1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC32GA5E what are your views ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Manic1, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of getting this LCD, anyone got any advice ?

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Do you need to be able to connect the TV to a PC or have a TV that is HDTV ready ? Also, do you want detachable speakers ?

3. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no to all those questions, just want something that is going to give quality sound and pictures, we currently have an NTL Digi box....I do watch alot of football so would need to it keep up with all the action, I have seen it action with DVD played through it and it looked very good.

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Fair enough. A lot of people do require the connection to a PC or Hi Def future proofing.

I am extremely happy with my 32GA3 on Freeview and DVD RGB Scart. Freeview channels can get a little bit poor due to the bit rate but most (BBC/ITV etc) are really good. Football can be a problem though but this is due to the low bit rates from Freeview/Digital television.

There are quite a few people on here with GA3's and GA4's who are well happy with the TV. My suggestion is to read the threads regarding the Sharps and also kindly ask a shop to loan you a set for a week. If you do this, come back on to the forum to get picture settings to save you from trying to set it up for half a week !

Sound quality I don't know about the GA5 because the GA3/4 have 1bit processing and the GA5 doens't IIRC. The PQ should be the same as it's the same LCD panel.

HTH,

Richie.

5. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get the impression most lcd's suffer a little with live sports, like football, I wonder if my NTL digi box would fare better than a freeview box in terms of picture quality ?, wow trying to find a shop that would lend me a set I guess won't be easy, I will never understand why Sharp have stopped distributing the GA3 to the UK.

6. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Lack of foresight. They produced a certain number of unit but because they were cheap and well specced, they sold immediately. They didn't bother producing any more probably because they are on to the next best thing.

Richie.

7. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think i will take the plunge and just order the Sharp, the day I saw the sharp the shop had a really dodgy analogue feed on it which had a load of egg chasers running around a field the pixels where trailing whoever ran across the screen, what also didn't help was that the room they had the tv in was on 6ft x 6ft, and I will be sitting a good 8/10ft away from the screen.

recommend any decent leads, I will have NTL digibox + recordable dvd player, PS2 to connect up to the set for starters........

8. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm verry happy with my GA4. I thought I would take the speakers off, but have decided not. I don't yet use the HDMI, but will in the future. If these things are not important to you then it is a cracking screen. No problem with Sky - unfortunately I cant comment on other sources.

As far as the cables are concerned, I went out and bought some Belkin AV leads from PC World. Cheaper than monster but Gold and Oxygen free at between £20 + £30 depending on the type.

Hope this helps

9. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that, just got cold feet about making the switch from CRT to LCD.....empiredirect have IXOS scart to scart for £10 wadda ya think ?

10. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Search this forum for 'GA3 settings' and you will get a thread that has 5-6 different Sharp settings. This should help for a start.

Take a look at www.tvcables.co.uk or www.hificables.co.uk for connections. IXOS are good, I have a 5 metre SCART linked to mine.

Richie.