1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC37AD1E LCD - HDTV/Hi-res capability

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by brotherbear, Aug 25, 2004.

1. brotherbear

brotherbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've posted about this set before but I'm after some definite info if anyone out there can help me at all.

Firstly, here is the website for this set:

http://www.sharp.co.uk/aquos_tv/range/products/product.asp?id=26

I need to know:

1. Does this set support HDTV and Hi-res images? There is no info in the specification relating to this. Does it support 720p and 1080i? Is there a phone number for Sharp and is there a spec document for this set?

2. Will I really notice any difference between component progressive scan and HDMI/DVI? On sets so far I can't see any difference at all. This set doesn't have HDMI/DVI and I'm a little worried about not having this feature regarding future proofing etc.

3. HDMI seems a waste of time relating to audio. Who needs multi-channel digital audio to a two-channel TV set? All the audio that matters to me is that going to my amp.

It is very difficult being faced with all these lovely TV's and not knowing enough about the fine details.

I hope there is some wonderful person out there who can help me.

Thanks.

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi,

Not very helpful with their info, are they? I would suspect the component input would support current HD signals, but HD component outputs may not be fitted to future HD sat boxes or Blu-ray/HD DVD players. As the Sharp doesn't appear to have HDMI or DVI-HDCP, it could become a problem later. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. brotherbear

brotherbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see there are a few people on here concerned about the whole HDMI/DVI Vs component thing. It really is impossible to know what to do. My own thought is that if they do make HD sky boxes and HD DVD players without component outputs it's gonna severely limit the potential market. Most people I know haven't even heard of component let alone HDMI/DVI. They are only just coming to terms with RGB scart. Admittedly I am talking of people who are not so 'clued up' on this kind of thing but this probably represents 99% of the population? These forums are very popular but it's a very small minority who are up on the latest stuff. People have TV's with component and when HD is released these will still be relatively new sets. Are all these people gonna trade them in for new ones? I doubt it.

Anyway, can anyone answer my questions posted originally?

Ta.