1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC32GA5E. Should I, Shouldn't I?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by RichA, May 3, 2005.

1. RichA

RichA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am considering an iminent move from chunky CRT to slim LCD. After some research i think I am there. Budget is c£1,200. Size limited to 32" due to an alcove it will sit in. And, most importantly, I have approval from MrsA. So...

1. Sharp LC32GA5E. This is my preferred choice. Based on looks, pq & price (from £1,025). Is this a good option? I know its not HD ready. But when will I actually get HD equip to feed it? I currently have sky+ and wasn't thinking of changing/upgrading. Please let me know if I am crazy and what the alternative should be.

2. Where to buy from? c£1,025 (incl delivery) at plenty of e-tailers. £1,300 at JL. Is the £175 difference worth the +4yr warranty? Do you have the tips to get JL to pricematch?

Waiting on the forums advice to get me to finally commit.

Thanks for your help.
    Rich

2. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    deffo not, current 'available' pick would be the hitachi 32ld7200 every time, imo of course...

3. Starfish_001

Starfish_001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked at this Sharp but hitachi 32ld7200 is much better in terms of connectivity, looks and I think the PQ is at least as good. The price is about the same

4. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would wait, Sharp have a new range coming out this September ish. These will all have an HDMI socket, unlike the GA5.

Whilst not that vital now, it will be in a few years time if you want to go HI-DEF.

5. kerplunkuk

kerplunkuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this TV a few weeks ago and after lots of fiddling I really like it. Having the speaker at the bottom makes it look neater than some of the others. It plays well with sports and xbox. If you had nought it before May there was a free 3Yr warranty with Sharp, but thats not much use now. Might be worth checking if it has been extended.

6. RichA

RichA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can't find any details of the warranty on the Sharp website. Presume that it has expired. I too prefer the underslung speaker.

Also don't really want to waity until September. Innitial price is likely to be higher and one can always wait for the next best thing.

Will have another look at the 32ld7200. May also look at the 32"tosh.

7. Zigster

Zigster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen the new Tosh 32WL56 advertised for less than £1,000 (www.buyyoyrav.com). It's also got speakers at the bottom.

So meets your budget and your style requirements. :thumbsup:

8. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I'd avoid the GA5 like the plague, no DVI means youre limited to component only as youre only true quality input. Have a look around for a cheap GA3/4 of do as others have already said, wait until the new panels are released.

9. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think some of the comments against the Sharp are harsh, its the same panel as the 3 & 4, alot of the talk about the 32GA5 not being HD ready and therefore making it a bad choice is crap, I could of gone for virtually any set including the 9986 but decided on the Sharp as the PQ is excellent via my digi box/DVD's....and better still it cost me less than a grand with the free 3 year warranty thrown into the mixer, so what I have done is dipped my toes into the LCD market and further along the line in say 3-5 years I'll trade up for a better set that will be HD ready.

I'm guessing half the people that look or make comments on this forum don't even have an LCD and are just regurgitating information they have read here or in magazines.....

At the end of the day it has to be your decsion if you have a criteria and the Sharp fits that criteria then go for it.....I can say with certainty that I have no regrets.

10. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Disagree, there really is no excuse for Sharp to take a backward step with the 5 series, HDMI/DVI will give a pure digital signal, which is what you really want on a digital panel, + no Hi-Def (HDCP) and in my case no DVI = no HTPC (I know it has a D-Sub but thats analogue), also with the panel being based on the previous model, is this model not getting a little long in the tooth?

11. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that maybe so, but in another way Sharp were always going to put out the GA5 series as a cheaper model to sell alongside the 3/4, what they failed on was not realising how quickly the stock of the 3/4 series sold.
    The GA5 was never a replacement for the other 2 models, it was always the plan to put it out.

and I say again its a cracking looking set and has a very good PQ, DVD looks excellent via prog scan component inputs.......all for under a £1000, the commitment is minimal for a step onto the LCD ladder. :smashin:

12. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think so. When I bought my Philips in december last year, the choice was between a Sharp GA3 and the Philips 9986. One store had only a single GA3 left (demo model) and said they were being replaced by "the new model". Another store said they would be able to order the GA3 with a few days delivery time, but then it turned out to be GA5 as well.

13. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yup, the GA5 is a bit of a gaff on Sharps part in much the same way as all the current Sony and Panasonics are. (Panasonic are getting there though...). It relied on selling alongside its superior brothers (GA3, GA4) but has now been left on its own to defend Sharps honour. Poor wee soul.....it really doesn't cut it. OK if you aren't future minded or particularly demanding of it.

The Hitachi is the obvious choice and with its removable speakers will meet with the other 'arfs approval. Do a quick Google on the Philips 32PF9976. This is a nice, HD Ready underslung speaker TV with a fantastic pedigree.

Jimmy

14. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I
    Manic1 is right, The GA5 was late and the GA3 and GA4's went before the GA5 hit the streets. a bit of a b@lls up by Sharp! I was told about the GA5 in September when I was buying a 37GA4, but decided not to hang on, l was lucky cos at that time the HDCP issue had not been raised.

15. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has to come down to personal choice, nobody but nobody is going to try and tell me that I should bin my tv because its not up to much because it hasn't got a HDMI/DVI input, I had £5 grand to spend decided to spend £1,000 and with the rest booked a 2 week break to the Bahamas, so her in doors is happy........

good luck to all of you still in making a choice.

16. kaarlito

kaarlito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this model have a very good PQ via digital TV? I am interested by thits LCD TV too (not interesting about HD)...

17. Zigster

Zigster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unbeatable are now selling them at £899. Despite it not being HD Ready, I can't help but start to feel tempted at that price.

18. RichA

RichA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Firstlty, thanks for all the responses. The feedback for this tv (at least on on this thread) has been mixed. However, I think it would be a fair summary to say that those looking for HD / a top set-up would go for the Hitachi, whilst those looking fo a goodlooking first step into LCD/cheaper set-up would plump for the Sharp.

When I first started this thread the GA5 was c£1,025. But, now it's dropped to £899 !! I was resisting the call before, but not sure i can any more. I basically come back to:

* It's a mighty good looking set
    * I like the underslung speaker (which will also be better in my home)
    * It's not HD - but will I want to spend more than my current £40 to get HD to feed it.
    * It's a great price.

Now, where did I put my credit card.

19. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Purchased the SHARP a few weeks back. Can't praise it highly enough really.
    Picture quality is fantastic with SKY+, FREEVIEW & XBOX. With DVD it is OUTSTANDING.
    At the new prices, it really is a bargain. You can easliy upgrade to a larger higher spec. model if the market dictates this over the next 3-5 years. My advice, is to take the plunge. You should not be disappointed.

The GA5 series was indeed originally designed to sit alongside the GA3/4 series. A lower spec. model with a price tag to match. As has been mentioned, the new range will be out later in the year. But, to be honest, you can always be waiting for the next big thing.

Anyhow, whatever you decide to buy, just enjoy...:thumbsup:

20. RichA

RichA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Credit card has taken the hit. Price matched JL to get the +4yr warranty...

And best of all - Pick it up Saturday...

So many thanks, Rich

21. pfd

pfd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did JL price match against unbeatable's £899? if so, was that instore or online?

22. RichA

RichA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They wouldn't price match the web. Just proper stores you can walk into, etc.

I did this...

* Went on to pricerunner.co.uk.
    * Looked up the ga5
    * Worked my way down the list - cheapest first. On each suppliers website checking "Contact Us/About Us" to find if they had a store also.
    * I found Crampton & Moore (Sheffield) & RGB (Essex) before I stopped.
    * Called JL Sheffield.They quoted me £1200
    * Asked them to pricematch C&M's £969.
    * They called me back & said Yes. (i.e. discount of £331 from JL ~ or equivalent to paying £70 for a +4 yrs warranty)

* Pick it up from Sheffield on Sat (they won't deliver under this pricematch deal).

Bring on the weekend...

23. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the new prices, it really is a bargain. You can easliy upgrade to a larger higher spec. model if the market dictates this over the next 3-5 years. My advice, is to take the plunge. You should not be disappointed.

Well done Captain that is exactly what I have been saying all along.

24. pfd

pfd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rich, are you going all the way from Putney to Sheffield to collect it? if JL price match, does it have to be a local store? (ie within x miles)? anyone know who's cheapest within x miles of Kingston?

25. RichA

RichA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was already going to Yorkshire this weekend. But it has made visiting the Inlaws worth it!

Believe it does have to be a local JL. However, i have read on this forum of people pricematching a JL store in the South to a JL store in the North (having pricematched them to a local). Could try that. Alternatively, as in my previous post work your way through pricerunner to find someone more local (I have already found RGB in Essex).

26. RichA

RichA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Picked it up yesturday. It is now installed.

Very Chuffed.

27. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Glad to hear you are happy with the TV.
    Just as a pointer, here are the settings that i have on mine (i have used the calibration disc DVE to help me with this)

Picture Mode = USER
    Contrast = 30
    Brightness = 1
    Colour = 6
    Sharpness = (-8)
    I/P Setup = INTERLACE
    Mov. Comp = ON
    Comb Filter = OFF
    Noise Red = OFF
    Dynamic Contrast = OFF
    Backlight = (-4)
    Dynamic Gamma = ON (Gives the picture a more 3D feel)
    Colour Temp. = MID - LOW

28. RichA

RichA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks. Will try those tonight.

Have another query? With my old Sony CRT the sky+ remote used to be able to control volume, power off, etc. Howver sky+ remote doesn't seem to work the sharp. Andy ideas? Thanks.

29. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Anyone using one of these (26 or 30) with a pc input? I know it's only got a d-sub input, I'm just a bit wary of trying to put a display that size via d-sub...

Anyone able to reassure me?

30. Zagge

Zagge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am quite sure that the d-sub as such is not necessarily a problem. Good quality VGA cable, even though being analog, is capable of producing a very sharp picture. For example my LCD on VGA couldn't be clearer. And I had a Medion 27'' that had very good picture on VGA.

However, it is unsure whether this Sharp panel can display the PC picture in its native resolution and _no one_ has been able to confirm this .... :confused: