1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC37 P50E - Advice for optimun set up?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by daveb73, Oct 27, 2005.

1. daveb73

daveb73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Just purchased the above after a brief and quite disastrous flirtation with a Philips 7520 plasma. Not too bothered about hdtv for a coupe of years or so, so was advised by many that the new p50 screens were best buy for my needs (sport via sky, dvd & console gaming).

At £1160 I have to say I'm delighted with results so far, but I've simply taken it out of the box, plugged me periphs in and turned on. So not being of a hugely technical disposition, I wondered how owners of the same set have managed to achieve optimum performance? Also, is it worth investing £££ in a decent scart lead and connections? Some say yes, others no, wondered what peoples thoughts were here?

Any help and advice much appreciated! :smashin:

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    As you're a new member I'll let you off but you should really do a search as there are already a number of threads with this information.

My current settings for the LC37P50E with Sky+ and DVD both connected via Scart with RGB enabled are:

Daytime Viewing -
    Backlight: -4 (OPC On)
    Contrast: +27
    Brighness: +12
    Colour: -8
    Tint: 0
    Sharpness: 0
    Advanced Settings left as default
    Colour Temp: Middle
    I/P Setting: Progressive
    DNR: Off
    Quickshoot: On

This is OK for daytime viewing but at nightime with normal living room lighting I turn OPC Off and revert to my manual backlight setting as OPC will set it too dark. The only difference I use for DVD is I have the backlight set to -6 as I usually watch films in near darkness and Surround Sound On.

3. Jim Barry

Jim Barry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am finding the centre positions for brightness and contrast quite reasonable. The default colour saturation is definitely a bit high and I have this turned down to -5 or so. I have completely given up on OPC as it seems unable to stabilise itself.

For TV, I have film mode turned off and I/P mode set to interlaced. This results in a smooth picture with no extra in-set sharpening (as far as I can tell). However, interlace "jaggies" are evident, despite the fact that this TV is supposed to eliminate such effects by virtue of the 1:1 correspondence between scan lines and pixel rows. The "progressive" setting results in a steadier still image but adds a sharpening effect that spoils the picture slightly.

For DVD, I am experimenting with the Film Mode option. It appears to do a pretty good job of removing motion artifacts from film based material. Unfortunately, it introduces the same sharpening effect as the progressive I/P mode. Also, the film mode detection seems to be rather flaky. With the I/P Mode set to interlaced, I can see the picture getting repeatedly sharper then fuzzier as the film mode detection kicks in and out (try playing a 2.35:1 widescreen movie and keep an eye on the top and bottom edges of the letterboxed picture). Consequently, it is necessary to keep the I/P Mode set to progressive to disguise this effect.

I have the sharpness control set to -9. Despite my utter hatred of sharpening filters, I do not use the -10 setting as it actually appears to introduce a softening filter, as opposed to just disabling the sharpening filter.

Regarding cables, it's best to use a decent quality SCART lead but there's no need to spend silly money. The entry level XFT02 IXOS cable can be had for under £15 or you could spend a bit more and get the XHT601. Of course the digital HDMI connector will give the best result.

4. daveb73

daveb73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apols, must have missed the search facility yesterday, though thanks very much for the help guys.

I'll be having a good play with the cables just as soon as this right arm's out of plaster...