Sharp LC32GA6E Review (with pics)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by doughy1882, Nov 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. doughy1882

doughy1882
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All. Firstly I would like to thank the members here who gave me advice and information when I was decided which LCD to buy. I hope that this review will help others.

N.B. Most reviews are biased as people usually find it hard to critisize their own purchases. This is no exception although I will try and be as honest as possible.

N.B. This is my first LCD and I have only viewed others in Comet/Currys on crappy RF inputs so I am not saying this is better than x or y.

Ordering and Price:

I bought my GA6 from: http://www.office-online.co.uk They said it was in stock and would be dispatched to arrive the next day. It was in stock and it did arrive. I paid £849 inc carriage and vat.

First Impressions:

[​IMG]

I unpacked the Screen and plugged it in. I can confirm it has the following:

PC RGB Input (15pin)
    TV RF Input
    FM Radio RF Input
    Component A/V Input
    HDMI + Audio
    S-Video
    1x RGB Scart
    1x Non RGB Scart
    A/V Input and Output
    Headphone Jack

The handbook is very clear and the remote is nice too.

[​IMG]

Picture Quality:

Sky TV (Amstrad Digibox, Strong Signal and RGB Scart) 9/10

[​IMG]

At first the brightness was way too high so I turned the backlight down to 0 (the centre position) and it is fine.

[​IMG]

I have watched some snowboarding and car racing and couldn't notice any problems with fast moving stuff. The programmes with decent filming look great.

DVD (Toshiba SD210E and cheap component leads) 9/10

[​IMG]

Had some minor problems. I needed to turn on the component feature in my DVD menu so I had to plug the scart back in to do that. My bad!

[​IMG]

I watched Star Wars: A New Hope (new version) on DVD and I was impressed. The space battles look great, even the fast stuff. The reflections on the stormtroopers and droids is great.

PC (I am using a RGB lead with an extension on it which I know has issues). 7/10 SoFar

Desktop + Movies. 5/10 Sofar

[​IMG]

I will complete the PC review when I have my HDMI-DVI cable as I think the extension lead on my VGA cable is causing some issues.

[​IMG]

The main problem is that when looking at a black screen there is a checkered pattern across all the dark image. Infact it is always there but you can only see it on dark backgrounds.

1. It doesn't happen with a 800x600 resolution.
    2. It doesn't do it during games.
    3. Last night it wasn't doing it, today it is.

I am fairly sure it will be cured by the DVI cable or maybe even a good quality RGB cable.

Games. 9/10

Games look great. I am still playing about to find the best resolutions as I am sat 6-7ft away and 1280x720 can be a bit hard on the eyes.

[​IMG]

BF looks great. No problems here.

[​IMG]

PS2 (PS2 to A/V Scart connector. In Non-RGB Scart)

N.B. Just discovered my PS2 cable isn't RGB. So I add to this once I have got one.

[​IMG]

Burnout 3 looked ok. It ran better in 50hz than it did in 60hz. I am going to play around with it and come back with a better review.

All in all I am very impressed. I have some small problems to sort out with the PC image but other than that I think I spent my money well. The PQ is good and the screen looks very nice.

9/10

Search Words: Sharp LC32GA6E LC32-GA6E LC32 GA6 GA6E 32"

2. bashtage

bashtage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice review. I'm curiosu to hear about your DVI-HDMI adventures so please post a follow-up.

3. unstirling

unstirling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the sharp and basically agree. DVD looks awesome and i've noticed no motion smearing at all either with any input. Sky and freeview totally depends on signal strength, some of my channels are great others are a bit iffy.

For those with xboxs, i'd give it 9/10 and thats only through scart. (roll on xbox360)

I'm interested how it goes with your pc as i've not tried that yet.

Why do manufacturers have their screens so bright as a factory setting. I dont think anyone could watch the sharps out the box setting.

Do you not think the remote looks like a window scraper for your car.

I'll try and post some pictures later.

4. Andykonyk

Andykonyk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice LCD.I want buy one too.doughy1882 you can put some pic from freeview or Sat programms?Thanks

5. nilsson_

nilsson_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great review! :thumbsup:

What do you think about the black level? Is black really black or is it grayish?

6. doughy1882

doughy1882
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon it's about 95% black. I just loaded a black dekstop then turned the TV off to see how much difference there is. Noticable obviously but not by much. The blacks are very good on what I have viewed sofar.

The 3rd and 4th pics are the duck and dog from Sky channel 999. I don't have normal TV so I can't show you that,

7. themanwithapc

themanwithapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Nice one doughy. Mine JUST arrived 2 minutes ago so I'm gonna try to set it up and get it all ready. I might be able to post some impressions of a proper SCART (AFAIK I do have one, not composite) and some other sources including PC playing DVD's etc.

Just a simple question. What settings are you using? By your impressions it seems like I will have to alter the colours somewhat.

8. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks for the review mate.

Hope you get the PC side problems sorted. Other than 1280x720, have you tried 1360x768 @ 60Hz PC resolution? If you can't select this resolution due to it not being in your display driver, you can add it with a program called Powerstrip.

I also look forward to seeing some ingame PS2 screenshots with RGB but component would be better.

If you need more component inputs, you could buy this:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-2b-70-3cb.html
    http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/product_info.php?pName=power-box-3way-ypbpr-component-selector

I have it and there is no signal loss when hooked up to my Toshiba 32ZP48 TV in the living room. I have my DVD Player, PS2 and XBox connected to it and plan to use it with a LCD.

BTW what differences did you notice with Burnout at 50Hz compared to 60Hz?

9. doughy1882

doughy1882
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HAHA . That's not simply for me yet. There are so many picture settings I havn't worked out what does what really. I have played about with them and some make more difference than others but I haven' put together any profiles that I am totally happy with.

Best advice I can give is to just play around with it. You can always restote the defaults if you need too,

I need to do some research and find out what all the things do and which ones to use to.

10. doughy1882

doughy1882
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah. It's fine (apart from the checkered stuff, which goes away if my TV is left on for a while, then comes back when I turn it off and on again..weird) just too small to read the text.

At 60hz it appears to be very grainy and dark. When it does the test at the start it flickers intermitently. I don't think an RGB cable will fix this problem as I have had no problem using 60hz with the a/v lead. But I will confirm that soon.

11. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Very strange, it could just be that the Sharp just doesn't like 60Hz sources via composite but may display them fine via RGB SCART or YUV component.

12. themanwithapc

themanwithapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Right, posting using my new TV. Only used VGA so far, but I have the same checkered screen as you have through VGA. Surely enough, it doesn't do it at 800x600, neither is it visible on other colours (haven't tried a game yet).

I'll post more impressions later, since so far it's only been a small test of it's ability.

13. spoons1

spoons1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,ALL,
    looks like a nice tv (lcd) getting a 32ga6,tomorrow whats the best settings to start off on with a sky+ box via rgb cable,
    regards
    spoons1.

14. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Any of you kind souled GA6 owners have the working code for sky+?.

15. wega3k

wega3k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks for the review and pics. Ordered one today from John Lewis price matched against C&M for £879 inc 5 year warranty. Pick it up on Saturday. :thumbsup:

16. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Nice review, whats the native res of this set.

I might be considering this for my 2nd set, the 26".

17. smoothy8r

smoothy8r
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like a really nice screen!

Can the speakers be removed from the bottom?

18. getdownmonkeyma

getdownmonkeyma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Nope, can't be removed. Cracking picture, even with the poorest of Sky Channels. Trying to find fault with mine, can't!.

19. BryanKitts

BryanKitts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hmmm... doesn't sound an ideal screen for a HTPC it it has these problems on native resolution. In an earlier thread a Sharp support guy claimed it worked at native resolution in VGA and HDMI too "depending on graphics card", so I'm very keen to hear whether anyone has any luck with a DVI/HDMI cable.

Edit:
    Oops, should have searched the forum first. Both doughy1882 and another user have tried DVI/HDMI without success in more recent threads:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263730&highlight=LC32GA6E
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262966&highlight=LC32GA6E

20. Messalha

Messalha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the time response of this model? I have readed that the GA4 has better time of response. It´s true?

21. salubrious_k

salubrious_k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    On the Sharp website it says 16ms.

I've just been reading an interesting article on Tom's Hardware that seems to suggest Response Time isn't a very accurate representation of how fast an LCD is.

The seem to performance test either the GA3 or the GA5 (it's a bit unclear as to which) here:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050329/lcd_review-14.html

And there they have it benchmarked against the BenQ FP71E+ which according to its stated specs has a response time of 8ms. As you can see from the graph the Sharp (whichever model it is) beats the BenQ on all but the brightest colours.

This is making me put less faith in the actual stated response time, and more faith in just going to have a look at the set yourself.

22. wega3k

wega3k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I've gotten around to watching some HD stuff. Island Fever 3... :devil: mmmmmm, god that's nice.

Watched 720p HD Lost yesterday from my laptop via VGA. Looked beautiful aside from one problem. In dark scenes (not black but dark) there was a nasty vertical dark green stripe pattern visible. This was in WXGA mode.

I loaded up some darkish photos and sure enough the vertical green stripes were visible again. This effect disapeared when I dropped down to XGA and SVGA so I'm wondering if there's a bug in the TV's scaler. I installed powerstrip and set up a custom 1366x752 resolution in an attempt to get 1:1 pixel mapping but got weird ghosting. I'll play around with the timing some more tonight to see if I can get this to work. I also find it a bit annoying that it's not possible to adjust the back light when viewing VGA input.

Despite these small gripes, I'm still pleased with my purchase.

23. salubrious_k

salubrious_k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I'd be interested to know if you sort that problem as I plan to do exactly the same (even with exactly the same TV series LOL - that and Battlestar Galactica).

24. wega3k

wega3k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Bit of advice about Lost. Unlike some other shows it gets posted to usenet in the raw .ts file format. To get it to play nicely you have to process the ts files to make one mpeg file using hdtvtompeg2 or similar. You will need to adjust the stream IDs as mentioned in the readme.

Then you might find VLC doesn't want to play the resulting mpeg so try media player classic (from RealAlternative). Media Player 9 probably won't have the codec.

Final hurdle is audio. I found the audio refused to demux properly so I had no centre channel. I think it should be fine if you just send the bitstream to your AV amp.

Let me know how you get on.

25. salubrious_k

salubrious_k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Why is it that everything to with computers always ends up more complicated than you first think it's going to be? :)

26. wega3k

wega3k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    And to think, people in the states can just watch it in HD as it's broadcast. But where's the fun in that? :D

I've been tarting about with powerstrip some more trying to get 1:1 pixel mapping on the telly. No joy. The TV reports that it can do up to 1336x752. The manual states that the display has 1366x768 pixels. Hmmmm. Anyway, 1366x768 is giving me corruption and now I can't get 1336x752 to work at all (it worked ish yesterday), now the TV just gets fed SVGA and I can scroll around the desktop. Can't figure why it's behaving differently tonight.

27. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    When setting your resolutions, try 1360x768. Graphics card drivers think in multiples of 8, they can't handle 1366.

Don't have this set myself, but was looking at it as a second set. Would be interested to know if you can get it sorted!

28. UnrealEck

UnrealEck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WHat lead do you use to connect your PC to the television? Is it done through DVI? If so, what is the name of the lead I need to use? I just ordered this TV too, so I'll be doing some PC gaming on it.
    Also, which graphics card are you using?

29. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    conn pc to tv you need either vga cable

or hdmi to dvi cable. if you already hav a dvi cable lying aabout then get a hdmi to dvi convertor

but with this tv hdmi to dvi wont give 1:1 according to peeps who own the set :rolleyes:

30. Fozzy17

Fozzy17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    ordered the 37" version today managed to get one, hope its the same quality is the same.