1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp lc26ga4e with Denon 1910

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by vRSNutter, Feb 13, 2005.

1. vRSNutter

vRSNutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had my Sharp lc26ga4e for a couple of weeks now and yesterday got a Denon 1910.Now,the thing is,when connecting through Dvi at 720p i was expecting to get a border all the way round the picture (left and right as well as top bottom) because the res of the tv is 1366x768 where as i thought 720p res was 1280x720,yet i am getting a full picture.Does this mean the tv or dvd is upscaling as i was expecting dot for dot(or whatever its called). :confused:

2. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    whats the aspect ratio of the film ??

some aspects give very minimal borders others give the proper watching it through a letterbox look

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Unlike certain 'popular' displays, the Sharp allows you to decide whether to upscale the 720p or view it on dot for dot mode with borders. To get dot for dot mode, you need to select the digital source as a Digital PC then select dot for dot mode.

I am not 100% sure of this but, in doing to, you may loose dynamic range of blacks, ie blacks will thus look grey and whites will not be bright. Im only guessing here, but in PC digital mode, I would expect the display to accept DVI-PC level input and in AV mode, I would expect it to accept DVI-Video level input. The range of DVI-PC is 0..255, for DVI-Video it is 16..235. So video black 0 IRE is actually 16, which would correspond to some grey shade in DVI-PC mode. It would be nice for someone to check this with DVE or Avia etc.

-Ian

4. vRSNutter

vRSNutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers guys,got it in dot for dot now,but the whole picture is pushed over to the left side with no option to repositon in the centre(which i think would look better).Think i'll stick to letting the sharp upcale as it looks fine to my eyes,and alot neater filling the screen than a huge black border down one side.

5. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would be very interested to hear how the picture quality of the Denon 1910 DVI output compares with a regular interlaced analogue DVD output.

Big improvement / small improvement / no visible difference?? Thanks

6. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It is not possible to turn off the scaler of the Sharp. Because the picture is upscaled the sharp does not recognize the native resolution I guess and the only picture size mode is "FULL" you can't choose "dot to dot" etc. Those options are only available in 480p/576p. Connected with a PC you can choose the resolution (1024x768, 1280x768, 1366x768) and then "dot to dot" but not with a DVD Player. Not in AV-Digital mode neither PC-Digital

There's no way to get a dot to dot picture via DVI-DVD Player (Denon 1910, Samsung 745) as far as I know and a GD or GA Sharp.

For me this is no problem. A DVD is worse in resolution than 720p if it is upscaled or not the scratches and artifacts of the original are still there.

Somebody that expects a noiseless, razorsharp picture of a cheap DVD-Player with built in scaler will be disappointed. From distance the picture of my HD745 is nearly perfect but if I look close... :clown:

7. jucame

jucame
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well something happens once you connect a PC (PB Mac in my case) and play a little with it, when you go back to DVD with DVi then strange things happens, you can use now always PC digital and upscale till 1366X768 and dot to dot etc but you can´t go back to normal if you use SV digital, maximun you can get is 570p otherwise it says "Out of Range" and no picture, is weird somebody can explain this? i have a HD745 and a Sharp 26 G4 :(

8. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

hmm I had mine on the pc a few times before... no problems...

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Apologies. I thought that the GA series worked the same as the GD series. When I was looking for a screen, I ran my HDMI DVD player in dot for dot mode in PC-Digital with a 37GD1E and got the border. I just assumed that the GA's would provide the same.

[EDIT]Actually, I was probably running at 60Hz. So it would be possible if you FRC PAL material to 60Hz of, if the player allows, set it to output NTSC or play an NTSC disc. This would have been with 720p/60 and 1024x768p60 as reported by the Sharp EDID[/EDIT]

-Ian

10. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I had a 32GD1E and it didn't work with the borders... NTSC and PAL my DVI Samsung HD745 wasn't able to do "dot for dot"...

strange :confused:

11. vRSNutter

vRSNutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    To be honest i have only tried it with the supplied composite cable (on saturday) other than the Dvi lead i have now (purchased on sunday).Wouldn't say it was a massive improvement but it certainly does look better to my eyes.