1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC32GD7E - No Backlight control ???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jerkyboy, Sep 17, 2005.

1. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got back from my local Comet where I was playing around with the new Sharp LC32GD7E.

It looks gorgeous but I was very surprised to find no Backlight adjustment in the menus. I had a flick through the manual and there is no mention of it. There is also no mention of 1280 x 768 or 1366 x 768 in the manual, only 1080 x 768. ( although Sharp have told me on the phone that it does support these resolutions, wierd ! )

What the hell is going on. The Sharp P50 that was next to it has backlight adjustment and a much more comprehensive looking meneu system.

Have Sharp lost the plot. It seems that there new top of the range LCD has less features than the old models. The GD7 is one of the most expensive LCD's out there so surely it should be rammed with every feature under the sun.

I can only hope that the GA6 does have all the features that I want, or I will be getting a Samsung or JVC !!!.

GUTTED. I

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Sadly, I don't think the Samsung LCDs have Backlight adjusts either!

Absolutely insane, seeing as weak blacks are a big problem on LCD.

3. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    That sounds bad news for the GA6E as I`m sure the GA6E and GD7E will have the same panels and software :thumbsdow Dam you sharp and all the other manufacters not offering this simple feature.

4. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  5. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Random, I think I love you !!!!.

The GA6 has backlight adjust and supports 1280 x 768 in PC mode.

The options in the menus looks much more comprehensive than the GD7, they were very basic looking on the GD7.

A better acreen that does exactly what I want for £200 cheaper than the GD7.

NOW I AM HAPPY !!!!!!!!!!

6. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Doesn't the GD7 have a light sensor to automatically adjust the backlight depending upon the light conditions in the room?? Therefore manual adjustment is not required.

7. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thank god for that then - simple menus, nothing to mess with, turn it on and - now wait for this one "watch telly" strange as it may seem that is what it's there for. I was reading an article on Thursday that states manufacturers on the whole prefer women to purchase electronic goods as they got far less complaints. It appears that women are content to buy the goods and just use them as the manufacturer intended, whereas men just have to pull the whole gubbins out of them to "see how they work" and invariably end up breaking them TAKE NOTE!. I set my 5.1 system up 15 months ago and I can honestly say that apart from turning it off and on, I have not touched it since - it will probably last donkeys years like the rest of my stuff.

8. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If you have set it up properly, why would you need to touch it? I have had mine for .... hmmmm... at least 8 years and never touched it.

9. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    The point I was making was that once I have purchased an item, almost any item, then after I have completed the initial set up I rarely if ever mess with them again. This seems not to be the case with many people on this forum as they are forever posting that they have done this and that to their products, and you just know that somewhere down the line it invariably ends in tears. Next we hear is that they are slating the manufacturer for their poor products which to me seems a tad unfair.

10. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    What's wrong with people trying to get the most out of their purchases. If all this extra functionality is provided, and it's what we demand and pay for after all, then why is it unreasonable to expect consumers to take full advantage. What you're saing is akin to buying a fully fledged all-singing and dancing Cappuchino machine and then expecting people to just use the black coffee function.

11. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The point is Faust, a backlight adjustment is very important on an LCD as the the picture changes dramatically when viewed in the daytime compared to the nighttime.

The Sharp GD7 is around £300 more than the GA6 but has far fewer features.

At the end of the day when you pay £2500 (RRP) for a TV it should be loaded with features so it can be tailored to each owners preferances.

Sharp the world leader have dropped a Bo***ck !!!!!!!!!!

12. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    HOw do you work that one out if the TV has a sensor which automatically detects how much backlight is required and adjust the tv accordingly??

13. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes fair enough. This may work OK, but why the hell would they not allow this feature to be turned off and allow manual adjustment as is the case on pretty much every other Sharp LCD ????????????????.

Sharp have done me a favour in a way, they have saved me £300 !!.

14. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Sometimes it is required. "Automatic fix" solutions don't always work properly, as a lot of us have learned. Would you rather have "Auto Contrast" brighten and darken the picture by itself, or would you rather be given control of it?

I believe some people were even working on ways to trick the brightness sensor on a Samsung LCD because they missed having an option to adjust the backlight manually.

I don't quite understand what you mean, you're saying adjusting the backlight will help the set break quicker? Being able to dim the backlight to make the blacks look deeper would actually make it last longer. But I digress. Although we buy LCD panels with tuners built in (making them "TVs") not all of us are content to just sit back and watch whatever's on. Some of us use them for watching movies and the like and want the best picture possible for our thousand pounds or so. You make this sound like such an unreasonable request...

15. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Personally I would rather rely on the TV to automatically adjust the backlight so that settings are optimised at all times rather than having to mess around with the setting every couple of hours depending upon whether the sun is out or behind the clouds!

16. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then the GD7 is just perfect for you, good luck !!

17. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    im still debating which one to get, the sammy 32R42B or the 32GA6E,

and having just realised my cc limit is £850 i might end up having to plump for the samy, as empire directs webby says the instore price is £305 more than web price of £994. which is just crap seing as its only about 30 to 40 minutes drive from me

18. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I'll be the judge of that!!

19. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    The problem I found with the samsung backlight sensor was It was alright in the day by upping the backlight to max, but during late afternoon and evening I found the sensor turned down the backlight down to much making it to dark imo. Not sure what the sharp sensor is like but i`d rather have it on auto in the day and turn it of in the evening and set It to my own liking.

20. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    If anyone watched Click Online tonight at 4pm they were reporting from the Berlin Electronics fest, and one of the main features from the show was about making AV equipment less complicated i.e. less buttons and more automatic functionality Amen! to that I say. The less we can mess then the less chance there is to b****r things up. The old saying "a little knowledge is dangerous" is a very apt one it appears to me, certainly if these forums are anything to go by. My 5.1 has many settings e.g. movies sport etc. etc. and yet I never touch them. It is left on the movie setting for everything because I find it the best compromise. I don't want to be sitting down of an evening after a hard day at the office messing with sound settings, backlights and god know what else, I simply want to put my feet up with a large G&T and watch some telly. Who gives a dam if the blacks are slightly washed out, or if there is a bit of bleed on this or that colour, come on people lighten up and get a life.

21. hotmaj

hotmaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go into empire and they will price match their website no problem

22. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    This simply isn't true. Most of these devices are set up to look dazzling, sharp, and eye-catching in the store - in someone else's words, "like Times Square on speed".

Fair enough hiding some features away and giving an "Easy Mode" for people who aren't so into electronics, that's fine. But don't take away our ability to fine tune our expensive displays to give the best picture.

Also I'd question the intelligence of anyone who could mess up a TV using the standard consumer (ie not engineer/service) menus.

I agree with you there, and that's entirely the viewer's choice.

I get what you're saying, but that answer to that is: Video enthusiasts. The people who adopt this sort of technology early on and help refine it with their comments and wallets. I understand you're just a casual TV viewer, that's fine - but don't impose your views on nitpickers like me thanks.

23. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    But why are you a nit picker? I love gadgets and things of that ilk, I like my computers, AV equipment etc. etc. (well all except mobile phones - what are they all about?) but I like to enjoy their usage and the things they can do. However, one can take it to the nth degree and then it becomes an obsession rather than an enjoyment. You might get run over by a bus tomorrow etc. and instead of enjoying your products the time has been wasted finding fault with them. Example - although my 50Hz Panny CRT produces a cracking good picture via Sky RGB the geometry is crap, but do I let it worry me? no, I simply don't see it any more, and I don't see it because I am not looking for it - result = stress free viewing.

24. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Lyris

Your are obviously too young to know any better. But they are not taking away anything. We never had it in the first place.

It use to be that when you bought a TV, a TV guy came and set it up - take it out of shop mode if you like. In the days when you had to get out of your seat to change channels, you had channel, volume, brightness, contrast, on/off and if you ever ventured around the back, vertical and if you were lucky horizontal hold (or was it the other way around). The TV guy would tune all 3 channels in and go away and leave you. Since you had to get out of your seat to change channels, the only control that was ever really used was the off button when the white dot or girl playing 0-x-0 (Free Avia & DVE) appeared. As a consequence, most families either watched BBC or ITV.

Now these days are over, we have a society where numbers and marketing jargon sell things, 40 channels, 100 channels, DNR, Wega, Pixel Plus, 26", 32", 37", 40", 8ms, 12ms, 16ms, 25ms etc. When people buy these things, people want to see evidence of their purchase. There are stickers galore, buttons, menu's and 31/97 other channels or ****. Once the novelty has worn off, if it was ever there in the first place, people will revert to type - now we nolonger have to get out of our chair to change channel, people watch a few more channels (normally when adverts appear), the volume control is used to mute/turn down the sound of adverts, and for 99.9999% of people, the menu button is never used.

Now interestingly, Loewe still subscribe to the TV guy coming around to set up your TV set - infact it is a must if you want their standard 2 year guarantee. It is all included in the price, no an optional extra. As a result, Loewe TV's do not have many fancy user controls.

Now, the Sharp GD7 is apparently the 'Titanium' replacement. Well, previously the GD1E was the 'Titanium' range and this was a clean item - ie, it could not be distance sold. That is why you would not see it legitimately sold over the internet and if it was, it was not long before the company withdrew its product. The similar GA3/4's were 'dirty' products - Sharp allowed these to be distance sold and as a result, prices were more volatile and heavily discounted. The GD1 was Sharps higher end models and as a result, they wanted, and you paid for, dealer support.

Now, Loewe have had significant input into the latest Sharp models. It really does not surprise me that the Loewe TV guy philisophy has made it into the Sharp range.

99.99% of people want to KISS.

25. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Ah! how I remember the days of the little white dot, and what about the Epilogue with David Kosoff - now most of the younger forum members will wonder what on earth I am talking about. However, IanH64 sums it up pretty well in the above post. The manufacturers have got todays society hooked on facts and figures rather than simply enjoying the product - see through all the hype and what we are discussing here is nothing more than good old television. Wonder what J L Baird would have made of all this nonsense.