1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC32GA5E vs LC32GD1E

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Starfish_001, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Starfish_001

Starfish_001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for advice / opinions, moving on from my first post.

I want to buy a 32" LCD and am looking at spending up to £2.2k.

I would like to connect to both my DVD / NTL cable (Scart or Component) and my Media PC (Meedio or MCE 2005). I would like good PQ from all inputs. Including dot for dot from the pc.

The options I have found are
    V7 LTV32D PQ not good enough?
    LC32GA5E
    LC32GD1E

The Sharp LC32GA5E seems to fits the bill about £1200. This has no DVI connector. So I would need to connect by Dsub. The LC32GD1E £2200 online, has the DIV connector so its HD ready?

Now both sets seems to have the same PQ as best as I can tell side by side - any views? And bascially the same spec?

Given that I get my TV from NTL and HDtv is a way off for me is the better equiped LC32GD1E really twice the set of the LC32GA5E. Even with HDMI or DIV I could only connect one source at a time DVD, TV sig or PC

My thinking is along the lines of an extra £1000 now is probably what a better LCD will cost in 2-3 years time when I may or may not have HDTV in the meantime? So is the extra expense really worth it?

How much better than component is HDMI or DIV connectivity?

If broadcasters enforce copy proctection I guess I'm scuppered but are the DIV interfaces fully compliant anyway? Maybe a HDMI in to Componet adaptor will appear?

Any advice much appreciated!

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Don't make a purchase decision expecting HDMI/DVI to analogue converters to become available. It is a very big gamble and probably a 100/1 long shot.

GD1E is a much higher specced display than GA5E irrespective of DVI connections. Sound and build quality will certainly be superior in the GD which also has built in Freeview, titanium styled case, detachable speakers, memory card reader. GA5E may benefit from some of the Loewe picture processing and it has an FM tuner. Not sure if GA5E supports PC dot for dot mode.

However, apologies to owners of both for this analogy, the GA5E is a modern day Skoda, the GD1E is a VW. On paper similar, in practive, there is more to it than just a badge.

3. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi,

I was actually looking at similar options last week. Decided to go ahead and purchase the LC32GA5E (budget dictated this really!)
    There are a few differences between the Sharp models you mention, however i was not convinced by the large difference in price between the two. For my needs the GA5 was fine. I figured that by the time HDTV was widely available in the UK i would probably be looking to upgrade again anyway!
    I will (try) and post a mini-review on Thursday if i get a chance. I am just about to go and set up the TV when i finish here.

Major differences that i can find are this...

Speaker is detachable on th GD but not on the GA
    Digital input (DVI - I) on the GD but not on the GA
    Swivel stand on the GD but not on the GA
    1-bit digital amp on the GD but not on the GA
    Digital tuner (Freeview) on the GD but not on the GA
    Separate AVC (tuner box) on the GD but not on the GA
    (I think the GD as an additional SCART)
    Card slot for viewing JPEG files etc on the GD but not on the GA
    (Sharp website also indicates that the GD can record MPEG4 onto a memory card)
    They also state the GD is HDTV ready (although many manufacturers have stated this in the past only not for it to be strictly true! - confusion reigns - for me at least!)
    Both models boast Quickshoot technology and claim a 16ms response time.
    Panel resolutions are identical
    Finally, there is also the colour. GD comes in a nice titanium hue whilst the GA is bog standard (although still attractive) silver

Hope this helps, and as i say, i will do my best to post a wee review on Thursday evening:smashin:

4. DaveBUK

DaveBUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Starfish_001

Starfish_001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ianh64,

I agree build wise the GD looks much much better but

I have an excellent AV amp and speakers so don't need
    1-bit digital amp on the GD but not on the GA

And I have cable so a tuner and connectivity box are not needed at the moment
    Digital tuner (Freeview) on the GD but not on the GA
    Separate AVC (tuner box) on the GD but not on the GA

I just not sure about the HDTV ready being worth £1000 pounds for Digital input (DVI - I) that I'm going to use for the PC anyway - there is only one?

I was thinking that in 2-3 years when HDtv is reasonably common? a £1000 would get me anther set anyway or maybe a converter might pop up

Thanks - I'm still going round in circles over this

captaindobi,

A mini review would be great - pc conectivity would be very interesting

6. Starfish_001

Starfish_001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the Sharp LC32GA3E instead kinda half way house?

Hard to find but may be ....

7. Starfish_001

Starfish_001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DaveBUK,

Thanks my other idea was wait but ..... :confused:

The sets look good

8. Starfish_001

Starfish_001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    captaindobi,

hows the LC32GA5E shaping up, any little niggles yet?

have you try connecting a pc to it?

9. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hello Starfish,

Apologies for not posting a review as yet. It will now have to wait until the weekend (just haven't had the time).
    With regards to the TV, so far so good. I am generally quite impressed with the picture. Unfortunately i have not been able to connect it to a PC so can't comment at the moment (again, will do this at the weekend)
    As with most LCD TV's trying to achieve the optimum levels of black is quite tricky. I do have the DVE calibration disc that i will use later. The overall picture does look good. Nice & clean, with bright colours. Skin tones look quite natural too (?) (currently using RGB scart, component connection should improve results again...)
    Only issue, and i knew to expect this, is poor quality SKY broadcasts really do look pretty crap! However, a good quality SKY feed looks amazing.
    This is a replacement for a Sony rear projection set (KP44PS2). A truly amazing picture could be had with this behemoth. I wasn't really expecting the Sharp to match this in terms of overall picture quality but the upside is that i now have the other half of my living room back!
    Will post more Sat/Sun...

10. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine last Saturday, very impressed with it. The only thing I can't work out is that I have a pace NTL digibox and a recordable Phillips dvd player.

DVD to tv is Scart to component
    Digibox to tv is scart to scart via RGB
    Digibox to dvd is scart to scart
    and then a coax cable from the digibox to the tv,
    but when trying to tune the 5 terrestrial channels the picture quality is terrible, which I can't understand because it was very much the same set up as my CRT was. I know LCD don't cope well with poor sources, I intend to watch all channels through the cable as well.

any idea's ? :clap:

11. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't really believe the sony 44px2 is better picture wise than this sharp, it was probably a bit softer, but with good source the sharp should beat it (progressive through component for example) and it was a bit bigger off course on top of that ;)

Anyway keep up the reviews, i've seen it in the shop but still doubting about buying it or not....

12. mdroberts007

mdroberts007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I have just bought a brand new boxed fully guaranteed LC32GD1E. I actually want a smaller 26" DVI aquos set as i feel its a bit too big for what i want. If anyone is interested in buying this - I would like to sell for £1500. I have done lots of searching for this product and believe that the cheapest possible place on line is £2000 +vat up to £2600 in the shops. So its a bargain for anyone who knows there stuff.

I finally found a review of this TV which you guys might be interested in;

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5741

my email address is mdroberts007@hotmail.com

ps. I will be putting it on ebay in the next week if i dont get any takers.

Cheers

Michael