1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC37GA5E + Lumagen Vision DVI?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by DrJon, Feb 4, 2005.

1. DrJon

DrJon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I'm a new user looking to buy a 37" screen (haven't got room for anything bigger) that will serve a Sky box, progressive scan DVD and VHS player. It will also have to be compatible with Sky's HD service when it arrives. It will need to have a decent quality inbuilt sound system, as I don't really have room for free-standing speakers.

Having read around, the Sharp LC37GA5E seems to fit the bill for the DVD and HD performance and certainly has good sound. Like most LCDs, I gather it falls a bit short on the RGB inputs, but I'd be willing to buy a scaler, if that would bring it up to speed.

What I'd like to know is, for the cost of this screen + scaler (around £3,000) could I buy a better package? Should I be looking at a small plasma? Is there a better LCD to go for? Should I wait for a few months until there are more HD-enabled screens around? I'd really value your opinions.

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi,
    For SKY HD you a DVI input with HDCP or a HDMI input. The GA5E has neither of these. I have the 37GA4E and that is OK. You should look at the 37GA4E or 37GA3E depending on where you want the speakers ( side or bottom ). The GA5E is a lower functionality version of these screens and should be cheaper ( not always true! ). If you get a scaler then as long as it has DVI-HDCP or HDMI you will be OK, BUT it will still output DVI-HDCP or HDMI. So, the GA5E is not the answer.
    There are quite a few screens that have what you need, see the HDTV thread.

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The PQ on VHS might struggle with a Sharp since at best it's composite. Take a look at Philips 9986 or 9976 for a cheapers version with Pixel Plus 1.