1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC26GA5E best picture quality?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by nal, Aug 6, 2005.

1. nal

nal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bit of a newbie to all the modern connection types so looking for some advice before cables are buried into the wall.
    Got the 26" for the bedroom with external units in a cupboard (pace twin & dvd player) controlled via a pyramid. I will be running an aerial, scart, component & audio leads back to the lcd.
    Which input should I use to get the best picture from my pace twin which outputs rgb, this will be my most used input. A friend has said to get a converter to boost it up to component level. Will this be better than standard rgb?
    Also, one of the inputs has SD and HD settings what are those, did try it with my dvd player and the picture quality was outstanding on HD ...... can I use this for the twin? gave it a try but seemed to have problems locking onto the signal.

Inputs available,

Input 1 SCART (AV input, RGB input, TV output)
    Input 2 SCART (AV input/output, Y/C input, AV Link)
    Input 3 S-VIDEO (Y/C input), AV input
    Input 4 RCA pin (component)
    Input 5 D -sub 15pin, 3.5mm jack (Audio)

tia,

nal.

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Upgrading the Twin RGB to component is pointless unless you use an AV switcher that accepts only component or you only have component inputs left.

3. nal

nal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Ian,
    Excuse my ignorance, are you saying I won't get a better picture going to component. An AV switcher not sure what that does .... I was looking at a box from Keenes which accepted an rgb scart and outputed component. The dvd player can run on rgb scart as it won't be my main input.

nal.

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Absolutely, you will not get a better picture by converting RGB scart to component.

A box like this would only be of benefit if you absolutely need to use component - ie you have run out of RGB inputs or you are using an AV switcher (something that switches between multiple inputs such as found on AV receivers) that only accepts component or the other inputs that you are switching are also component.

Component can offer better PQ than RGB, but since you are starting off with RGB in the first place, you will get none of the benefits that component can offer such as progressive scan or higher resolutions.

-Ian

5. james_n_w

james_n_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just a heads up for you. I have this LCD TV, and I bought the converter you mention (APTUS1 i think it is) to carry the RGB output from my older DVD player to component inputs. I found it to be unreliable at best, with the TV often NOT getting the correct signal and hence displaying no picture. I initially thought it was the TV, but by the time I had had my 3rd replacement with the same fault on each, I came to the conclusion it was the adapter. I changed dvd players to one with progressive scan, and is perfect. So beware!

James

6. nal

nal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys, things look a bit clearer now .... in my head that is :D