Sharp LC32P50e Worth every Penny

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Marky1973, Mar 20, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Marky1973

Marky1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    Well after all my questions about Panasonic TVs I went out to buy one and saw the Sharp running an HDMI feed beside the LXD52 and the JVC DS6 and was very impressed. Decided to go with the Sharp in the end as I am not bothered yet about HDTV and will probably update again by the time it all takes off.....and because it was only 699 in Richer Sounds. I use the telly for SKY and DVDs so the reviews of the Sharp also attracted my to it's screen and PAL optimisation.

Well I got it last Thursday and have been fiddling about with it over the weekend. I have to say I am very impressed. Took a few tweeks to get the picture to how I like it (also found it was useful to put the contrast in SKY on high) but it now looks great. Watched PLANET EARTH last night and the picture was blinding.......DVDs are stunning......House of Flying Daggers looked amazing last night and teamed with a half decent surround system was more than adequate for my needs.

Blacks are not always perfect, with fine detail sometimes being missed, and the picture quality does depend on the channel you are watching - however, for most of the time the picture is great.

So basically, if you are thinking about this set and you are not too worried about jumping on the HD bandwagon just yet, you could do a lot worse than this set. Very happy with it......:D

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Some of us have been saying this for the last 6 months :)

3. Rizza

Rizza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    I've also seen it running HD alonside other HD ready sets and saw no difference, so you don't even have to upgrade when you decide to subscribe to HD. It's a bold clever TV from Sharp, and a blinding deal at that price.

Rizza

4. Mapster_UK

Mapster_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am a recent convert, picking up the P55 last week :)

Great TV!

5. Marky1973

Marky1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    Certainly did look good on the HDMI feed, and the option is there in the future.....I couldn't tell the difference, although I am sure people with a better eye could.....but I really just wanted to add to the praise for this set and to encourage people to buy it if they are considering it......people like me who were convinced they needed to spend a small fortune on the best set they can find, when they just need something for Sky and DVDs.....

And the money I saved let me go out and buy a new DVD recorder, amp and speakers!!:D

6. stammie

stammie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've had mine 3 weeks now and am still very pleased with it.
    as I stated in another thread, sd pictures from telewests tvdrive through the hdmi connection are better than anything I've seen on a crt tv,
    and although not true hd, the hd pictures through the same set up are stunningly good.
    Dvd's upscaled to 720p with my modded xbox also look damn good, they have a 3d quality I wasn't expecting.
    It took me 3 months of research and procrastination to decide on which tv to buy and I'm now sure the Sharp 32p50 I bought was the best choice I could've made within my budget.
    When hd is common place I may consider upgrading if I can see a vast improvement in picture quality, but for the next few years the Sharp set will serve me well.

7. Porcelain Gods

Porcelain Gods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just picked up my xbox 360 at the weekend and have to agree it looks stunning on my p50 at 720p. I am also a telewest customer and have been holding off from ordering tvdrive as I wasn't sure what it would look like on the p50. Glad to hear it also looks great, I shall get my order for tvdrive in this week.

Did you experience any of the problems with the picture being offset when connecting your tvdrive via hdmi?

8. stammie

stammie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The picture is offset to the left but the p50e has a position control in the menu so that you can centre it.

I've just got through watching Sin City in high definition through teleport on this set, to me it was unbelievably good quality,
    I don't have a true high definition set to compare it to, but it was stunningly good on the Sharp, and has made my mind up to buy an hd dvd player when they become available.

9. Kit2005

Kit2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just hopped on the bandwagon m'self.

Bought LC26P50E for £550 from Amazon saturday afternoon, arrived monday morning!

Looks lovely. Smooth, subtle and rich colors, no motion problems. Even the sound is perfectly functional if you fiddle about with the EQ (less bass seems to get rid of the boxyness).

Interesting how people are reporting good results with DVDs upscaled to 720p, which matches my experience with my Oppo DVD player, which also has 540p output for NTSC DVDs. I think it's best to ignore the hype about the screen's unconventional resolution, and instead just look at is as a really good panel with quality processing.

10. Ryu

Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Does anyone know if Sharp will release an IDTV version of this set with the same 540 lines of resolution? It's the only thing stopping me from buying one!

11. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    The P70E series coming soon.