1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC32GA5E and Sky Plus

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by JMF, Jun 17, 2005.

1. JMF

JMF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone advise what cables I need to connect a Sharp LC32GA5E and a Sky Plus box.

I have tried replacing the old clapped-out Scart to Scart (which gave sound and picture but not good quality) with a new AV4110 - better picture, and phono to phono for sound - but no sound.

I've spoken to Sharp who couldn't understand why I had a problem but seemed a bit unsure what cables went where. They talked me though trying all the phono sockets on the back of the TV but with no success and then suggested that I had the wrong cables!! They suggested that I get either a "component to Scart" or a "21 pin fully wired Scart to Scart".

The cable company seemed to disagree suggesting I try "s-video and phono for sound" until I pointed out that the phono for sound was where I was having the problem.

Anyone out there got the right answer?

Many thanks

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I'm not quite sure what you mean:

You bought a cable that splits the SCART output of your Sky+ decoder into a SCART cable for video, and two seperate Phono/RCA connectors for sound? This will be intended for connecting to an amp, I would imagine, and as such the SCART portion of the cable will carry video only, hence no sound. Typically the SCART cable carries both picture and sound, so you should just use one cable for conneting to the TV.

"or a "21 pin fully wired Scart to Scart". "

That's the one you need. Component to Scart? Yeesh... where did they get that from? Sky+ has no support for Component at all, as far as I know.

3. JMF

JMF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply

As you probably gather I am new to this LCD world - just plug in the aerial and away we go - that's me!!

After getting the new TV I read on the forum that the best cable to get was the AV41 but this only did RGB video and not sound. The cable people confirmed this and said I would also need seperate phono plug cables to connect between TV and Sky Plus.

The AV41 worked fine but I cannot get any sound using the phono to phono leads connected to audio output of the Sky Plus box and the Sharp TV.

I hope this makes sense to you

Many thanks

4. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The scart cable you bought only sends picture not audio.

The phono inputs on the TV relate to a different input (ie, the iput using composite or S-Video connection).

The simple answer is get the scart swapped for one of a similar quality, but which also sends audio information.

5. JMF

JMF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll get my cable swapped - the simplest solution is often the best!.

Many thanks both of you.