1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC32GD7E LCD Reviews

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by phlarris, Sep 21, 2005.

1. phlarris

phlarris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about this, I'm sure it's a common thread...

I've been looking round for a 32" LCD, and really like the look of the Sharp LC32GD7E.

What is the general opinion about the set? I can't find any decent reviews on the net.

Thanks

Phil

2. Holly80

Holly80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Phil

I have this set, and I am very happy with it so far had it less then one week. The PQ via prog scan is really good and high def clips from my laptop look very good. The only niggle are the lack of some controls such as back light adjust but the screen does all this automatically and seems to do a good job, I have not noticed any abrupt changes in brightness yet.

Freeview can be decent but is really varied depending on the content I find some programs do not look as good as I expected. It would be good if the broadcasters could improve the bit rate as analog is turned off.

Some people have said that PQ on LCD improves with the first hundred hours, my sharp does seem to have improved but I am not sure if this has any basis or just my eyes getting used to it.

Its a good set but I would demo one in a store first before buying.

3. av_master

av_master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same opinion as Mark. Quite pleased, but menu system quite limited compared to the GA6 series.
    Will post a review when I got everything working as I want it.
    Mark: do you get 1360*768 at 1:1 pixel mapping with a pc? It's definitely possible, but I just can't get it right with my pc.

4. Holly80

Holly80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Av master

I have not got a graphics card capable of doing this, but I can select higher resolutions but it wont sinc I agree it can do it but its a question of timing at 1024 x 768 i can still read text and see no distortions. I spoke to sharp about the menus and the guy there was abit surprised I asked if they would release a firmware update he said he would pass on my comments.

5. Dominic85

Dominic85

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any pics, thinking about getting one

6. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    avmaster,

Could you give us a bit more detail regarding the menu limitations (I currently have a GA4E which I'm more than happy with the menu / options etc). I'm seriously thinking about going for either the GD7 or the GA6 and would appreciate learning about the differences before I 'splash the cash'

Thanks,

jonandjen

7. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    upgrading so soon? think these are more or less the same as the GA3/4E versions. might as well hold on to the wallet for now mate

8. av_master

av_master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jonandjen, you can get both manuals from the web and compare. they're definitely on sharp.de but maybe now also on .co.uk.
    basically for the GA6E series it's identical to the 5E with some additions. For the GD7E it's much more limited ("redesigned" I guess), e.g. no separate options for image processing details like the quickshoot thing, OPC, comb filter etc. No backlight adjustment.
    Having said that, the screen does stuff automatically, and the preset modes are quite well calibrated. So in a way further calibration wouldn't really get you much other than time wasting. Only the absence of backlight adjustment is something I don't quite understand.
    If you don't want freeview and don't care for the nicer colour of the GD, I'd definitely go for the GA6, in fact it's the design only that made me get the GD.
    I'll post a review later.
    By the way, I got 1280*720 via pc vga working, halflife2 looks amazing.

9. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 37" GA6 on order at my local Sevenoaks, should be here in a week or two.

I just dont get Sharps logic with the GD7. £300 more for freeview and a nice colour, way less features than the GA6 !!!.

According the this months Home Cinema Choice, Loewe designed much of the software for the GD7 so maybe the Germans dont like to many options on there TV's.

10. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hey Jerkyboy did the assistant in sevenoaks tried to tell you that the GD7E would have a better panel to the GA6E by any chance? Cause when i went in the other week the assistant told me that the GD1E had a different panel to the GA4E and that the GD1E panel was alot better. Then he says the GD7 panel would be better than the GA6. Can`t say I believed him as he tried to say the GD7 looked loads better than the GA5, but considering the GA5E was about 6ft up of the floor and the GD7 was at eye height I would hope so :D

11. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharp themselves told me that the GD7 and GA6 use the same panel.

The guy at Sevenoaks (Bristol) was great, very helpfull, no Bullsh*t.

12. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thought as much, It was the nottingham branch I went to. The assistant was more than helpful but thought his information was inacurate, but then again he was probably just trying to sell me the GD7E which they had just got in. All he could give me on the GA6E is some time in Oct but most places I talked to are pretty sure they will get them in the first week of Oct.

13. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was told that they come in from Japan on 26th Sep, they will then be distriputed throughout the country in the next few days/weeks.

14. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    If thats so then hopefully some places might get them in this week sometime. I`ll probably go with empiredirect in the end as they generally get them in pretty quick and I won`t have any issues If I need to send it back for any reason.

15. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got an email from sevenoaks, they are in the country now and they are getting it for me next monday.

16. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thats good to hear. I`m still in 2 minds whether to opt for this or the new sony s series. I had a play around with the GA3E earlier with a freeview feed for about 10-20mins and the image seemed alittle contrastey. Hard to describe but whites stud out more than they should especially compared to the samsung I used to have. Then again I`m sure there are some decent settings out there to correct this as I saw a GD7E running a HD feed in sevenoaks and that looked amazing. Will probably opt for this in the end as It`s slightly cheaper and the HDMI port will be better positioned than the sony which is at the side of the tv. How much are sevenoaks compared to online prices then?

17. DangerMouse!

DangerMouse!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Anyone got any photo's they can show of this TV?

18. phlarris

phlarris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally went for the 32" GA6E.

Really pleased, but a bit confused by all the options :-(

If anyone has a set of values tat I could have, then that woudl be great.

Thanks

Phlarris.

19. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Whoever told you that was misinformed then; the GA6 is 16ms, the GD7E is 12ms.

I was all set to get GD7, but after contacting Sharp about it, it seems like it's an exercise in cost-cutting (stand is fixed now, speakers can't be removed etc) and things like individual r/g/b control as well as many other options have been removed / automated to simplify things. (r/g/b controls, backlight controls etc were confusing customers apparently)