1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Sharp LC32GA5E - A daft question...

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Dan666, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry about this, but Im about to blow £900 on one of these LCDs and Im trying to take everything into consideration.

Basically, I was looking through the PDF manual when I came across the diagrams near the back depicting the dimensions - I saw that the SCART connections at the rear of the panel are mounted horizontaly - that is to say they point out to the side.

This could potentially cause a problem as I use Thor interconnects, the terminations of which are very heavy and have the cable coming out 'in line' (as opposed to right-angled). Also, the cable itself is quite thick. Im worried this would mean that once connected, the cable would protrude from the side of the panel and be visible from the front. Also, would this place too much stress on the connection itself? Ive had problems in the past with SCART socket connections breaking. And is it possible that the weight of the cable would drag the TV down on one side?

I suppose the easiest thing would be to buy a decent right-angled SCART lead, but Id need to be sure it was necessary before I spend.

I was hoping some of you GA5E owners (using SCART) would be good enough to take a snap of the back of your set - it would make things much easier for me to picture...

Apologies again for the paranoia!!!

2. dvd.collector

dvd.collector
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes unfortunately this caught me out. I have the 26GA5 and use a THOR scart lead. On the Sonix which i had originially the connections were facing downwards on the back of the TV, so the cable was hidden.

However i didnt check this when replacing it with the GA5 - and yes the cable sticks out to the right of the screen on my 26in version.

Basically I now need a scart lead which has a right angled cable rather than 'in line' as you describe. :thumbsdow

Pics attached... just try not to look at the hole in the wall! :suicide:

Attached Files:

3. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply - looks like it wasnt such a daft question after all!

Ive found a suitable IXOS lead for £12.79 from this supplier.

Anyway, how are you finding the LCD? I take it yours is wall mounted? Have you experienced any lip sync issues with source material like Freeview, DVD etc?

4. dvd.collector

dvd.collector
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Comparing the Sharp to the Sonix:

• PQ on Sky (RGB) is much better on the Sharp. Very Impressive in fact
    • Hi-Def was better on the Sonix, 1080i on the Sharp using my xbox really, really flickers (dunno if this should happen - didnt on the Sonix)
    • Range of connections better on the Sonix
    • Sound miles better on the Sharp
    • More advanced options on the menus on the Sharp for more tweaking

I've not noticed any lip sync issues, and overall i'm very happy with the Sharp.

5. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I was wondering if your Sharp has an I/P (Interlace/progressive) control under the advanced settings menu. If it does, setting it to 'Fast' may help with the flicker. I run my Sharp 45" at 1080i for Dig TV and have never seen flicker.

6. dvd.collector

dvd.collector
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    When using a hi-def source, I have no menu options at all other than contrast/brightness/sharpness.

When using Ext1 (i.e. Sky) I have only have a choice of Interlaced or Progressive picture - no settings for 'Fast'.

I do have it set to Progressive, but dunno if this applies to the Component inputs as like I say these menus arent available when watching a Hi-Def Source.

Only thing I can watch in 1080i is my xbox, could be specific to that i suppose.