and i am very happy with it, it's awesome.

10. BYF

BYF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    the sharp 37inch for £999 and 42inch for £1099 is amazing value, and offers some excellent blacks, good motion and great SD and HD picture quality and 1080p.

the sony at £1500-£1600 is alot more money IMO for little or nothing extra.

11. jcoles7

jcoles7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi all,

Been back to Costco and I got the price wrong think they had a price in the wrong place. it was about 1500

So Sharp it is from empiredirect

Cheers Jason