Sharp LC32P50E LCD- HD 'Compatible'?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by rgvyan, Mar 20, 2006.

1. rgvyan

rgvyan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just been looking at the Sharp LC32P50E after being quite impressed with the Aquos in a shop a while back.

From what I can see it appears to be stated as HD 'Compatible' rather than 'HD Ready'. What does this mean? It does have a HDMI socket and I'm planning on getting TVDrive in the not too distant future- is this worth a look or is it just pretending? :nono:

2. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has a Horizontal resloution of 540 lines only, so it will downscale any hi def image you send to it. It is supposedly a PAL omptimised TV, i.e. for SD broadcasts.

3. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you are planning on viewing HD material then forget it, although a great TV (and a great price) this will not do any HD (xbox 360, new HD DVD, etc)
    justice.
    If you are only planning SD then it is a great telly.
    azzo

4. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Whilst technically correct, this thread shows that for some there will be little difference if any when fed a HD signal. it has a HDMI and will accept all the HD signals.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318147

At 32 inches its questionable how much benefit you will see from a HD ready set over the Sharp running HD. Maybe worth going as see a few sets running HD yourself and deciding especially when you take into account how much better for SD the Sharp is and the fact that the majority of TV will be in SD for the next 5-10 years.

If though you want a set with the full pixels though then the SHarp is not for you.

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    Yep - the P50E is a 540 line panel. This is designed for 576i viewing (with 18 lines of overscan simulation top and bottom) without scaling. It will also display a 1080i picture as 540p - which is a simple case of treating 1080i as 540p.

As it doesn't have a vertical resolution of 720 lines or greater it can't be described as HD-Ready - though I believe it will display all of the HD Ready source formats, and has HDMI.

In reality - it may offer similar performance to cheap 720 and 768 line panels when fed a 1080i signal - as many cheap panels don't de-interlace 1080i to 1080p and scale to 720/768p, instead they treat 1080i as 540p and scale this, which delivers pretty near identical performance. However when fed 720p sources the 720/768 panels will outperform it.

As long as you realise you aren't getting full HD resolution then it is worth considering.
    However with many 720/768 panels you won't get full HD resolution from a 1080i signal (even vertically) if you depend on their poor quality internal de-interlacers and scalers.

6. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :mad: Whilst on this topic, I think that something has to be done about the 'HD compatible' logo. A lot of people, not technically minded are going to be duped by this. They will buy a set thinking it is HD Ready only to be disappointed. I think that this is cynical marketing by these companies. Some other brands are using the HD compatible moniker on sets that have the required resolution but no HDMI/DVI.:mad:

7. rgvyan

rgvyan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input.

I'm in the dilemma of whether to fork out for HD now or wait a while. My current box just went bang so need a new set pretty soon (the old 17" in the lounge just doesn't cut it!).

Thing is I can't quite afford the full £1000 on a set at the moment as I'm getting married :oops:

Maybe I have to settle for a cheaper one now- as you say HD won't be with us on a grand scale for a while yet anyway.

Thanks again

8. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    There will be a slim 32"
    HD crt tv made by Samsung to be released in May- cost- £ 350

9. stammie

stammie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well I've just watched Sin City in high definition via teleport on my LC-32P50E and the picture was simply stunning,
    far superior to any sd pictures I've seen on the set,
    the detail and clarity had to be seen to be believed.

I knew when I purchased this set it was a bit of a compromise but I've been more than pleasantly surprised just how good it is at both sd and hd.