1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC32GA4E HDMI to DVI experiment

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jgrg, Jan 26, 2005.

1. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have a Denon DVD-3910. It has both DVI and HDMI outputs. I have been using a DVI to DVI cable to connect it to the Sharp. I have a suspicion that the electronics inside the Sharp are very similar to the US models that have both HDMI and DVI sockets. You have to select whether the DVI input is "PC" or "AV" in an on-screen menu.

I found a very cheap HDMI to DVI cable on cableuniverse.co.uk (it was £9.02 plus £1.99 postage, total £11.02), so I decided to order it for an experiment. It arrived yesterday.

The HDMI output on the Denon can be switched between "R G B" (like DVI) and "Y Cb Cr", and the Sharp works on both! It looks slightly different on "Y Cb Cr" - maybe a bit more detail in the dark/mid parts of the image. The only difference between the two settings should be that it is either the dvd player or the screen that is doing the "Y Cb Cr" to "R G B" conversion. Maybe the Sharp's conversion knows about its specific colour profile?

So I think there is a receiver sitting behind the DVI socket on the Sharp that is capable of accepting most, if not all, HDMI video signals. And I assume this will apply to the rest of the G series too. (How I wish they'd provided both physical sockets!)

James

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    If the display is doing the YUV/RGB it is having to choose what colourspace to use - HD or SD - they use two different colour spaces REC 709 and REC 601 respectively. If the display gets a HD signal, even if it is upscaled SD, then it is very likely to apply the HD REC 709 colourspace conversion which will be incorrect since the underlying material is SD. This will result in, if I have got it right, a slight green push. This maybe what you are seeing. I do not think that it is a result of the Sharp knowing something about its colour response profile. If you send a SD resolution do you get the same difference?

I let my DVD player do the YUV/RGB conversion. It is a good quality player so potentially it can make a better job of it. It also means that the correct colourspace conversion will be applied, assuming of course that the information on the disc is correct.

-Ian