1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC26GA5E

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Tomdale, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Tomdale

Tomdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just purchased this TV and would like other peoples opinions on it if they have one. My main query is that sometimes I can see a 'watering' effect or a blurry effect especially bad when viewing close up. It is not so bad when further away. Is this normal. I have looked at a couple of Philips LCDs and these seem much clearer closer up. I went for the Sharp as most people on here stated that they have the best LCDS screens. Does it matter that the Philips looks better closer up - does this result in a better PQ when viewing about 6 - 8 feet? Vice versa since the Sharp look blocky etc closer up does this result ina worse PQ?

I am new to the LCD world so any help would be appreciated.

2. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Tomdale,

From my normal viewing distance (around 12ft) the picture quality on the 32'' version is fantastic.
    However, if i stand 2-3ft away from the screen then i can easliy see all the imperfections that would make watching TV unbearable. (The quality of SKY broadcasts are mainly to blame here!)
    What i am trying to say, is that the picture quality at normal viewing distance is the most important issue. However, only you can really decide if you are happy with what you are seeing (it is, after all, very subjective)
    With regards to the SHARP make sure that you have turned off noise reduction and comb filter as these are usually responsible for causing motion blur. Make sure that sharpness is not set to high (i have mine set at -5)
    and turn mov. comp on.
    How are you connecting your DVD etc to the screen and what is your main source for TV viewing?
    When you viewed the Philips screen was it being fed by the same source as the Sharp? Philips LCD's do have the benefit (?) of pixel plus which is designed to improve clarity and definition. The Sharp sets don't really have anything like this but, in my opinion, that's why they are capable of a much more natural looking picture.

3. Tomdale

Tomdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers for the reply. I am a complete novice at all this so some of the advise and comments on here I as yet do not understand.

I have NTL. The picture setting is set to 'standard'. I have set the NTL to rgb with the scart inserted in ext 1 (RGB).

Thanks for the comments on the Philips.

The picture at a natuaral distance is generally good with a slight bit of 'watering' when watching a fast sequence or football. One thing is for sure I would hesitate to go back to a 50 hz CRT.

Any other advise would be welcome.

4. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Tomdale,

Just wondered how you were getting on with the SHARP?
    Does the picture look any better?

5. Tomdale

Tomdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes - I basically use the standard picture option with comb & movie on.

Overall very pleased with the picture and the sound is really good compared to many other LCD TVs on the market.

I would recommend this TV to anybody.