1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC32GA3/A4 vs Philips 32PF9986

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by sonysideup, Dec 6, 2004.

1. sonysideup

sonysideup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know, I know…it's one of those comparison threads. But sky's high definition announcement has thrown all my original plans out of the window. I was looking at the Sony KLVL32M1 but it appears that won't support sky's high def connection, so I've moved on.

I'm now weighing up the Sharp LC32GA3/A4 and the Philips 32PF9986 as I've been told both will work with Sky's high definition plans.

I'll give you the rundown on what I want it for and I'd be grateful for any input.

Basically, I want it for:

Films and DVDS.
    Football and other sport (I've been told the sharp has a good response time)
    Basic telly...soaps etc
    Kids TV

I also want to know how these screens will cope with poorer sources. Eg. Videos, home movies and general terrestrial telly.

As I say, any help will be much appreciated.

2. rnsdm001

rnsdm001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

The sharp GA3/GA4 are all dried up!

Theyve sold all stock (was supposed to keep suppliers going until February)and have discontinued these models, replacing them with GA5 (a lesser model)

...... so youll probably have to plump for the other set!?

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Although I'm a great fan of the Sharp (Bang for your buck reasons), the Philips seems to have a few followers who say the Pixel Plus works fantastically.

HTH,

Richie.

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The GA5 is not replacing the GA3 or GA4, you just need to look VERY HARD to find one!

5. rnsdm001

rnsdm001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes there are still a very small quantity GA3 GA4 kicking around. However the GA5 is definately replacing these models

6. sjb8080

sjb8080

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just started lookin for a LCD tv, GA3/GA4 were early favourites. Why is the GA5 a lesser model? (I'm looking for a 26/27 inch screen.)

7. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The GA4E is not being discontinued, according to a Sharp represerntative whom I spoke to recently.

As you'll see if you look at the recent thread covering this very issue, Sharp says the GA3E IS being replaced by the GA5E -- which then puts clear blue water between them because the 5E won't have detachable speakers or a DVI input, while the 4E does.

8. rnsdm001

rnsdm001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i too have spoken to a sharp representive and an aquos one too. They both tell me that when current stock (32") has dried up....which it almost has, there will be no more sent to suppliers, instead they are bringing out the 5 series.

You are right, the 5 series will not have detachable speakers, nor will it have dvi input like the GA4 does. The 5 series also has speakers on the bottom, I wanted the GA4 as speakers were on the side and gave a bigger profile.

The reason there is hardly any left (i dont know of anywhere that has any) is because suppliers lowered their price so much, they have used all stock that was supposed to keep them going until February.

Now I havnt plucked this out of thin air, this is what the guys have told me!
    Though I have also heard there is very limited stock being sent to suppliers (like 1 set to each supplier)

I aint happy about it because I want a GA4, so if you can tell me where I can get one that would be cool.