1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC32P50E or Sharp LC32GA6E

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by hermes, Sep 18, 2005.

1. hermes

hermes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw a Sharp LC32P50E and liked it till I started reading a bit about it and it's resolution etc, I then started to read about the Sharp LC32GA6E which to me seems like a far superior tv for a similar price, can anyone help me out please?

cheers

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Why do you think the GA6 is far superior to the P50, in what ways? As far as I can see they are two different models for two different applications.

3. hermes

hermes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a total noob when it comes to tv tech talk and saw that the P50 is specifically designed for PAL signals, to be honest I don't even really understand this but gather that it is the normal analogue tv ariel input they mean.

Secondly I read that the resolution is lower being 960 x 540, I understand resolution but it seems so much lower than that of the LC32GA6E at 1366 X 768 Pixels.

Lastly the LC32P50E is HD compliant and the other one is HD ready.

Just to let you know I have an NTL cable system and we don't really use the ariel as the reception is no good.

Any advice from you experts will be very gratefully acepted thanks.

All I want is a decent TV lol

cheers!

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Yes the resolution of the P50 is lower than the GA6 but it's desgined for a different purpose so it can't be judged as inferior. Also it has a lower response time of 12ms than the GA6s 16ms, although in reality this probably doesn't make a great deal of difference. Also, even though a lot of people are saying the GA6 is HD Ready I've not acutally seen a HDMI or DVI input listed for this model on the Sharp website, maybe someone can clarify this.

5. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Sharps uk website is rubbish, the GA6E does have HDMI and clearly states this on the brosure, instruction manual and plenty of other websites.

If you are looking at getting the most out of HD when it`s available next year, get the GA6E (be warned standard resolution material like NTL doesn`t look that amazing on these)

If you watch lots of Standard def stuff like now and aren`t to bother about HD next year and in the near future, get the P50.

All depends how much you want Hi def when It`s availble really.

6. hermes

hermes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys like I say I really don't a lot about LCD tv's and all this is made worse by the choice lol

7. hermes

hermes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So can someone explain about the resolution on the LC32P50E, is it really only 960x540 ?

8. mr-monday

mr-monday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Yes. The theory is that since std def signlas don't need to be upscaled to the native panel resolution, the quality will be much better.

When viewing high def it's simply downscaled (1080 / 2 = 540 720 / 1.333 = 540)

It's a bit like hi-fi - the less you mess around with the original signal, you get a higher quality output.

9. hermes

hermes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But why is this set so much cheaper than the LC32GA6E and why have they decided to do it?

10. Z-Trip

Z-Trip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The top and bottom of it is this...

If you are willing to spend £400+ on a Sky HD box and then probably £50+ per month for your viewing as early as next year and want to use a PC with the TV, go for the GA6.

If you watch terrestrial TV and DVD's and are happy with the quality for now and the immediate future and don't want a PC connected to it, go for the P50.

11. hermes

hermes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the very clear answer Z-Trip, I have made my mind up now lol

12. Z-Trip

Z-Trip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem. Please let us know how you get on. If we can help further let us know.

13. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    er...

If you are considering buying HD movie player in the next couple of years (bluray, that sort of thing), or a next generation console (xbox 360, PS3), then a HD ready set will really be of benefit.

You *Don't* have to spend £50 a month + £400 on sky to benefit from HD.

14. phlarris

phlarris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also looking at these 2 tvs, and have a question... I have the Sharp brochure, and it says that the LC32GA6E doesn't have a component input. Is this true?

Thanks

Phlarris

15. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have the brochure and it does say it has component input (EXT4), Page 7 of the brochure.

Attached Files:

16. phlarris

phlarris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. The shop that I was in today said that it didn't (which **really** surprised me).

Regards

Phlarris

17. dakara

dakara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to me that people sometimes get carried away in their search for the "perfect" picture, but I guess that I am more concerned with programme content,and would rather watch a decent programme with a "reasonable" picture, now.
    Since I have around five hundred hundred DVD's,with movies that I will watch many more times, I need a new TV that will continue to permit me to enjoy them, hence my choice of the 37P50.
    The only thing that is causing me some,is a thread that I saw somewhere on this forum, about "juddering", with a possible firmware update from Sharp,
    but I cannot seem to find it now.
    Is this correct? or was I just dreaming?
    Can anyone help me out here please, Dakara
    :lease:

18. dakara

dakara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I left out the word "concern"{causing me some concern} :oops:

19. Gordon D

Gordon D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  20. dakara

dakara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gordon D,
    I will be ordering a 37P50 online tomorrow. I have only seen the 32inch working instore, and despite,in a very close-up examination,having visibly less pixels than a similar specs Sony, it had a much better picture from typical viewing distances.
    Graham C.If you are out there anywhere.
    Did you get any further response from SHARP on the Software Update ?
    Since I live in France, I will obviously have to contact Sharp France on this if I do get this problem,but am most interested in learning how you get on.
    Since I neither play Games,nor have SKY,it may not affect me anyway.
    Dakara :lease:

21. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Unsure whether you will be ordering from France or over here, but it is pretty cheap at www.beyondtelevision.com

22. dakara

dakara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Monk,
    buying here,lowest price on internet,equivalent to 1,102 Pounds Sterling,including delivery. Should arrive early this week.
    I have never seen the 37" model, since TV stores very sparse in my area,but I like the specs. Good luck with your purchase.I hope that we like them as much as we expect.
    Dakara :clap:

23. jayss

jayss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dakara,
    I wouldn't worry about the pixel count if I were you. I've had the 37" for just over a week now,with the closest viewing position only about 4-5 feet away. Even at that distance you can't see the individual pixels. I've been looking for a flat screen TV for about 3 years now and I've demo'd sets from £1200-£6000. I don't care what anyone says, for SD sources this Sharp beats everything.

John.

24. dakara

dakara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right on JAYSS,
    sometimes you've just got to forget about all the experts and magazine reviews,and make up your own mind. Notwithstanding, I think that this is a great Forum, and one can learn a great deal from the members here.
    Thanks everybody, Dakara. :hiya:

25. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Have you tried (or seen) your set with a high def feed? I was wondering as it does have the HDMI slot so while you don't need it as such I am intrigued as to what high def material looks like on this set.

I saw a 32 inch in Dixons yesterday and it was lined up alongside several other 32 inch sets which were all HD sets.

The picture quality on all of them was very good. In fact it was much better than the usual noisy mush you usually see in a shop like Dixons or Currys I started to suspect they were all being fed a high def feed.

It was one of those Dixons rolling trailers that has adverts for Dixons and then clips of various films in which makes me think it can't really be high def despite the high quality.

This left me wondering if there was any milage in the Sharp idea of being designed for PAL as the other HD sets were doing a good job of what I assumed was a standard def feed. The only exception to this was the Samsung 32 inch that so many people seem to think it great. Peoples faces on that looked like they were made of wax!

Anyway back to the point. High def on a P series. I have noticed that many plasma sets have a resolution of 1024x768. Not a million pixels away from the 940 of the Sharp in the horizonal direction and I have seen high def stuff looking stunning on such sets.

So despite the lack of vertical resolution, I was wondering if one would see an improvement on a Sharp P50 if you fed it a high def source? Not as great as you would see feeding a 1024x768 plasma a HD source I know but if there was some improvement then that would be interesting.

The opposite question is this. Does a Sharp P50 make HD material look like SD?

Dave

26. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw a Sharp LC37P50E against a "hd ready" Sharp LC37GD1E, both running 1080i hi-def via component from a HVD player. Wow! Couldn't honestly tell any difference at normal viewing distance. In fact, I would say the P50 looked better, although this may have something to do with the settings on both sets. I have the LC37P50E, and am now even more happy with it :)

27. RobbySpurs

RobbySpurs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,874
    I have just ordered the 26" P50, as it seemed an incredible price for a very highly specced telly. Basically, I am moving soon, and my CRT has just gone on the blink. I wanted to wait before I got my HD telly until after the move, so got this Sharp which will be perfect as a stand in telly, and then a bedroom telly.

Will let you know my thoughts.

28. Gordon D

Gordon D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just had a phone call and my 32" P50 is due this Wednesday... I can't wait!!! :clap: :D

29. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I think I will get my Gran one of these as opposed to a the samsung set I was originally thinking about - she won't be getting sky or HD/bluray (she doesnt even have a dvd player yet...) so this looks good. Only downside I can see is no intergrated digital tuner.

30. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I was looking at a 32in P50 the other day in Audio T. They were not stocking the GA6 because they said the P50 has a significantly better picture at a lower price.

For the next couple of years I will be watching Telewest (now NTL) Cable TV and DVDs, so if the P50 has a better PQ than most other sets it may be the choice for a budget-end LCD. It would be interesting to compare some SD material on the P50 along-side the Panasonic 32LXD500 which has reputedly the best PQ of any LCD.