Sharp lc32p50e and laptop?

K

krikker

Hi,

I just ordered a lc32p50e lcd and I am planning to hook it up with my computer. Even after reading a bunch of treads on this I am still confused. I have a laptop with a tv-out and a vga. The Sharp has hdmi and scart. What is the best way for me to connect the two? If I connect through vga will I also need a cable from my audio-out? Is the tv-out really that bad? Would it really be worth it buying a mini-pc with a dvi-exit?
:lease:
A lot of questions I know, but just want to make sure that I have everything ready when my new lcd arrives :)

/Krikker

This model is not designed for use with a PC. You can use the TV-out connection from your laptop but it will probably look a bit fuzzy. You will need to connect the audio separately.

It should be usable for video from a PC via HDMI, but due to the low resolution of the panel (which is what gives the fantastic quality with Sat/Cable/Freeview and DVDs) it will not be suited to using as a big monitor like some of the other LCDs out there.

Thanks, but the main reason for connecting the pc is to watch movies (homevideos, divx, etc) and maybe the ocasional picture slideshow. I understand that actually displaying windows will look fusy, but wouldn't movies and pictures be OK?

krikker said:
Thanks, but the main reason for connecting the pc is to watch movies (homevideos, divx, etc) and maybe the ocasional picture slideshow. I understand that actually displaying windows will look fusy, but wouldn't movies and pictures be OK?
Should be fine then, as long as you set your PC to output the right resolution over HDMI. (use a DVI > HDMI cable, and Powerstrip to add the resolution to your list if it isn't auto-detected)

:)
Thank you!..... but, as I said earlier my laptop does not have a dvi-exit (hence my problem). I have seen vga>dvi adaptors - should I use this combined with a dvi > hdmi cable or would the best thing just to do it all through the tv-out?

krikker said:
:)
Thank you!..... but, as I said earlier my laptop does not have a dvi-exit (hence my problem). I have seen vga>dvi adaptors - should I use this combined with a dvi > hdmi cable or would the best thing just to do it all through the tv-out?
Ah, sorry I was half-asleep there when replying.

I'm not sure if the HDMI spec is to accept analogue video or not; if it will, then a vga > dvi/hdmi adapter should work perfectly.

andrewfee said:
I'm not sure if the HDMI spec is to accept analogue video or not.

Not. HDMI is a digital interface (like DVI-D).

hmm... still confused. So there is no way of using the VGA-out with the lcd? If I am stuck with tv-out will the quality when playing divx be noticable worse?

Doesn't sound like the VGA out will work with this model.

TV-OUT will be a worse picture

if it's S-video, pretty bad

if it's composite (probably a yellow connector) Very bad.

Sorry, 'fraid that because the TV is designed with SD in mind they clearly didn't think connectivity was as important, you'll still be able to display pictures and movies on it, but they won't be "crisp", rather like connecting a digi camera to a good quality CRT, It's not bad, but not jaw dropping.

sorry

Would it make sense to upgrade to a grapichs-card with a dvi-exit?

hmmm

I do know of a PCMCIA graphics adaptor for a laptop which gives a DVI-D but it was rather expensive (around 200 quid)

For that sort of cash you'd be better of buying something like a roku mediabridge

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=119053

which is a lovely bit of kit

or maybe even an xbox360 (i have to keep mentioning this damn thing) which would give you photo/music replay in HD via component.

Mind you, as the resolution of your screen is only 576 lines vertical you wouldn't get a truly great benefit from any of these things, just connect up any old RCA lead from the video out of your laptop to the composite in on your TV and see if you're happy with it!

Damn sight cheaper!

wow... the Roku HD1500 looks very nice!! I presume that it would support divx/xvid etc. This is definately an option as it would also allow me to play all my mp3s through my Denon surround! And it is even wifi wireless :) this tv is getting more and more expensive hehe

LOL

Yeah it's a lovely bit of kit, I would do a search on it though as there are issues with different codecs under diferent firmware (altough this may relate to high def playback)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom