1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC32GD7E - Anyone got one yet ??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jerkyboy, Sep 10, 2005.

1. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone bought a Sharp LC32GD7E yet, whats it like ?.

What PC resolutions can it handle via VGA, can it do 1366x768 ?.

2. av_master

av_master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep, got one. It looks, well, fantastic. Nice "industrial-style" design that won't go out of fashion. Very sophisticated - and I'm big time into design.

Only tried freeview: quite good even with indoor antenna from argos.

It should do 1366x768, but I'm just about to try it - got a new graphics card and installing the drivers.

I'll post an in-depth review when I've evaluated it properly.

3. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    av-master, what does the manual say about the PC modes ?.

The reason I ask is that I recently downloaded the German manual and from what I could make out it only mentioned 1080 x 768 in the PC section.

I cant beleive this can be right as pretty much all of the Sharps realeased over the last few years have featured a very comprehensive range of PC modes including 1280 x 768 and 1366 x 768.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

4. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Avmaster,

Where did you get it ? / what price etc ??

Seriously tempted to to take plunge, but just doing a bit of 'googling' for best prices etc.

Beechmans still best I can find.

5. yorkshire rose

yorkshire rose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hello There,
    Seriously Looking At Buying This Lcd,
    Just Need To Know Whether It Can Do 1:1 Mapping (or Near)

Any Info Would Grealy Be Appreciated,

Also Do You Know Of Any Reviews.

6. av_master

av_master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your questions:
    got it from beechman.
    1:1 pixel mapping: manual says XGA 1024x768 only, but then all manuals say that. Aquos guy told me it should be OK. Now trying, and I can get all kinds of resolutions, but the custom 1360x768 one on the nVidia panel doesn't give an image at all. (6600GT card). So you'll need to find the right timings. It'll happen, eventually. Perhaps even before I go mad, who knows.
    will keep you posted.

7. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an old 30" Sharp and this allows me to display 1280 X 768 in dot by dot mode. The picture is RAZOR sharp, just like a PC monitor.

AV Master, when you select the input signal from the main menu can you select various screen resolutions and is one of them 1280 x 768 ?. Also when you press the screen format button on the remote do you get the option "Dot by Dot".

Why would Sharp not list 1280 x 768 or 1366 x 768 in the manual. I have downloaded loads of Sharp manuals and all there screens, even there budget screen the GA5 lists one of these as a supported resolution.

I hope Sharp have not gone down the JVC route and given us crappy PC modes !!.

8. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    what is the difference between the gd7 and the ga6e apart from the cost (£300)?
    I will be using through vga (pc) and a ps3 so the extra money saved would go towards my new toy :)

9. av_master

av_master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mattg, diff is the colour (gd7e is nicer) and the digital tuner for freeview in the gd. rest is identical. the gd7 does not have the steel speaker grille etc that the gd1 had.

jerkyboy, I do manage to get a variety of resolutions with the 6600GT and newest drivers, just not the perfect 1:1 thing. E.g. 1080i works over vga, as well as 1280*720 and so on. I'm sure it can be done with the appropriate custom timings, but there are lots of parameters to be set. I'm just going to email them and ask for help, even if that means admitting defeat.

I looked at manuals for the GA5E series, and they don't mention 1366x768 either, though they do mention several other "standard" ones. Which remote button do you have in mind? There is a button that allows you to cycle through 4:3 16:9 Zoom, but nothing else (menu system has changed). Definitely no dot by dot option anywhere.

10. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Have you tried the latest nvidia drivers? Also can it do 1360x768 like the samsung does?

11. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The GA5E manual does mention 1280 x 720.

Has your GD7 got the Auto Sync and Fine Sync options in the Setup menu ?. This worked a treat on my Old Sharp giving a perfect PC picture.

The button I was refering to on the remote is indeed the one that cycles through 4:3 16:9 etc. On mine one of the modes is "Dot by Dot".

I am getting really worried about this Sharp now, I have been waiting 6 months for this new range and it seems they have dropped a few features.

All I want is a true widescreen ratio for my PC in 1:1 dot by dot mapping. There are crappy screens out there costing half as much that can do this !!.

12. yorkshire rose

yorkshire rose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Is This New Sharp Hd Ready,

What Is The Panel Response Time, Is It Less Than 16ms,

I Am Lucking At Buying A New Lcd And This Is In The Shortlist, Along With The Hitachi 32ld7200 And The Jvc Ds6

A Review If Any Would Be Nice,

I Am Sure The Weighting, Will Be Over Soon,

Can't Take Much More Of This (waiting)

13. av_master

av_master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jerkyboy: it does seem to have dropped these features, and I can't find autosync or the likes anywhere either. and trust me, I've tried. Just spent the whole @#&é'"é day on this nonsense.

anyway, I've written an email to support and will keep you posted.

14. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    yep this and the GA6e series are hd ready

sharps ga5e and p series are not fully hd ready

15. Sledge

Sledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you installed powerstrip to get the 1368x768 & 1360x768 modes? This will set the correct timings etc.

The autosync should be either the rightmost or 2nd to last menu option. Not sure if this only shows up when you have pc input selected.

16. av_master

av_master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    haven't used powerstrip yet. Though the new nvidia driver has these resolutions built in as well. Problem is that neither of them is 16:9 and the only options in the menu are 4:3 16:9 and zoom. so 1024*768 is 4:3 and hence gives 1:1. 1366*768 is 16:9 but I can't get the nvidia card to produce that over vga (will try dvi when cable arrives - supposedly it should work coz over DVI it's not limited to multiples of 8).
    I can get 1360*768 @ 61Hz (weird, huh?) but the tv scales it and text is awful. So it seems to me that they limited the timings the tv is willing to accept. In particular there is no "dot by dot" menu option anymore. only 4:3 16:9 and "zoom". Dunno what "zoom" really does. Scales up to fill the screen but not really proportionally.
    I hope it'll all work out in the end, coz I'd be majorly irritated if I just spent 1300 quid on something that doesn't do what I expected it to.

17. Sledge

Sledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I misread that you were using a VGA input. Not tried that myself as am using the DVI cable.

18. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Yes and 12ms.

19. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you set the PC output to 1280 x 768 does the TV flick into that resolution and say "1280 x 768" on the screen ?.

What I am trying to say is, does the TV display the correct signal that is being sent to it or does it stretch the image over the screen ?.

I wonder how the Xbox 360 would work with this set using the VGA connector at 720p ?.

I dont understand why the "world leader in LCD's" would make such an important feature (PC Use) so awkward.

20. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    come on lad whip out a camera and take some snaps:)

21. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sledge, Have you got a GD7 yourself ?.

If so, how have you got on with the PC mode via VGA ?.

Have you managed to get a pin sharp 1:1 mapped 1280 x 768 or 1366 x768 picture yet ?.

22. yorkshire rose

yorkshire rose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    as anybody tried getting a 1:1 mapping through dvi,if so what is the picture quality like.
    also is the speaker along the bottom detachable,

23. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any updates guys ?.

I am about to order one of these screen, but I need to know what the PC mode is like.

24. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    im itching towards it me self.

25. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    av_master, please give us an update on how you are getting on with the VGA mode.

How is the performing with DVD ?.

Would you recommend it ?

26. jt2000

jt2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my GD7 a few days ago. I was wondering if anyone has been able to get 1:1 mapping over DVI.

I have 720p running over DVI and windows media centre looks good, but windows itself is bad as everything is being scaled.

I can run 1360 * 768 over VGA and get 1:1 (a few blank lines either side of screen) the picture is amazing like this. But would like to run this over DVI for future proofing

I can get 1366 and 1368 to run over DVI, but the picture is rubbish. The screen itself thinks its running at 1080i and somewhere the picture is being up scaled to 1080i so lots flicker and not much good. (This is just a theory – no proof – will be playing a bit more)

27. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess 1366*768 is the max dot by dot resolution, like my one year old ga4 (have only tried 1024 but manual even says both 1280 and 1366). Response time is still 16 ms i guess, but this is enough even for football. Both ga3 and ga4 from last fall are fully HD-compatible by the way, Yaka (both have DVI).

28. av_master

av_master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so far I've only managed to get 1280*720@60Hz with my nVidia 6600GT. I did try lots of other timings (used powerstrip as well as the new nVidia driver, which is quite advanced for this kind of thing already).

the screen is supposed to accept 1280*720 - I figured that out using the moninfo program when connecting via dvi, so there are really no issues here whatsoever. And for games and movies, it's perfectly fine - you can't tell the difference between 1280*720 scaled and something unscaled. For text, it's of course substandard; I just switch to XGA for text at the moment.

jt2000 has got it working at 1360*738 at 1:1. Could you post details of your hardware, and if possible also the exact timings you use? (powerstrip or driver settings - these may be different numbers by the way). many thanks for that in advance!

29. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
  30. jt2000

jt2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually not in the country at moment – will post the settings when I get back on Sunday. I seem to remember switching the imaging scaling to fixed aspect ratio did the trick. I have a nVidia 6600A connected over VGA