1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sharp lc32ga4e PQ nothing special??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by meme68, Dec 2, 2004.

1. meme68

meme68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi, ive just received my 32ga4e from tvandvideodirect and having connected it via scart input 1 to ntl digital decoder...i am less than impressed with picture quality..lots of blur/pixelation esp. on fast moving images e.g.live footie...the fta ch.1-5(via ntl digibox) fare even worse ...dvd playback is slightly better though quite dark...also(unless ive been spending too much time playing with the various settings) my eyes are feeling the strain.Anyone else experiencing similar probs?...what settings do you use e.g for footie?Is this set only good for pc connectivity at the moment as my old jvc 25" crt was a lot better than this?

2. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All LCDs are will be better when connected to a PC. Quality on an LCD set will never be as good as a CRT, with current video. DVDs should look pretty good on there, but you'd need to watch HD video to see the TV at it's best.

Try playing around with the settings, but don't expect it to look perfect, because it won't.

3. AlShack

AlShack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 26" version, and it looks just fine.

Got a decent quality scart for the ntl digital box, and component video for the DVD player.

Looks bobbins if I'm closer than 2-3m, but from the sofa (about 3m away), it's excellent.

Adjusted the standard settings a little, but not too much. I'd reset to factory settings then just adjust contrast/brightness to taste, but do it frmo a proper distance away.

4. meme68

meme68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i havent set out to criticise this lcd as it is stunning to look at but perhaps my (and possibly others) expectations for tv pq performance were/are set too high...does a high quality(e.g goldplated) scart really make all that difference?how best can i maximize quality for both tv+dvd..what leads/connections +setup do you recommend?i also watch from approx 9ft away...is the pq on the lc26ga4e better cos it has same amount of pixels squeezed into smaller dimensions?(apologies if this is a real noob question)...will the advent of digital broadcasts in 2005 bring this tv to life?thanks for replies guys!

5. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is the SCART output on your NTL box RGB ? If it is, check the settings on the TV for input 1, make sure that is also set to RGB (Also check that input 1 can actually take RGB, if not use another one that can). If not, the signal sent from NTL box to the TV is composite which, not including an RF aerial signal, is THE worst signal to send video on. LCD panels have a knack of showing up bad signals !

Might be worth posting your equipment including model numbers and the connections on the back so we might help further.

HTH

Richard.

6. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NTL picture is cr@p anyway the best you can do is damage limitation with decent cables and as high quality settings as you can. i.e make sure the LCD is setup to recieve RGB off the scart and make sure the NTL box is putting out RGB as well. even then you'll see a ton of artifacts.

A decent DVD or HD content is what you want to put through it though as stated above.

7. amrypooins

amrypooins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    PQ is great on my 32GA4E, I had a play around with the settings and with my Humax PVR connected via RGB scart it looks great, and even with my old Toshiba 2109 DVD through SVideo it looks great.
    Viewing distance is a big issue, as stated abov. Viewed from a metre away it does look ****, but when you retire to an appropriate distance (about 3m or so for my set up) it looks beautiful
    I would suggest turning the noise filter on to high and lowering the sharpness to 0 though. Makes a huge difference in my opinion.

8. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes. They reduced the bandwidth of their TV signal to make room for more broadband internet users.

James

9. meme68

meme68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for replies ppl..got ntl digi to output rgb to scart and played with settings...better but...well i'll stop.Its better!Must get a better scart lead...any recommended and where?p.s wife loves the look of it and wants to keep it anyway...so im keeping it! :)

10. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought the IXOS XHT801-150 SCART for £54.95 from www.hifistore.co.uk service was great (received within 48 hours) and I was impressed with the improvement in both picture and sound. With the standard SCART I had noticed noise on even the best Sky channels. With the new SCART this is completely gone as far as I can see. The cable was selling cheaper at www.unbeatable.co.uk but they didn't have any in stock at the time

11. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    LCDs are devices of the Future, feed it a DVD or Hidef image via its DVI and it will rape CRT's, at the moment u are asking it to work with analogue low quality material, even if it is RGB, this material was designed for interlaced, crt television's that dont show much in the way of detail due to their small number of pixels.

The truth is if u want your Set to look good with low bitrate analogue material (otherwise known as NTL Crapovision) spend a grand on an Iscan HD it will take that crud, upscale it to 720p and clean up the blocky, noisy signal a treat.

12. meme68

meme68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  13. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    One that has a DVI output. The Denon 1910 has DVI-D out and 720p/1080i Scaling.

14. antomack

antomack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi meme68,
    As a matter of interest when did you place the order with tvandvideodirect. Am wondering as I'm currently waiting for mine and wondering how long it took for you to get yours.

15. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming that the 32GA4E I ordered nearly a month ago does turn up I plan to try both my old faithfull TView QuadScan scaler *AND* a Sweetspot card (plus DScaler) to see how they do at tidying up analogue source material. Anyone else tried either of these?

Phil

16. meme68

meme68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ...placed the order on 08/11/04...an lc32ga3e(speakers at bottom) arrived out on 17/11/04...phoned tvandvideodirect re.wrong tv arriving and was put thru to Matt in the warehouse who apologised and arranged to send the lc32ga4e out the next day...nothing arrived..phoned on Mon.22/11 to be evntually told that a)the lc32ga4e had been sent but stolen over the weekend here at Citylink Belfast warehouse along with another lcd for someone else and b)Sharp have discontinued the 32ga4e in preference to a new model ga5e...the stolen tv was the last he could source!
    Obviously unhappy i threw a tantrum(threaten to cancel order blah blah blah) and Matt rang me back within the hour to say his director blew a gasket with Sharp rep. and suddenly another 10 LCDs(ga4es)for backlogged orders were on their way.My ga4e eventually arrived on Tues 30/11.I have Matts mob.no if you want to try the direct approach??Good luck mate

17. meme68

meme68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    to all lcd owners...do you recommend the dvd essentials disk for calibration?and ive decided on the denon 1910 dvd player(thx for tip richjthorpe!)..exactly what audio/video leads would i need for dvi input and where if you dont mind helping a poor (despite havin a ga4e) soul out?

18. aspender

aspender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found DVE excellent, and spent a good couple of hours setting up my 32GA4E and my Denon DVD player via component. Well impressed with the results. The colour test patters used in conjunction with the filters they include were especially useful.

19. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well, I'm waiting for my LC32GA4E, but I have a Denon DVD3910 waiting for it, plus a Belkin DVI-D 3.0m single link DVI lead that I bought from Simply Computers for £15 including delivery.

James

20. reddom

reddom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This may sound a bit strange, but i got my 32 GA3 set up ok on friday, thepicture quality of NTL was good, but no better than my previous CRT TV, however watching it again today it seems much better. Its been on standby since friday. Its almost like it needed running in, now i don't usually take much notice of people who say you u should run everything from cars to speaker cables in, but i have to say that the picture has improved, without me doing anything, or even watching it so its not even that i have just got used to the lcd picture.
    It looks great now.

RD

21. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

How long does it take to use DVE and how does it work please?

Does the same disc work for plasma/LCD/CRT etc?

Cheers in advance!

22. amrypooins

amrypooins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Having had my 32GA4E for a few days now I have mixed feelins about it, but I am fairly convinced its down to my set up.

I have a very old Toshiba 2109 (1998) connected via SVideo and some DVDs have fairly good results (Star Wars Trilogy, LOTR) and others look terrible- Buffy DVDs are the worst, especially the dark fight scenes, full of trails and motion blur and blocky resolution.

I have kind of convinced myself this is the crappy old DVD player and not the limitation of the LCD, and am considering buying a new DVD player.
    Am I right?

I was considering the Pioneer DV575 to be connected with component, but all this talk of the Denon via DVi has made think.

Any suggestions?

23. aspender

aspender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The first 90 mins or so can be played through and will take you through a lot of the concepts and theory, as well as telling you how to use the basic patterns for setting brightness, contrast, sharpness and colour, as well as basic tests for 6.1 audio.

After that you are on your own to explore all of the other tests, which it doesn't really explain how to use/interpret (that's what google is for :D ) I found just going through the basics has improved my picture no end.

The disc is available in various versions, but the PAL component one is probably what you want. The disc is designed for all types of display, and the vast majority of the tests work with them all. However, the basic contrast test doesn't work on some types of display including LCDs as they don't have the same blooming characteristics as CRTs when contrast is turned up.

24. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    It doesn't sound strange. Why do you expect a LCD to be better than your CRT? You don't buy a LCD, or plasma for that matter, for better picture quality than a CRT. You buy it because it is bigger but smaller, looks better and suits your lifestyle. IMO Big screens just do not have the same PQ as a CRT.

As for running in, I agree with you there. When I first got my Xelos SL I thought I had made a huge mistake, but by the end of the day, and probably a few tweaks, it was looking great.

-Ian

25. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    What did you do to adjust the contrast? I think that I ended up using one of the grey ramps in the end and adjusting until the ramp looked uniform. Hardly scientific, but all I could think of.

Also, on DVI input, I could not get below black to be visible. Its there on component input. I have yet to get a clear answer on this one. Im hoping it is because both display and DVD player are using DVI-video (16..235) video levels. I'll be gutted if my display is expecting DVI-PC (0..255) levels but my DVD player is sending video levels. It looks OK, ie black is black not grey. Can't judge on white.

-Ian

26. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Have you got an AV receiver ? If so, connect your Denon to the Sharp with a DVI-I cable for video and connect your Denon to the AV receiver with either a digital coaxial cable or optical cable for best results or some quality phono cables if it doesn't.

If you haven't got a receiver connect the Denon to the Sharp via the phono cables at the DVD to the 3.5mm jack at the Sharp. Richersounds do a Cambridge Audio 2xPhono to 1x3.5mm jack.

HTH,

Richie.

27. aspender

aspender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, pretty much the same. I got the grey ramp looking like I *think* it should look. Contrast is the only setting I'm still playing around with.

I don't have a DVI source until the heat I'm getting from the other half due to buying the screen is off :D so can't help on the below black issue. Saw it fine on component as you say.

28. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Ian,

DVI can't pass below video black, but HDMI can. This is one of the advantages of HDMI.

I'll be doing the same exercise myself soon, if and when the LC32GA4E I ordered arrives.

James