1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sharp lc37ga6e vs lc37gd7e difference?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by thomasb, Oct 24, 2005.

1. thomasb

thomasb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    found the ga6e for £1400 and the gd7e for £1800 so what more do you get for the money? :confused:
    loved the pq on the ga6e actually went to see the tosh 37wlt58 but the sharp next to it blew it away!

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    GD7 has the Titanium finish rather than Silver. There's a few other tweaks or options included with the higher priced model. If you go to Sharp's site, you can probably check the specs of each one, and see what the differences are.
    Had a GD1 a while back to "play" with for a few weeks - loved it! Cracking set, so looking forward to having another play with the GA6 and P50 series.
    Ultimately, new ones out in Japan already - 37-65", all full HD resolution (1920x1080) and priced very reasonably!!
    Next spring is going to be an interesting time I reckon. Sky+ HD in Feb/Mar - some new sets from certain manufacturers lined up for release, to coincide no doubt.

3. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    The response time of the GD7E is 12ms, whereas the response time of the GA6E is 16ms. Don't compare this with other manufacturers though, it uses a different kind of panel from anyone else, and as such, their "16ms" will be faster than another's "16ms"

I believe it has a bit more advanced processing (looks like it'll do 2:2 pulldown / 3:2 pulldown from the mention of "de-juddering" on the website) and as has been mentioned, it has a nicer finish.

pjskel; not wanting to take over the topic, but why did you return the GD1? (and where are you getting these to "play" with?) The GD7E seems to be cut down a bit from the GD1 in many aspects (the majority do not affect picture quality though; it's things like not being able to remove the speakers anymore, and not being able to swivel/tilt the stand) and I've been tempted by the GD1, even though it uses an older panel. (that's the only thing putting me off getting one)

4. thomasb

thomasb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

not too bothered about colour more about the 400 quid,been on the sharp site but not much spec given on gd7.also cant find on any spec sheets about a hdmi inpt so how is it high def and how would i connect a hd dvd player(may be a stupid question if so sorry)

does what your saying about the new model suggest it would be better waiting another six mounths maybe?

5. mr-monday

mr-monday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I saw the GA6 and 7 right next to each other tonight on Tottenham Court Road in London. The "titanium" finish is just a darker colour plastic as far as I could tell!

The picture quality (from a digital feed) looked identical. Same goes for the Panny 500 and 52.

6. thomasb

thomasb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sound and vision online have put the ga6 as being hd compliant and the gd7 as being hd ready?

7. mr-monday

mr-monday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Nah, they are both full hi def panels.

8. thomasb

thomasb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks ,i know final choice is mine however if it was your money what would it be ?

9. mr-monday

mr-monday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    After seeing them both, I'd get the GA6. The GA7 is a lot more expensive considering the main benefit is in-built freeview. I think there's some extra anti-judder processing as well, but I'm not sure how much difference it actually makes. I couldn't see any.

Try and see them in the flesh next to each other if you can.

10. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Do a little reviewing for my sins for an online site.
    Go with the newer panels - as much as I loved the GD1, football broadcasts on ITV2 showed the grass as mush while scanning. Sharply in focus when it stopped panning, so if you can live with that, then fine. Personally, knowing there's a better panel, I'd opt for that.
    Although, I'm surprised to hear the GD7 doesn't tilt or swivel. Are you sure?

11. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124

HD can be done digitally or analoguously via HDMI/DVI-HDCP or Component respectively.
    As for the waiting - that's your call. Knowing that Sky+ HD starts in Feb/Mar 2006, then some, if not all manufacturers will likely release some of the full resolution HD 1920x1080 panels to coincide.
    You might pick up a better TV then, or the one you fancy now, for a good bit less as a result.
    All it means is that if you input a 1080 signal, no scaling will be needed. A 720 signal will be scaled up to match the native resolution of the panel, with little or no degradation of the image.
    Currently, any panel able to accept a 1080 signal, will lose some info so as to display on a 768 panel.
    The cheaper ones will simply halve the lines to 540 and scale those up to 768. Better ones will use more complicated maths to make the image look it's best on a lower resolution panel.

12. thomasb

thomasb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the feedback and advice,keep you posted to what i choose. :thumbsup:

13. thomasb

thomasb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just ordered a sharp 32ga6 for £850 after looking at my options decided 32" is still bigger than my crt and for this money i can always upgrade next year and put this in another room. :thumbsup:

14. ARE999

ARE999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been reviewing user comments and being new to the AV world I took the plunge on Tuesday and purchased the Sharp LC32GD7E with Denon AVR 1906 and Denon DVD -1920 with KEP 2005.2 speakers, all recommended by my local Sevenoaks Sound and Vision store. I am interested in getting some feedback on what I have purchased. I am geering myself up to be HD ready and hopefully the kit I have purchased should enable me to do this.

15. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Am I correct in thinking the minimum size for 1080p is 37".

16. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    There's no reason for it to be, but I imagine the first models with panels of that resolution will be larger sized ones. After a while, I guess 32" ones will come through, but the price due to more pixels in a smaller area may preclude full HD resoution panels being as cheap as the standard panels are now.
    I think there's also more of a push to get 45"+ panel production going, so again, manufacturers' focus will be to that end.
    Nothing's been written in stone - more just an educated guess based on business economics sense. It's probably easier and cheaper to make larger panels with the larger pixels and interspacing with fewer rejects than a highly densely populated smaller panel for whatever reason.

17. thomasb

thomasb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    wow thats pretty much exactly the system iam looking at getting xcept ive ordered the 32ga6 lcd,have you set it all up yet and what do you think?